Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 PM

750 posts, read 1,446,089 times

Advertisements

No demand equals no jobs growth it is that simple. Both parties have no idea what their doing. So no matter who is in office we are not seeing improvement. Congress is useless they could not find water if they fell from a boat. We have bubbles in health care education credit card debt US public debt at all levels. The banking sector is a time bomb waiting to go off. Romney has no plan Obama has no idea. Us workers make too much in this global race to the bottom. Cut our wages by half get rid of our benefits and worker's comp. That is where we are heading long term. But it is not a world I want to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

This generation is not nearly as tough as the Greatest Generation, and long-term, that is the biggest obstacle we face.
Hahaha... wow... I knew my Grandfather and his family and how they survived the Depression. The elder members of his family lived off the family farm... good thing most Americans can do that... oh, wait... almost none can. My grandfather was able to get various technical jobs without even having a college degree, and he eventually retired as a senior manager from GE. Nowdays, those jobs have been sent overseas, and a guy like him who had the experience of a electrical engineer (but not the college degree) would not even get past the automated resume filters. He wouldn't stand a chance these days.

That's just my family - one story among many. It also ignores the fact that we were able to recover from the Depression by focusing on strong labor policies (you know, one of those terrible Democrat ideas), and developing industries here in America so Americans could then buy their own products... a concept that has fallen out of favor in modern corporate America... and yet folks like you refuse to demand any accountability for this change in policy and the havoc it has created.

And this doesn't even touch upon the fact that America was the only major nation not trashed after WW2, so it was easy for us to rule economically... But believe whatever you wish. Surely, if we just blame Obama for everything and pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, jobs will magically appear. Nevermind that the people who really make the decisions (not Obama) are still firmly in power and no amount of "hope or change" or "jobs, jobs, jobs" is going to actually create jobs.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
, if we just blame Obama for everything and pull ourselves up by our bootstraps,.
and stop the "pity party", oh, the humanity

People come back from layoffs even i this econ omy. Andywire has changed jobs, anogther poster moved from Ga to Seattle for a job. Step 1 is to get past the anger natural short-term with a job loss.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
and stop the "pity party", oh, the humanity

People come back from layoffs even i this econ omy. Andywire has changed jobs, anogther poster moved from Ga to Seattle for a job. Step 1 is to get past the anger natural short-term with a job loss.
Sure people can come back from layoffs - I never said they couldn't. But that still doesn't address the 4.5 people per posted position - nice job on ignoring that, by the way - nor does getting a job after a layoff mean that we should ignore the fundamental problems in our economy and get back to voting as we're told. But hey, whatever makes you happy... sunshine, rainbows, bootstraps, onions on your belt, and spitting on those less fortunate.

Oh... and speaking of getting over anger, Obama was elected 4 years ago... get over it.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:34 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Sure people can come back from layoffs - I never said they couldn't. But that still doesn't address the 4.5 people per posted position - nice job on ignoring that, by the way - nor does getting a job after a layoff mean that we should ignore the fundamental problems in our economy

The 4.5 cannot be solved without priming the demand pump (something I have addrssed many times), which means being an above average business environment globally. That does not mean a race to the bottom, unless one thinks we cannot add World Class value to a corporation. Value that more than offsets our more expensive cost.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:

This generation is not nearly as tough as the Greatest Generation, and long-term, that is the biggest obstacle we face.
That's because we were raised to expect more. We were not taught about what previous generations have had to go through to rise to a point where we, as a society, could afford to expect more. A lot of the blame lies on the shoulders of the parents who wanted to be their kids best friends. Right on par with the parents who abuse their kids in my opinion. One delivers immediate suffering. The other provides the ground works for a lifetime of suffering. There is a healthy middle ground between both groups, but even they are portrayed in a negative light by liberal media. The idea that a parent who gives their youngins an over the knee spanking should be punished is appalling. But here we are today. And let's not discount the roles of the K-12 system, which infused the idea that everyone is a winner. When these fundamental ideas are proven false, it is no surprise many are angry and upset.

We have drifted too far from our fundamental values. We have even demonized them. Almost like we knew more than what previous generations told us. But here we are today, and we have no choice but to pick up the pieces and move forward.

If Americans can afford to expect more, then they can afford to put one foot forward and work towards that. Like any challenge, it's going to involve a lot of hard work, head scratching, and clawing our way towards our goals. Just the way previous generations have done it. At some point, they are going to have to put their squabbles behind them though. As the song goes... "Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one ?". As we have seen, we are quite easy to conquer when we are so divided.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
The 4.5 cannot be solved without priming the demand pump (something I have addrssed many times), which means being an above average business environment globally. That does not mean a race to the bottom, unless one thinks we cannot add World Class value to a corporation. Value that more than offsets our more expensive cost.
I never said anything about stopping business... and when it comes to "race to the bottom," you were the one advocating cutting off people's UE benefits and letting them rot or scrabble over each other for McJobs that won't pay their bills. Not only is that a race to the bottom - a certain path to poverty - it also doesn't do anything to prime the demand pump.

UE benefits are ending even as we speak, and the economy - and whatever "Recovery" may have existed - is stalling out. Continuing down a path that clearly doesn't work is not a solution, nor is creating a huge number of impoverished citizens.

As for our nation's business environment, it seems to be just fine for big business. They have record profits and cash on hand, and can easily exploit loopholes to avoid paying taxes. If that isn't enough to get them to hire, than no more concessions will help. Now, sure... small businesses could use a hand, but we don't have any political parties that represent them.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Hahaha... wow... I knew my Grandfather and his family and how they survived the Depression. The elder members of his family lived off the family farm... good thing most Americans can do that... oh, wait... almost none can. My grandfather was able to get various technical jobs without even having a college degree, and he eventually retired as a senior manager from GE. Nowdays, those jobs have been sent overseas, and a guy like him who had the experience of a electrical engineer (but not the college degree) would not even get past the automated resume filters. He wouldn't stand a chance these days.

That's just my family - one story among many. It also ignores the fact that we were able to recover from the Depression by focusing on strong labor policies (you know, one of those terrible Democrat ideas), and developing industries here in America so Americans could then buy their own products... a concept that has fallen out of favor in modern corporate America... and yet folks like you refuse to demand any accountability for this change in policy and the havoc it has created.

And this doesn't even touch upon the fact that America was the only major nation not trashed after WW2, so it was easy for us to rule economically... But believe whatever you wish. Surely, if we just blame Obama for everything and pull ourselves up by our bootstraps, jobs will magically appear. Nevermind that the people who really make the decisions (not Obama) are still firmly in power and no amount of "hope or change" or "jobs, jobs, jobs" is going to actually create jobs.
The world was not complete trashed by WW2. The U.K. was still strong, but continued to bleed good paying manufacturing jobs like us. They had a manufacturing sector just as strong as us, although smaller of course. Germany still had a strong manufacturing sector. In fact, they completely rebuilt theirs after the war, and retained a position as one of the most advanced. Japan completely rebuilt their country with our assistance. Again, they replaced the old, with the latest and greatest infrastructure.

In my opinion, stagnation leads to complacency, much like we have seen in the U.K. and the U.S.. We both have replaced actual productive sectors with bloated government and finance schemes. I think you need to look at the bigger picture, and how we have arrived at this point.

You must produce relative to what you expect to consume. Wealth is borne from consumption, and profiteering off this consumption. The bulk of that profit was historically from the production side. The bubbles and finance schemes are not sustainable. Expecting a bloated government sector to carry a nation is not sustainable. Open your eyes and shift some of that blame. If we as a country plan to expect a 1st world living, we must compete like it.

And no, I will never suggest the game is not rigged. There again, look at what the politicians have done to place us into this position, all the while expecting to expand the government sector. This path is a trainwreck that has already revealed itself. We are just now starting to count the casualties.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The world was not complete trashed by WW2. The U.K. was still strong, but continued to bleed good paying manufacturing jobs like us. They had a manufacturing sector just as strong as us, although smaller of course. Germany still had a strong manufacturing sector. In fact, they completely rebuilt theirs after the war, and retained a position as one of the most advanced. Japan completely rebuilt their country with our assistance. Again, they replaced the old, with the latest and greatest infrastructure.

In my opinion, stagnation leads to complacency, much like we have seen in the U.K. and the U.S.. We both have replaced actual productive sectors with bloated government and finance schemes. I think you need to look at the bigger picture, and how we have arrived at this point.

You must produce relative to what you expect to consume. Wealth is borne from consumption, and profiteering off this consumption. The bubbles and finance schemes are not sustainable. Expecting a bloated government sector to carry a nation is not sustainable. Open your eyes and shift some of that blame.
I agree up to a point, though I don't know why you ask me to "open my eyes and shift blame." I have *always* blamed the idiots and crooks who create financial schemes and who wrecked our economy, be they government or business... not that there's much difference between the two these days. Unless you're implying that I should turn a blind eye to the crimes of business and instead blame everything on the government, while ignoring the fact that the two are often one in the same. Who controls the government? Not you or I... no, the people with the money and power control it - and that would be big business.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I agree up to a point, though I don't know why you ask me to "open my eyes and shift blame." I have *always* blamed the idiots and crooks who create financial schemes and who wrecked our economy, be they government or business... not that there's much difference between the two these days. Unless you're implying that I should turn a blind eye to the crimes of business and instead blame everything on the government, while ignoring the fact that the two are often one in the same. Who controls the government? Not you or I... no, the people with the money and power control it - and that would be big business.
I never suggesting turning a blind eye. Legitimate businesses are doing everything to survive. The crooks are doing what they've always intended to do, if they got the opportunities. That will never change. But again, massive deregulation of the financial sector has opened pandora's box. Follow the trail...

Can you categorize "big business"??? Can you define it? How about a super conglomerate such as GE, which is involved in so many diverse sectors... Do you only blame the percentage that engages in shaddy dealings? Businesses do what they must to survive. Companies like GE have realized the money is not necessarily in providing consumer goods any more. At least not 100%. Given the opportunity, they have done what they must to survive, even if you don't find it admirable.

I would place a good chunk of blame on the government, who makes it a necesity for businesses to tread in black waters in order to prosper in this climate. The legitimate free market economy in America sucks. You do what you must to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment