Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 05:41 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times

Advertisements

Yes but good public sector jobs are ruthlessly competitive and are based on a point system so if you dont get enough points (mainly vet status) then your at an extreme disadvantage. So while you are on USA jobs appling for 2-3 years you have to do something in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 05:56 PM

14,955 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Do you think people realize that the private sector (Mainly corporations) are chalked full of corrupt jerks engaged in cronyism and nepotism while ripping off the "lower levels" to make themselves richer ?? Its amazing to see how many people are willing to be completely taken advantage of and be used and abused while the upper level runs away with all the money on your blood, sweat and tears.

These days it seems alot of the lower level people are just willing to sit there and be completely ABUSED by the system and the upper level cronies..

Its such a shame how some just sit there while the rich keep getting richer (As the FACTS show) and the poor keep getting poorer while they put money in the "well offs" pockets"

Why were there so many revolutions and challenges to the "Establishment" in the past and today people are willing to just bend over? Where is the backbone of people today?

Well then, I guess your only other option wojld be to go to work for the federal or state governments. Because as we all know, their employees are all dedicated, hardworking, and as honest as the day is long, they have only the interests of the public on their minds and will go to no end of self-sacrifice in the public interest. And they are shining examples of fiscal responsibility and restraint..

Yup, be a shining example of humanity at its best, a government employee..... BWAAAHAAA.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:01 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Well then, I guess your only other option wojld be to go to work for the federal or state governments. Because as we all know, their employees are all dedicated, hardworking, and as honest as the day is long, they have only the interests of the public on their minds and will go to no end of self-sacrifice in the public interest. And they are shining examples of fiscal responsibility and restraint..

Yup, be a shining example of humanity at its best, a government employee..... BWAAAHAAA.

In the public sector there is only an extent to which you can be abused by management these days. Its a far cry from the private sector to where it was deemed "Corporations are people" and they can essentially get away with anything they want

Old 09-19-2015, 06:48 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

The UAW over-reached

to the same extent as the Titanic. Both sank. (UAW is now 1/3rd its peak size)

Old 09-19-2015, 07:39 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,011,475 times
Quote:
Labor laws help, certainly. But wages have stagnated for decades while corporate profits are booming. Minimum wage has lagged inflation for years. Exempt employees are expected to work 60+ hours weekly and the definition of exempt keeps expanding. Vacation and sick leave don't exist for many, and job security is practically non-existent. These are all things that can be addressed by unions.
Nailed it.. Yet people stick up for corporations that are "job makers" and make billions and don't even really make that many new jobs. The real new jobs generally come from people starting their own business and we make it extremely difficult for those individuals.. While we cater to billionaires who do not make new jobs and screw over as many people as they can and write laws into their favor and pay next to nothing in taxes. Our system is broken and I can't stand the blind individuals who stick up for the billionaires in these scenarios.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:41 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Dorian, have you ever had a positive work related experience? Every post you make is about how much management sucks and how employees are being abused.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:42 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Dorian, have you ever had a positive work related experience? Every post you make is about how much management sucks and how employees are being abused.

Sadly no.. After 10 years in the private sector after graduating college one SHOULD have at least handful of positive work experiences.. But after working for 3 companies they have ALL been negative experiences

Old 09-19-2015, 07:58 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
If you make a livable wage, it's laughable the expectations that are placed upon your shoulders. Many employers are dreaming, or plain delusional.

And what's with the overtime thing being advertised as a benefit? If a business owner wants to work themselves into the grave, I want no part of their operation. Sustainability is my objective. Working crazy hours also negatively effects your thinking and outlook, in my opinion.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Realistically, no. If your thought was true, we would see wages rise for 50% of the population, in fact we have seen wages stagnate or fall for 90% of the population. The facts differ with your version of reality.

Nonsense. There is no such definition.

Employers have more leverage than workers in the current world. Much of this is due to corporate friendly laws.
Wages have stagnated because we import labor fludding the market. You can blame both parties for this. Unions will not make one difference here.

The laws now are stricter than ever. How have things actually changed?

My detention of a union is true on its most basic premise. If you are above average you are held back from your true earning potential because you are now grouped with average and below average employee as your bargaining group.

I work in a union environment and all they do is protect the worst employees.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If you make a livable wage, it's laughable the expectations that are placed upon your shoulders. Many employers are dreaming, or plain delusional.

And what's with the overtime thing being advertised as a benefit? If a business owner wants to work themselves into the grave, I want no part of their operation. Sustainability is my objective. Working crazy hours also negatively effects your thinking and outlook, in my opinion.
Available overtime is a huge benefit. I would love to work someplace where unlimited OT is available. I would happily take an additional 50% pay increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment