Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Does pride in your work require posting on forums during business hours?
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 11:57 PM

426 posts, read 424,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
You want proof? How about three hundred million dollars worth of proof? Where are you seeing these unproven comments daily? Which union do you belong to? Are you checking where your investments are going if you have any savings through them?

Sept. 21, 2000: The feds shut down Jeff Grayson?s Capital Consultants?

Office and Professional Employees (OPEIU) | National Legal and Policy Center

Two More Oregon Pension Suits | National Legal and Policy Center

http://coloradopols.com/wp-content/u...ment_Advis.PDF

7 Members of Professional Employees International Union Sues Capital Consultants For Pension Fraud

An Ex-White Collar Criminal Bets Big on Burgers - Businessweek

I personally lost $100,000, my entire 401k in this deal. My union, OPEIU Local 11, was warned for years to look into the dealings of Capital Consultants by those who believed they were scamming the union members. No one in the leadership positions would listen. When the scandal broke, every union representative resigned. Only a handful of office clerks remained. It was believed that some of the high ranking union officials were in on the take. To this day, many think so. Thirteen years after many court hearings the case was resloved. I got a whopping $93.00 and some change out of it.

Two of the crooks went to jail for 18 months. One died. Another now owns FatBurger in LA.

I worked in a union trust office. We administered pensions and health benefits for various unions. I saw union reps take funds from 401ks and distribute them for reasons other than those agreed upon in their contracts. The union rep from my union allowed the manager of our office to have health benefits through the insurance policy meant for the employees which is unethical.

There were unions that did little to protect the members from unfair employers but still collected their dues. They did provide health insurance and some of them pensions, those were what my office administered. We were hired by multiple unions to to so. That's why I was a union remember. You had to be to work there.

Some of the unions with which I worked were honest but seeing how others operated made me skeptical of unions so much so that I vowed never to work for a place that was unionized again.
I'll be collecting from ibew and teamsters

Old 09-22-2015, 11:14 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Well, just as there are all kinds of corporations, both fair and unfair; good and bad, there are all kinds of unions.

You can't paint them all with the same brush.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:18 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Do you think people realize that the private sector (Mainly corporations) are chalked full of corrupt jerks engaged in cronyism and nepotism while ripping off the "lower levels" to make themselves richer ?? Its amazing to see how many people are willing to be completely taken advantage of and be used and abused while the upper level runs away with all the money on your blood, sweat and tears.

These days it seems alot of the lower level people are just willing to sit there and be completely ABUSED by the system and the upper level cronies..

Its such a shame how some just sit there while the rich keep getting richer (As the FACTS show) and the poor keep getting poorer while they put money in the "well offs" pockets"

Why were there so many revolutions and challenges to the "Establishment" in the past and today people are willing to just bend over? Where is the backbone of people today?
It wasn't the "Companies" people rioted about, or overthrew. It was GOVERNMENT. There is a difference.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
These days it seems a lot of the lower level people are just willing to sit there and be completely ABUSED by the system and the upper level cronies..
Well, after forty years in the workplace and much of the time when there wasn't an EEOC or other legal means of protection, I take exception to that comment. I was lower level but never was content to be "ABUSED" by the system and the upper level cronies. In my own personal experience I never found union membership to be of much help. I fought my own battles and as a woman, there were plenty of them.

I just quit the workplace and retired a few years ago. What I see these days is that with more legal backing, more and more people have the means to stand up for themselves and unions in many ways have become redundant.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:53 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
TEAMSTERS? Hope you aren't covered by the Central States Pension of Teamsters. Headed for bankruptcy, pensions to retirees being slashed. Like $3,000 cut to $1,900.

Read all about it. Too bad these hard working people got looted by their union.

Planned pension cuts have retired truckers up in arms; fund says they're unavoidable - Omaha.com: Money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment