Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 08:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I'm not a union defender, but one can easily find examples of people within every segment of the labor market who are "misbehaving." I mean, do you really want to start w/ senior executives.
True, but I don't like the bully aspect of what I've seen from unions. Others who misbehave just do it on their own. Unions institutionalize the bullying.

At least companies can fire some of the bad apples. Try firing a bad teacher or transit worker.

I don't like working with disgusting people and I would be ashamed to be a union member if the union would protect these people...just because they're in the union...and union people can't be touched. How is that helping the fellow worker?

I've seen some bad non-union workers but I have never seen someone openly, intentionally not do their work because of union protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 10:48 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,605 times
Why yes, I do realize that as a matter of fact.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:01 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
I've been in both private and public sectors. From my experiences, the public sector rewards mediocrity while the private sector rewards smart work.

I have a go getter personality, so there was no future for me in the public sector. That's why I left it years ago and I'm a lot happier nowadays.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:14 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Yes, I think people get it, but there is often nothing the average person can do aside from finding other employment.

I work at a company with nearly half a billion in revenue, several hundred employees globally, privately held by the founder/CEO and my 90 or so person division is being run into the ground. New clients keep coming in, and the division hasn't staffed up or scaled up technically to handle the volume. People are coming and going left and right, being burnt out, and the only person it has benefitted (according to our department senior management) is the founder. One person is lining his pockets while the personnel suffer.

Nothing we can other than find other employment and operate the best we can within what is dictated to us.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:51 PM

38 posts, read 28,748 times
Working for The Man sucks ass. You are a disposable commodity and you will be fired as soon as your performance drops in the slightest, or until they find someone younger or cheaper to do your job. It is soul sucking, sad and depressing but there it is.

Your best bet is to get into a field with high barriers to entry (ie. doctor, specialized engineer, etc.) or start your own business. There is something to be said for breaking the chain and being your own boss. It is not easy and most small businesses do fail but it never hurts to try. At least then, you will be in control of your own destiny.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:11 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
lol i how you said high barriers like doctors and engineers or just become a business owner...

sure it is easy to form a llc, print some cards, build a webpage and call yourself a business owner... then fail at it. being a business owner is as hard or harder than any of those high barrier jobs...

sitting in a job and just doing what you are hired to do? so much easier. even doctors arent skilled in running a profitable hospital without more training just because they can practice what is being sold

Old 09-20-2015, 07:03 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Like what unions did for US car industry ?

How is Detroit doing ?
Union bosses live like despots on your monthly dues and are paid as if an executive at the company many work for. And the corporate bosses will still be paid $$$$. They will pass the union BS onto their customers as will McDonald's when $15 hr minimum wages kick in...if they ever do.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:42 PM

260 posts, read 428,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If you make a livable wage, it's laughable the expectations that are placed upon your shoulders. Many employers are dreaming, or plain delusional.

And what's with the overtime thing being advertised as a benefit? If a business owner wants to work themselves into the grave, I want no part of their operation. Sustainability is my objective. Working crazy hours also negatively effects your thinking and outlook, in my opinion.
Just look at Japan. They are being peer-pressured into working overtime, and most don't leave until the boss does. Then it's traditional to sometimes go out to drink with the boss! They would joke and say they "live at work, and commute to home." Students are the same- they go to school, then clubs, then cram schools afterwards. They are sure hard workers, and never question their superiors!

It is also one of the most suicidal countries on Earth. Not a standard I'd want to live up to.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:02 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
You would need paid for real estate and what ever building infrastructure with no loans in order to have the best chance at not failing. You have to be selling something that is fairly non elastic and has only moderate to no competition otherwise your going to struggle or fail.

Becoming a doctor or an engineer first helps to self finance the above things so that when you transition to just the buisness your not drowning in rent or mortgage payments for the buisness. If you get it down to the point where all you are paying for is consumables and taxes then you have a really good chance of making it

Those things are a pretty tall order, for most people that make it big its a combination of working hard because you enjoy the work for its own sake and THEN falling into a major catalyst that pushes you over the top (inheritance, some super favorable contract, etc, etc).

Someone who just falls into some commercial real estate in an inheritance is going to have a huge advantage over anyone they are competing with. Even if their buisness "fails" they can still lease out the property and make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
lol i how you said high barriers like doctors and engineers or just become a business owner...

sure it is easy to form a llc, print some cards, build a webpage and call yourself a business owner... then fail at it. being a business owner is as hard or harder than any of those high barrier jobs...

sitting in a job and just doing what you are hired to do? so much easier. even doctors arent skilled in running a profitable hospital without more training just because they can practice what is being sold

Old 09-20-2015, 08:25 PM

590 posts, read 714,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Like what unions did for US car industry ?

How is Detroit doing ?
Is that your only argument against unions? Pretty sure UNION Boilermakers keep the lights on in this country, UNION Iron Workers erect the steel that supports high rises in this country, UNION Pipefitters assemble and build piping networks in refineries that produce the fuel you use to get to point A to point B (yeah even you tree huggers out there with your prius or hybrid or whatever else you have that you think is green, in the end it still comes from the ground and had to be processed) UNION carpenters build the houses you live in and do all the finishing work in the schools your kids go to and the buildings you work in, UNION shipbuilders build the ships that transport all the goods you anti union morons out there use and consume. The bashing on Unions is pretty pointless. Your basically bashing people who stand up for themselves. I'm a Union Boilermaker, I have no college degree, I make six figures every year, no student loans, no a**-hole boss to impress every day. I make my own conditions....

p.s. i apologize for not listing all the unions, there are simply too many to list. Lots of people are massively uneducated about unions. Thanks liberal media....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment