Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 06:21 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,250,827 times

Advertisements

Reality check for those who deem SAHM worth so little. Our country has long devalued SAHM. A SAHM Mom/Dad...even a working Mom/Dad..should know their worth in the market place. Here is an article from Forbes Magazine....dated 2011.....So, the salary might be worth much more in 2015.
Forbes Welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 07:17 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
So true, and you're right...

It just irks me to read stuff like that at times. I respect SAHM moms, totally. AS a previous poster stated, each has its own challenges. The way I see it, it's great to live in a country where women can choose to stay at home or work, have kids or don't have kids. I'm happy that my own daughters will have these choices available to them when they come of age.

But it's wrong on so many levels for certain people to derisively say that other people raise the working parent's kids. Or guilt trip a woman for doing something totally normal as getting up and going to work. The working mother is called selfish, a lousy parent, you name it. The kids of the working parent are more ill behaved, as if there's a corner in that market. It reeks of sexism because don't these same people think fathers would like to spend a lot of time with their kids as well? Why is it that some rake women who work 9-5 over the coals, yet nothing is said about the man who goes to work? Once again, that gender role thing comes into play.

I believe in quality time moreso than quantity. Yes, I come home tired. But some extended snuggles on the couch sure goes a long way in forging bonds. Weekends are totally family time. Kids adapt, and for ours, mommy and daddy working is totally normal. I work at a law firm. I have a trial I'll be participating in next week, so I've been working beyond standard working hours. And I explained to my nine year old daughter, in clear matter-of-fact language, that I would be working late much of this week. She understood and asked me what exactly I do at a trial. Actually sparked a good conversation.
What kind of trial is it? I'm a lawyer so that's why I'm curious. Even though that question is irrelevant, most of the responses in this thread are off-topic. When SAHM's say what they do is like having a full-time job, I think they may be choosing their words incorrectly. What they really mean to say is "being a stay-at-home-mom is extremely difficult." Very few people deny this and even the OP acknowledged it.

This thread isn't about debating how hard it is to be a SAHM, rather, it's about whether it's fair to equate being one as the same things as performing an outside job for compensation for the benefit of an outside organization, or for the service of individual people. And is it proper to list being a SAHM on a resume as relevant job experience? Anecdotes about how hard it is to be a stay-at-home-parent do absolutely nothing to address those two issues.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:08 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,029,396 times
I'm sure it's hard work to take care of kids...

But it's annoying when stay-at-home moms whine and brag endlessly about how it's the "hardest job in the world" or the "most important job in the world."

Raising your two little spoiled brats is more important than, say, saving lives?

"You don't know what tired is until you have kids."
"My job is way harder than your job..."

Things like that make it sound like they HATE being parents....

Then, it's...
"You don't know what love is until you have a child."

Which one is it?

It's just funny that all of these stay-at-home moms who don't have time to use the bathroom or take a shower seem to have hours on end each day to talk about how they don't have any time...

Old 11-11-2015, 08:22 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,209,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Its ridiculous, it is nowhere near as hard as a real job and a real career. They think its hard, but only because the stay at home moms don't have anything to compare with. Easiest job in the world.
Why do you think that? Unless they are the small percentage that have a baby right out of HS, I'd assume the vast majority were employed before they had a child and decided to stay home. You, on the other hand... I'm guessing you've never been a SAHP and really can't compare the 2.

I really wish people would shut up about stuff they know nothing about.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:35 AM

I wonder what makes non-parents feel that they have to be so critical of parents. I've never been a construction worker, a doctor, an investment banker. I don't feel like it is my place to say how difficult or easy those jobs are. What makes you people think you have a right to tell me how easy or difficult being a parent is? And you are so adamant about it! You don't HAVE to participate in threads that don't apply to you, you know.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:51 AM

362 posts, read 544,721 times
I hate the Mommy Wars. I hated them when my kids were little and I hate them now. Everyone just needs to relax...Geez.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:00 AM

513 posts, read 869,416 times
When men and women stay at home it's a lifestyle choice.. I hate it when people call it a JOB. It's not a job for to me love and take care of my husband and children. Ask yourself why did this person put that on the resume. What exactly are they looking for? I have done both, work at a business and stayed home to make sure things were taken care of. When your house is your office... THEN you can call staying at home.... a JOB. I know what I have done in my life. I don't give two shakes what others think of me.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I wonder what makes non-parents feel that they have to be so critical of parents. I've never been a construction worker, a doctor, an investment banker. I don't feel like it is my place to say how difficult or easy those jobs are. What makes you people think you have a right to tell me how easy or difficult being a parent is? And you are so adamant about it! You don't HAVE to participate in threads that don't apply to you, you know.
Hmm. I thought the thread applied to everyone. The question posed was, "Does anyone else get annoyed when people say being a stay-at-home mom is a full time job?" So I think the thread applies to anyone who has an opinion about it.

When someone asks, "Do you think being an investment banker is a hard job?," then I'm sure you'll be welcome to respond with your opinion.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Hmm. I thought the thread applied to everyone. The question posed was, "Does anyone else get annoyed when people say being a stay-at-home mom is a full time job?" So I think the thread applies to anyone who has an opinion about it.

When someone asks, "Do you think being an investment banker is a hard job?," then I'm sure you'll be welcome to respond with your opinion.
But why would I do that when I don't have a clue about it?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
But why would I do that when I don't have a clue about it?
If you knew a ton of investment bankers who did nothing but complain, complain, complain about it...only to turn around and tell you that your job is nowhere near as important or hard as theirs is...you might have an opinion.

Funnily, the only collective group that actually does that is...*gasp*...stay-at-home moms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment