Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 03:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,195,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
B
Said individual doesn't understand how complicated the situation is. Consider the source.
Go ahead....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,609,049 times
the minimum-wage jobs have the highest hiring-standards but for the least amount of pay

Old 11-21-2018, 09:12 PM

5,512 posts, read 4,488,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Your logic doesn't pan out here.

It doesn't change government payout. Instead of one person receiving ϑ, now two people would receive ϑ/2. Government payout would be the same. This is all theory of course... because someone making $8/hr right now is probably also getting government assistance.

I don't think we've changed demand at all. $8/hour was being pumped into the economy by one job before and now $8/hour is being pumped into the economy via 2 jobs. The dollar amount stays the same. The difference is that now there is twice as much productivity for the business, and two people gaining experience rather than one sitting on the sidelines never getting an opportunity.

Again, this is all just food for thought based on the previous poster who said they absolutely would work for $4/hour. I wonder how many others would.
Businesses can make MORE money by hiring the same number of employees, make them work just as hard as they did when making $8/hr. How many times has the C-D said "businesses aren't charities?". Businesses will say whatever they want to appease crowds like us, but in the end, I would be very skeptical when they make claims that "sure, we'll hire twice as many people because 'now, we can'".

Old 11-21-2018, 09:15 PM

5,512 posts, read 4,488,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Excellent point. Especially younger people entering the workforce for the first time at minimum wage - oftentimes one has to start at the bottom and work their way up. Many of us sucked it up early in life doing a mundane job for minimum wage - fast forward 10-15 years and we're doing much better in terms of both the jobs we do and the money we make.

If someone in the work-force is still making working for minimum wage because they are not qualified to do any other type of job...the job is likely not the problem.

In my case, I worked for minimum wage in college delivering pizzas for 3 years - in order to help me pay for my degree, which then allowed me to go to grad school, which allowed me to get a real entry level job in my field, which eventually led to me having the job, position and salary that I have now.
Would you be willing to share when you went to college? These days, some kids are forgoing MW jobs to pour more time into their studies, and otherwise have fun while they still can (when getting a real job, you need time to build up PTO). It barely pays the cost of textbooks, whereas decades back... 80s, 70s, etc.... you could cover your whole tuition.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:13 PM

5 posts, read 2,335 times
It's a disposable dime a dozen type work environment. Retail, food service- anyone can apply, and you can leave easily too.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:22 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,414,120 times
huh, because they work for minmum wage

Old 11-22-2018, 07:04 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,476,346 times
They are generally terribly jobs. I totally understand why a person would want to do nothing and collect government benefits instead of doing the jobs. That setup is the fault of governments, especially the United States' federal government, for putting into place incentives that dis-incentivize work and incentivize getting free government handouts.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:23 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,904,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Why do they fire their employees for the most trivial things?
Because there's a broke sucker born every minute to replace them.

If people didn't pop out kids they couldn't afford - Retailers would not be able to do this.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:03 AM

34,119 posts, read 17,183,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
The answer to your first question is in the question; because the job is minimum wage. Companies tend to fire their employees over trivial things because minimum wage workers are a dime a dozen and are easily replaceable.

Voluntary attrition is also sky high, as these jobs are a dime a dozen.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:06 AM

34,119 posts, read 17,183,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
the minimum-wage jobs have the highest hiring-standards but for the least amount of pay
LOL. Just the reverse.

Better jobs have multiple rounds of interviews, multiple people each time, plus phone screens to talk for 30-60minutes to weed out those not worth investing time in for round one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment