Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
They are worth their labor value at minimum.

By the way, the majority of low wage workers have high school diplomas and are at least semi skilled.

The half illiterate person who cant do anything at all would probably be chronically unemployed, and as a society, we need to either develop their skills (not at their expense), or deem them handicapped.
FYI--Half of the people who come in to apply for our unskilled labor positions left high school in 10th grade and never got a GED and have no marketable skills.

Their lack of skills is not my problem, nor should my tax dollars be required to pay for their bad choices. They can get a GED for free and take a student loan for our inexpensive (not-for-profit) county vo-tech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:09 AM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc212 View Post
Oh dear, not....roommates, I gotta have my own house!

It's really not bad, for some reason Americans have a huge aversion to living with other people. I live with someone else because it costs less than half of what available apartments cost here. I could afford to live somewhere else, but I just don't need to, and don't really care to right now.

Upwards of 10% of people who graduate high school now can't even read. That's not semi-skilled, HS has become an absolute joke.
There is no reason people should be expected to plan on having roommates long term to get by. What happens if your house buddy decides to take you checkbook or snags some personal information?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
There is no reason people should be expected to plan on having roommates long term to get by.
Why not? It is more economical, heck some people who can afford to live alone instead have roommates because it is a wiser financial move. Others do it despite making decent buck so they can live in a very high priced area.

When did shared living space become such a taboo?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
There is no reason people should be expected to plan on having roommates long term to get by. What happens if your house buddy decides to take you checkbook or snags some personal information?
The same thing could happen if you live alone and have guests.

If people don't want to have roommates, they need to address their deficiencies and get some marketable job skills. It's a matter of personal responsibility, and for those who don't choose to take responsibility for themselves, they'll have roommates for the rest of their life. Why anyone should expect otherwise is beyond me.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Why not? It is more economical, heck some people who can afford to live alone instead have roommates because it is a wiser financial move. Others do it despite making decent buck so they can live in a very high priced area.

When did shared living space become such a taboo?
Agreed. I have a single friend who makes $150K a year, owns a large home and has a housemate. The housemate's rent pays for a major home improvement every year and allows her to put more into savings.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 AM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
There is nothing wrong with it if you an trust the person. I myself had a roommate for the past year. Saved a lot of extra money, so now I'm comfortable paying for a nice studio, which I sign a lease for today. Can't wait. For me personally though, I feel roommates are not good long term options. That's just me though.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:52 AM

200 posts, read 505,090 times
The tables are starting to turn on employers. I am a retail manager and make more than most in this struggling economy but with the hours I put in I feel like nothing more than a slave. I have now been relocated by my job to a vibrant city where lots of large companies are headquartered. I have previously been in places where it's only healthcare workers making a living wage.

I am now trying to land myself one to two, quality, job interviews per week. The only catch is I use my being employed to my advantage, and hopefully to those unemployed's advantage too. What I do is very simple, I counter offer their ridiculously low offer with my ridiculously high offer. I go on Payscale.com and Glassdoor.com to see what people in the same position are making and make sure my counter offer is at least 10% higher than what the highest reported income is for that position on a site like Payscale.

I look at it like this, I'm young (30), college educated, military officer, and I'm putting up impressive numbers with a large retailer. If you don't want a leader like me right now, I can wait another year or two for more Baby Boomers to die or retire. Can employers stand to go without replacing that leadership for that long? I'm also gainfully employed so employers can't really use the I'm lazy with no drive argument against me. As the Boomer majority slowly dies or retires I can only imagine a job hopping craze like there was during the dot.com boom will resurface.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Oh dear, not....roommates, I gotta have my own house!

It's really not bad, for some reason Americans have a huge aversion to living with other people. I live with someone else because it costs less than half of what available apartments cost here. I could afford to live somewhere else, but I just don't need to, and don't really care to right now.
It is really that bad. Living with roommates ensures that you have limited privacy, subjects your stuff to theft or destruction, subjects your person to the actions of the roommates or their guest, and forces you to sacrifice autonomy in your own dwelling.

Quote:
Upwards of 10% of people who graduate high school now can't even read. That's not semi-skilled, HS has become an absolute joke.

Semi skilled is not defined as just graduating high school. There are plenty of general maintenance people being paid dirt, the lowest rungs of the health care industry are paid dirt, construction helpers and apprentices are paid dirt, many automechanics are paid dirt, many admin "professionals" are being paid $10 an hour or less, line cooks and even many chefs are making dirt.

In fact, nearly every single thing you could have learned how to do in the vo-tech class I attented in 1998, qualified you to make not much more then minimum wage.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,198,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
FYI--Half of the people who come in to apply for our unskilled labor positions left high school in 10th grade and never got a GED and have no marketable skills.
This is not representitive of the population on a whole, not even remotely. 87.58% of the population has a high school degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Their lack of skills is not my problem, nor should my tax dollars be required to pay for their bad choices. They can get a GED for free and take a student loan for our inexpensive (not-for-profit) county vo-tech.
So, they should go in debt, and add to the trillion dollar student loan overhang, in the "hopes" that they might land a job, dispite the US workforce already being significantly underemployed.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
This is not representitive of the population on a whole, not even remotely. 87.58% of the population has a high school degree.

So, they should go in debt, and add to the trillion dollar student loan overhang, in the "hopes" that they might land a job, dispite the US workforce already being significantly underemployed.
There has to be an analysis done to determine whether the education increases one's probability of becoming hired. Only 20% or of the population is unemployed or underemployed. You have to do what it takes to get yourself out of that bottom 20%. That's your responsibility. In many cases, education helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment