Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 10:42 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Sounds like you're going to have a sad existence with that outlook on work. Too bad for you someone filled your young brain with such leftist garbage.
You seem to think the system owes you whatever you need. A-hole bosses and crappy jobs are fact of life.
Cliches aren't a foundation for a successful career or a path to wealth.
Don't let yourself be 50-years old, bitter about your achievements and with no appreciable savings.
And yet you sound like a typical right-wing corporate apologist. You seem full of cliches yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 01:41 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
About 35% of government workers are unionized. One reason that us citizens have such bad experiences when working with them. People with the attitude these government unionized workers show the general public would not be tolerated in private industry.

Only about 6% of people in private industry are union members. The majority of people got so fed up with unions that they just have almost put them out of business in private industry. I know the only benefit I got when I was a union member back in the 50s, was paying dues, and I don't think that paying dues for nothing was a benefit.

Unions in private industry in most of the nation are dinosaurs, and are going the way the dinosaurs went.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:47 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Yep pretty much what I was going to say. There is an over supply of labor and there are VERY few people who have enough clout to negotiate their own favorable contracts without collective bargaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
Same with pensions, paid vacation, decent work life balance, and livable wages. Soon, these things will be extinct. Whatever makes our corporate overlords happy!

Old 09-21-2015, 05:27 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,554,110 times
I love these threads, because i get to read all of the crazy uninformed, Anti-Union rhetoric on this board.
1st myth I am going to dispel is "It's impossible to fire Lazy Union workers"
Wrong!
I've been at my union job for a little over a year now and i have seen at lease 4 People get fired around me for being lazy, inept or both.
It's all up to management too, write up and document these lazy workers. Most of the time Management is inept themselves so Documenting lazy workers and follow ups go by the waste side.
Most of us that work here take pride in the work that we do for the State of California.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:02 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I love these threads, because i get to read all of the crazy uninformed, Anti-Union rhetoric on this board.
1st myth I am going to dispel is "It's impossible to fire Lazy Union workers"
Wrong!
I've been at my union job for a little over a year now and i have seen at lease 4 People get fired around me for being lazy, inept or both.
It's all up to management too, write up and document these lazy workers. Most of the time Management is inept themselves so Documenting lazy workers and follow ups go by the waste side.
Most of us that work here take pride in the work that we do for the State of California.
Does pride in your work require posting on forums during business hours?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:52 PM

983 posts, read 995,793 times
We need to remember why and under what conditions unions (organized labor) came about.

I just read a book about the Great Depression (Hard Times by Studs Terkel.) In the 30s, if you had a job, your hours were cut, pay was cut, you were constantly under the threat of being fired. If the boss heard you took a flyer about an labor meeting, fired. Ford locked his people inside his plant. Couldn't leave at all during the day, needed permission to go to the bathroom. No safety gear given out, had to bring your own gloves. If you didn't have gloves the first day, your hands just suffered. Then the strikebreakers would come along. Bust someone's head open just for passing out literature.

Nowdays, no one is going to come into a cubicle and bust someone's head in, but there's other things that go on. "If you don't like it quit," scheduling back to back shifts so a person has three hours to sleep, cutting pay, cutting pensions, cutting PTO, "Oh, you're a new college graduate? Well, just 'volunteer' your time away, you don't need to earn a paycheck."

Some how, we need to find a way to organize labor again, in a way that works for the 21st century workplace.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:15 PM

748 posts, read 820,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
We need to remember why and under what conditions unions (organized labor) came about.

I just read a book about the Great Depression (Hard Times by Studs Terkel.) In the 30s, if you had a job, your hours were cut, pay was cut, you were constantly under the threat of being fired. If the boss heard you took a flyer about an labor meeting, fired. Ford locked his people inside his plant. Couldn't leave at all during the day, needed permission to go to the bathroom. No safety gear given out, had to bring your own gloves. If you didn't have gloves the first day, your hands just suffered. Then the strikebreakers would come along. Bust someone's head open just for passing out literature.

Nowdays, no one is going to come into a cubicle and bust someone's head in, but there's other things that go on. "If you don't like it quit," scheduling back to back shifts so a person has three hours to sleep, cutting pay, cutting pensions, cutting PTO, "Oh, you're a new college graduate? Well, just 'volunteer' your time away, you don't need to earn a paycheck."

Some how, we need to find a way to organize labor again, in a way that works for the 21st century workplace.
I agree, yet labor has diminishing organizing power, as it is less and less a driver of company profits. Technology drives a larger and larger share of the profits in today's companies. Why hire when you can automate?

What I think we must accept is that the world has changed dramatically in the last 25 years, and will only change more dramatically in the next. Change makes it difficult for businesses to plan with any certainty, when every industry is always on the verge of getting "disrupted". Uncertainty impacts the workforce alongside companies. Change results in the need for employees to change rapidly alongside companies. Doing the same job, over and over for a career is essentially over for many professions. It's adapt, network and be prepared to start your own venture or join the 90 some million people in this country who don't participate in the labor-force.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This is why unions were formed, but many people oppose them, even when they would be helped by belonging to a union.
I was ripped off by a union. So were millions of other people belonging to that union. I worked with other unions and saw them rip off the rank and file.

People have good reason to oppose unions. Once they represented the workers, nowadays many are just as corrupt as management in the corporations where the workers they are supposed to be protecting are employed.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:51 PM

426 posts, read 424,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I was ripped off by a union. So were millions of other people belonging to that union. I worked with other unions and saw them rip off the rank and file.

People have good reason to oppose unions. Once they represented the workers, nowadays many are just as corrupt as management in the corporations where the workers they are supposed to be protecting are employed.
How were you ripped off? I see these kind of comments daily with no proof. We unionize to protect ourselves from Corp.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
How were you ripped off? I see these kind of comments daily with no proof. We unionize to protect ourselves from Corp.
You want proof? How about three hundred million dollars worth of proof? Where are you seeing these unproven comments daily? Which union do you belong to? Are you checking where your investments are going if you have any savings through them?

Sept. 21, 2000: The feds shut down Jeff Grayson?s Capital Consultants?

Office and Professional Employees (OPEIU) | National Legal and Policy Center

Two More Oregon Pension Suits | National Legal and Policy Center

http://coloradopols.com/wp-content/u...ment_Advis.PDF

7 Members of Professional Employees International Union Sues Capital Consultants For Pension Fraud

An Ex-White Collar Criminal Bets Big on Burgers - Businessweek

I personally lost $100,000, my entire 401k in this deal. My union, OPEIU Local 11, was warned for years to look into the dealings of Capital Consultants by those who believed they were scamming the union members. No one in the leadership positions would listen. When the scandal broke, every union representative resigned. Only a handful of office clerks remained. It was believed that some of the high ranking union officials were in on the take. To this day, many think so. Thirteen years after many court hearings the case was resloved. I got a whopping $93.00 and some change out of it.

Two of the crooks went to jail for 18 months. One died. Another now owns FatBurger in LA.

I worked in a union trust office. We administered pensions and health benefits for various unions. I saw union reps take funds from 401ks and distribute them for reasons other than those agreed upon in their contracts. The union rep from my union allowed the manager of our office to have health benefits through the insurance policy meant for the employees which is unethical.

There were unions that did little to protect the members from unfair employers but still collected their dues. They did provide health insurance and some of them pensions, those were what my office administered. We were hired by multiple unions to to so. That's why I was a union remember. You had to be to work there.

Some of the unions with which I worked were honest but seeing how others operated made me skeptical of unions so much so that I vowed never to work for a place that was unionized again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment