Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:15 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
No.

Most state and local governments are in layoff mode (or in a hiring freeze).

Detroit is going to layoff 25 percent of its workers.

Chicago has been laying off police officers on the sly as well.

If anything, the public sector layoffs are part of the reason the net job gains have been so low.

Actually, it all started with private industries. It started about 4 decades ago in manufacturing.
It is only recently that the government unionized worker, aka public sector, has been hit.
And yes, it does depend on the private sector. But we don't need to support more and more people with unionized government jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Too each their own... My concern is with the notion that if we just swap figureheads (presidents) companies will suddenly start hiring Americans again and everything will end up great. It's just not going to happen, IMHO. Both parties are owned by the same special interests, and they have no intention of letting America recover from this Depression. Until the root of this evil is dealt with, nothing is going to really improve.

Well, you are right here and every 4 years, they do this song and dance publicly for the citizens.
No one protected American business. No one protected American jobs, in fact they did the opposite.
This is why Japan won't let others in. They cannot afford to have anyone coming in and undercutting their workforce. But we got the green cards and more. Companies moving overseas and more and more jobs outsourced.

People think our "leaders" are bungling, ignorant, making stupid mistakes, but they know exactly what they are doing.

The Middle Class built almost everything in this nation. But now, they don't need the Middle Class and are dismantling it. You can see it right now.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:23 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Actually, it all started with private industries. It started about 4 decades ago in manufacturing.
It is only recently that the government unionized worker, aka public sector, has been hit.
And yes, it does depend on the private sector.
I agree, at least that's part of it.

The tax bases of these cities and states have been decimated since to the war against working class Americans began. The governments quite frankly can't afford to operate at the same level while losing that much revenue.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Andy college has been a holding pen for years now. It knocks 1 to 2% off the labor rate otherwise millions more would be looking for work. Tons of kids go to grad school and hide out they hope the economy will improve . The biggest college class ever started in 2008. It was 2.8 million kids they will done this year or next year where are they going to work. I will tell you nowhere because their is no 2 to 3 million new jobs. We are reaching a point where people are not needed they are excessive labor units. The government can not afford to have millions of unemployed young people in the streets. This would cause social unrest. They have to give them something to do. College now plays that role never mind it will bury them in debt. I am no Obama fan I am a Republican myself. But sadly the Republicans have no idea what their doing as well. And there is no way they are going to address any real problems. All they will do is window dressing at best. They will not fix any structural issues it would cut into their cash flow. And they are going to keep Wall Street and the banks happy no matter what.

Higher education is pushed at an alarming rate. It is even been politicized to gain citizenship.
Soon, a degree won't mean a thing, unless it is in something extremely difficult or very precisely necessary.
College loans have taken over home loans.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:48 PM

640 posts, read 1,215,040 times
This has been going on for centuries. An empire is built up on illusions and lies, then when they get bored they slowly tear it down and move on to their next victim which is china and the east. Right now western society is being torn down so they can move their game to china and eventually china is going to be torn down. The same thing happened with Rome, Germany, Babylon, etc. The string pullers could rip the plug out here tomorrow if they wanted to but they are basically sociopathic psychopathic sadists. We the people of America have 2 options to shoot for. The bare minimum, or nothing (homelessness). People who can't manage to grab the bare minimum are left out in the dark. While the rest of the bare minimum sheeple laugh at them.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Any Reports coming out of washington makes me go straight to the TOILET

Old 07-09-2012, 05:48 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,524,959 times
Yea seriously. WHERE are those 175,000 jobs? Which states, which cities...which job sectors...and of course, I want names of actual companies. This is the biggest b*ll***t I've heard. I want to know exactly which jobs and where so I can go and apply...
OH...and I also want to know how much these jobs pay per hour...$7.25? 'Cos that won't even sustain a homeless guy in a shelter let alone anyone else.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:50 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Yea seriously. WHERE are those 175,000 jobs? Which states, which cities...which job sectors...and of course, I want names of actual companies. This is the biggest b*ll***t I've heard. I want to know exactly which jobs and where so I can go and apply...
OH...and I also want to know how much these jobs pay per hour...$7.25? 'Cos that won't even sustain a homeless guy in a shelter let alone anyone else.
Well, some of them are probably out in the oil field states... hard work for the small slice of the population that would qualify for it, though it pays well enough. I also wonder how many of those jobs are real and how many are assumed to exist via the "birth-death" model or other silliness that assumes the creation of jobs, small businesses, and so on.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I agree, at least that's part of it.

The tax bases of these cities and states have been decimated since to the war against working class Americans began. The governments quite frankly can't afford to operate at the same level while losing that much revenue.

That's why the United States was supposed to be like Europe...with states more like individual countries. Heck, they have capitols, militias, and their own governments. But now, the Federal government has topped all of that.
Had the States been able to maintain their own sovereignty, it would have been much harder for DC to oppress and tax the hell out of us.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
This has been going on for centuries. An empire is built up on illusions and lies, then when they get bored they slowly tear it down and move on to their next victim which is china and the east. Right now western society is being torn down so they can move their game to china and eventually china is going to be torn down. The same thing happened with Rome, Germany, Babylon, etc. The string pullers could rip the plug out here tomorrow if they wanted to but they are basically sociopathic psychopathic sadists. We the people of America have 2 options to shoot for. The bare minimum, or nothing (homelessness). People who can't manage to grab the bare minimum are left out in the dark. While the rest of the bare minimum sheeple laugh at them.

I believe we are sitting on the Event Horizon of the destruction of our civilization. For all of the reasons you said and more. You are right on the money here.

The haves and the have nots. The Haves don't care about this nation, or how it ends up. You hear them say, "Oh, I won't be around when..." and "I got mine"...and you KNOW they were just lucky. They had an uncle, they wound up in a certain industry, they bent over for the right person. We all know. Now, I am not saying everyone successful didn't earn it. But if one looks around, one can see with clear eyes that a LOT of employed people are NOT the cream of the crop.

And the ones with money aren't doing a damn thing to help this nation. They would rather gamble, buy a bigger boat, have a bigger steak, or watch more movies.

Folks, stop watching MOVIES! Stop patronizing those who make an easy buck off you. Stop giving money to celebrities and those who aren't really contributing at all. Stop buying junk you don't need, and stop worrying about fashion, trends, blah blah. Worry about your FREEDOM!

Americans COULD change things. Oh yessiree, we could! If only people would stop patronizing all of the things they don't need. These people who say, "I can't live without my CNN"...YOUR CNN? What the heck?? Of course they could. And they could live without TV, without any TV. It's not a necessity, nor is it even a good pastime. Go play piano. Teach a child math. Read some real history.

Americans have the DOLLAR power to change things. Patronize small farms. Don't buy from Agribusiness. Stop flying to Mexico. Don't buy a boat.

I don't care if most of these people in America get "saved" from the end of it all. But there are some worth saving.

But not the self-absorbed. Our own Revolution would have never been fought with those types. They only care about themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment