Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:33 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35;
Tons of kids go to grad school and hide out they hope the economy will improve . The biggest college class ever started in 2008. It was 2.8 million kids they will done this year or next year where are they going to work. I will tell you nowhere because their is no 2 to 3 million new jobs.
Yeah I agree, a lot of people went into hiding and enrolled into colleges hoping that once they get out, this economy would have improved. Well they just got into more debt and no it doesn't seem like the econ has gotten better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
These are probably government jobs.
Every two years, the government tells the media that the economy will improve in two more years.

Anyone with eyes can see the avalanche.

Until they start building factories and hiring janitors to engineers...

Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Either you are uniformed or you are lying. Either way here is REALITY.

The CPI is compiled monthly by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Data collectors survey 23,000 retail and service establishments and 50,000 landlords every month and collect price data on about 80,000 items. The items are grouped into 8 categories:

Food and beverages
Housing
Apparel
Transportation
Medical care
Education and communication
Other goods and services

That's because most industries outsource, agriculture is outsourced...has nothing to do with whether high quality jobs are created. The CPI doesn't reflect the quality or livable wage jobs that are either created or available.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:55 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,036,445 times
I'm disappointed to see that there are those who think that changing presidents is going to fix this mess. Both the Democrats and the Republicans sold us out: NAFTA (both of them involved), China (both involved), and the Housing Bubble (both involved.) Remember that the economy crashed under "Dubya's" watch, and his solution - which was supported by both Obama AND McCain - was to hand over trillions of dollars to the bankers who created the mess and ask no questions. Obama is a failure of a leader, but Romney will do no better. This situation is not going to improve until there is a fundamental shift in how business is handled in this nation, and one of the first changes needs to be an end to the notion that people are "labor units" to be discarded freely when cheaper labor is available in some heck-hole nation on the other side of the world.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:05 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I'm disappointed to see that there are those who think that changing presidents is going to fix this mess. Both the Democrats and the Republicans sold us out: NAFTA (both of them involved), China (both involved), and the Housing Bubble (both involved.) Remember that the economy crashed under "Dubya's" watch, and his solution - which was supported by both Obama AND McCain - was to hand over trillions of dollars to the bankers who created the mess and ask no questions. Obama is a failure of a leader, but Romney will do no better. This situation is not going to improve until there is a fundamental shift in how business is handled in this nation, and one of the first changes needs to be an end to the notion that people are "labor units" to be discarded freely when cheaper labor is available in some heck-hole nation on the other side of the world.
I am no financial analyst but I agree with your points above. Obama is said to be doing something about China; but I feel that will go no where. The only way will be to stop buying their product and the US consumer won't be able to do that.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Not trying to get all political---

But the "bail outs" in many cases HAD to occur. You think things are bad now? If some of these bail outs did not happen you would be looking at truly catastrophic impacts.

Now, I don't really agree with ALL of the bailouts (personally I would have probably let GM go sink itself), but the fact remains is that some of them were necessary evils.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
Not trying to get all political---

But the "bail outs" in many cases HAD to occur. You think things are bad now? If some of these bail outs did not happen you would be looking at truly catastrophic impacts.

Now, I don't really agree with ALL of the bailouts (personally I would have probably let GM go sink itself), but the fact remains is that some of them were necessary evils.
Too each their own... My concern is with the notion that if we just swap figureheads (presidents) companies will suddenly start hiring Americans again and everything will end up great. It's just not going to happen, IMHO. Both parties are owned by the same special interests, and they have no intention of letting America recover from this Depression. Until the root of this evil is dealt with, nothing is going to really improve.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:19 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
These are probably government jobs.
Every two years, the government tells the media that the economy will improve in two more years.

Anyone with eyes can see the avalanche.

Until they start building factories and hiring janitors to engineers...
No.

Most state and local governments are in layoff mode (or in a hiring freeze).

Detroit is going to layoff 25 percent of its workers.

Chicago has been laying off police officers on the sly as well.

If anything, the public sector layoffs are part of the reason the net job gains have been so low.

Last edited by 313Weather; 07-08-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I am no financial analyst but I agree with your points above. Obama is said to be doing something about China; but I feel that will go no where. The only way will be to stop buying their product and the US consumer won't be able to do that.
Hmmm....

Last I heard Obama is trying to force ANOTHeR FTA down our throats (After already passing three).

Obama Trade Document Leaked, Revealing New Corporate Powers And Broken Campaign Promises

Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Hmmm....

Last I heard Obama is trying to force ANOTHeR FTA down our throats (After already passing three).

Obama Trade Document Leaked, Revealing New Corporate Powers And Broken Campaign Promises
O'Bummer also made a big deal to allow more illegals to stay in this nation. The sad part was Romney made a stink about this, but *refused to comment* when asked if he would repeal these measures and enforce the laws!

Mitt Romney refuses to answer whether he'd overturn Obama immigration law | NJ.com

They are both paid for by corporate and international interests who are eager to destroy this nation... and so, far, they have been smashingly successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment