Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 07:31 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,291,407 times

Advertisements

I also don't think being a SAHM means you can work in a daycare. You may suck horribly at watching other people's children. Or you may suck at watching ten at aw time or whatever the ratio happens to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 07:38 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,887,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynnie1993 View Post
I know Im gonna get **** for this.
But oh how I wish I could have the luxury of a husband going out and punching a time clock, working hard and making good money for me to be able to watch my babies grow up and be apart of their special moments/milestones in the comfort of my own home.
Im not a mom, but I currently work full time and work in a very hard industry, commute 1.5 hours each way, and usually work 50 hours a week. I see girls on my facebook give themselves all of this credit that being a stay at home mom is the "hardest job in the world". Yet they have never earned a degree/worked a real intensive job that requires critical thinking/hard physical labor.

Just wondering if this bothers anyone else. My sisters were stay at home moms for a while but then went back to work. They told me it was the most amazing thing to be at home with the kids though and they loved every minute, saying it wasnt that hard because it was rewarding and they could do it in their pajamas.

My personal favorite is when people put being a stay at home mom as a job on their resume.. Maybe im young and naive but to me that just sounds odd.
I'm sorry but the Feminist movement has it TOTALLY wrong. Staying at home and raising kids is the MOST important job a Woman could have. YES it should be an option. WOMEN went to work outside the home in the 1970's and the LABOR force almost doubled. Wages for Women remained low until just recently and the wages for MEN did not allow a Man to support a family by with just his salary. Even with two incomes if you figure in DAYCARE costs and increased living expenses is it worth it to have both rents working? I think not.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,238,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I'm sorry but the Feminist movement has it TOTALLY wrong. Staying at home and raising kids is the MOST important job a Woman could have. YES it should be an option. WOMEN went to work outside the home in the 1970's and the LABOR force almost doubled. Wages for Women remained low until just recently and the wages for MEN did not allow a Man to support a family by with just his salary. Even with two incomes if you figure in DAYCARE costs and increased living expenses is it worth it to have both rents working? I think not.
Ya, it's all fine and dandy until husband dies or cheats or beats you. What is a woman with no skills and no work experience supposed to do for money if that happens?

Old 11-09-2015, 08:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,238,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There are ways to do it:

Forbes Welcome
"List Volunteer Assignments and Part-Time Work in the Chronology
On that note, there’s no law that says you can only put full-time or paid work in your career chronology. So, if you’ve participated in a major volunteer role or worked part-time while home with the kids? Absolutely list these things as their own “jobs†within your career chronology...

That said, do not, under any circumstances, create a cutesy section on your resume that lists your time as a stay-at-home parent as an official job ...While you and I both know that parenting is about as demanding and intense a job as any out there, most corporate decision makers aren’t going to take this section of your resume seriously."

The article really doesn't say how to, or that your should put SAHM on your resume. It basically says how to format it so it looks the best, and to include volunteer work.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:54 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,539,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
No. I do not get annoyed. Here's why.

My first wife worked outside the home. We had a housekeeper - nanny. And her mother was around during the week. I was working 50 hours.

She got up at 5. Took a train to work. Came home at 8 dead tired and took out food. Went to sleep by 10. No family time.

My son ran wild, got involved with a bad crowd and got in trouble. She denied anything was wrong.

My second wife takes parenting seriously. She worked part time. Her primary job was raising our children.

My two kids from my second marriage are on the dean's list at college. They work in the summer. They do volunteer work. They are polite and productive, always willing to help out when they are home.

Son from my first marriage? He is almost 30 now. Dropped out of three colleges. Is entitled and calls me every few years to beg for money. He lives with his 5th fiancee. Ahem...and he is nasty and mean.

My second wife watched our children like a hawk and deferred many of her own dreams for them. The difference is night and day.
As a working mother, I find your comparison utterly repugnant. It's attitudes like yours that make me want to vomit.

Firstly, comparing the two women and their children comes off as childish and petty.

Secondly, whatever shortcomings you felt that your first wife had in regards to parenting, working had little to do with it. Even people with the idyllic scenarios of your second marriage have kids that end up getting into trouble. You'd be naïve to think otherwise. Working away from the home full time isn't a dereliction of parental duty or allowing others to raise your kids.

Newsflash, I raise my kids in conjunction with my husband. I get up and go to work every day because that's what I want to do. I not only have to work, but I also clean, share in the cooking, help with homework, be a wife and a mother, and just about everything else. And I am not asking for slaps on the back from outmoded dinosaurs, but I do ask that people not be so damn judgmental. I don't judge women who stay at home. It's a choice. I'd like to be treated in kind. That's all.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:16 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,623,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynnie1993 View Post
I know Im gonna get **** for this.
But oh how I wish I could have the luxury of a husband going out and punching a time clock, working hard and making good money for me to be able to watch my babies grow up and be apart of their special moments/milestones in the comfort of my own home.
Im not a mom, but I currently work full time and work in a very hard industry, commute 1.5 hours each way, and usually work 50 hours a week. I see girls on my facebook give themselves all of this credit that being a stay at home mom is the "hardest job in the world". Yet they have never earned a degree/worked a real intensive job that requires critical thinking/hard physical labor.

Just wondering if this bothers anyone else. My sisters were stay at home moms for a while but then went back to work. They told me it was the most amazing thing to be at home with the kids though and they loved every minute, saying it wasnt that hard because it was rewarding and they could do it in their pajamas.

My personal favorite is when people put being a stay at home mom as a job on their resume.. Maybe im young and naive but to me that just sounds odd.
Yes. It's not a "job" job. The way I think of it is...if you aren't in danger of getting fired if you're 15 minutes late with dinner, it's not a job. If you aren't graded on merit annually, it's not a job. If you aren't in danger of being demoted or laid off, it's not a job. If you can do a lousy "job" of it, and still keep your "job," it's not a real job. If you aren't called into HR for being late or not working as a "team" with the rest of the family, it's not a job.

What stay-at-home moms do is important and is not easy. But women who have job jobs, work those jobs AND do what the stay-at-home moms do, too. The house cleaning and cooking and shopping....everyone has to do that, in addition to working a job outside the home.

I don't begrudge their circumstances, but I don't think it's correct to call it a real job. It is work (work that everyone does), but not a job.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:22 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,954,571 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hitc8haEu_g

Old 11-10-2015, 06:26 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,214,482 times
Especially when you consider

1.)The vast majority of Stay at home moms are in middle class to wealthy households(husband is a doctor, lawyer, investment banker etc) where you can afford nannies

2.) once the child/children turn 5 they go to school for 8 hours a day. So all you're really doing is getting them ready for school, Doing homework at night and send them to bed.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:28 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,120,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
And I am not asking for slaps on the back from outmoded dinosaurs, but I do ask that people not be so damn judgmental. I don't judge women who stay at home. It's a choice. I'd like to be treated in kind. That's all.
These forums make us feel like every choice is picked apart and judged, but in real life I know very few people who are so rigid in their opinions. KWIM? No stay-at-home-moms are actually judging you for working...if anything, we're secretly jealous that you get out of the house everyday and get to go to the bathroom all by yourself

Old 11-10-2015, 06:31 AM

1,273 posts, read 994,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Especially when you consider

1.)The vast majority of Stay at home moms are in middle class to wealthy households(husband is a doctor, lawyer, investment banker etc) where you can afford nannies
Really??? Thus sounds dubious. All my sahm friends can barely afford groceries. We stay home because we CAN'T afford childcare. We are childcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment