Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's the same ol story. You get what you pay for. Americans for years wanted low taxes for the middle class, and they were not willing to pay each other livable wages. Well, you get what you pay for. The roads are in terrible shape, the school system sucks, the bridges are crumbling, the houses built in the past 10-15 years are pieces of crap that shouldn't even pass inspection... We are willing to pay CEOs 10X as much as everywhere else for delivering 10X less, unless you are a shareholder. Today we have a very hollow country, driven by a very hollow economy, occupied by very hollow people. It's no wonder we are the most medicated, obese and materialistic society the world has ever seen. It's also no wonder forefingers come here and kick our butts doing the jobs we deem below us, while we collect unemployment checks.
Yep, that about sums it up. The "tree of liberty" in this nation is a rotten, crumbling, hollow corpse.

We could fix this, if folks were willing to pay what it took to ensure we all had a living wage. That would result in more jobs, retraining into what's in demand, and so on. It would also push out illegals who are only here because companies can pay them dirt wages because nobody wants to pay a living wage if it cuts into their own pocket.

In the long run, divided we fall, everyone guarding their own pocketbook until the bitter end, even as the jobs vanish and the currency becomes increasingly worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 PM

640 posts, read 1,215,040 times
House Cleaning Position - Experienced only need apply

Experienced ONLY, read the job....and logic rules out

Old 07-28-2012, 01:12 PM

29,831 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
House Cleaning Position - Experienced only need apply

Experienced ONLY, read the job....and logic rules out
Than don't apply for the job! There will always be employers demanding experience, and this is not a new phenomena. Because you see it as a job beneath you and your social status does not change that, or make it an unusual circumstance. When the employers can't find the experienced workers they want, they train more. Same as it always was. It does not mean life is unfair.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

Employment is slavery.
Wrong. It is barter.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:21 PM

5 posts, read 8,124 times
i never finished any college ( i only have HS diploma ) and landed a 45k/yr job. i got lucky i guess! especially in this economy! but everyday i go to work and pray that they dont do lay offs(which they do frequently)

Old 07-28-2012, 02:23 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaxist View Post
i never finished any college ( i only have HS diploma ) and landed a 45k/yr job. i got lucky i guess! especially in this economy! but everyday i go to work and pray that they dont do lay offs(which they do frequently)
How long have you been in the work force?

In other words, how much experience do you have?

If you have, say, 5 years of experience under your belt already, you'll be less likely to have a problem finding work and making a good living than, say, a college graduate with little/no experience.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

If you have, say, 5 years of experience under your belt already, you'll be less likely to have a problem finding work and making a good living than, say, a college graduate with little/no experience.
Wrong. My friend got a $13/hr job as a CNC laser tech at a fabrication shop about a year ago. It took some convincing to get him to actually give an actual trade a try, with his HS diploma and no college degree to offer to the world and all... He makes $15/hr today. The only threat for him is this economy is a piece of crap that has been ruined by the United States of Goldman Sachs and a lot of impressionable folks willing to ride the "prosperity train" down the toilet to the sewer pipes.

Work is work, the same as it always was. You can either follow a string of directions, or you're basically worthless to the demands of the free market private sector enterprise.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:21 PM

808 posts, read 1,679,309 times
What trades really even exist in america? And when I say that I know they are out there, but what are they? Aside from the obvious. Electrician, plumber, carpenter. I mean where you're working in a plant making things, less fixing things.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:30 PM

5 posts, read 8,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

i went to a training school for IT. 6 month in class, 6 month internship. so ONE year total. then i got hired by the same company i had internship in. but otherwise they said they wouldnt even look at my resume...

i had 0 experience

Old 07-28-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
What trades really even exist in america? And when I say that I know they are out there, but what are they? Aside from the obvious. Electrician, plumber, carpenter. I mean where you're working in a plant making things, less fixing things.
Haha, go talk to all the carpenters and ask how they feel about their career... Not making fun, as work is work, but it's a pretty easy trade, which is why all the illegals are taking their work.

I work as a machinist. Not in a plant, as plant workers make garbage and do basically blue collar burger flipping thanks to automated technology. I do short run production, fixture making, and prototype work. As a trade, if you can do the work, there are ALWAYS places you can go. The problem is, most Americans do not think 45K or so is worth the kind of work I do. If they saw what I do for a living, the number crunching and level of perfection I am expected to achieve, they would demand and expect 80K at least. The free market is largely rejecting their demands, but we'll see... I think I will keep my day job in the mean time.

There are also plenty of repair work machine shops, no matter what your HS counselors tell you. In fact, in my area, we do a lot of repair work. We had a guy bring in a couple extruder pistons last week. His shop can't run without them. We fixed them just before lunch. Our shop made money, and he could get his extruder lines working again. That is how the free market operates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment