Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 02:59 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If fast food workers got $15/hr, the other positions in healthcare would gradually increase as well, in order to compete with fast food payrates. Many jobs that pay higher than fast food would also increase pay because people would expect more money for the harder jobs and jobs that required skill/experience/schooling because workers would compare the pay to $15/hr.

Workers would say "why would I work for $16/hr as a 911 dispatcher with high stress if I can work for $15/hr as a low stress cashier." Then the 911 dispatcher job would have to raise their pay in order to get qualified applicants.

Increasing min wage, indirectly, helps increase pay for people that are already making MORE than minimum wage.

That's the part that people don't get, and the fallacies of assuming if you raise it to $15, everyone will just want to work for McD/other MW instead:
1) There's only space for so many people. I wouldn't quit your 911 or office job just yet.
McDonald jobs are very hard to hire in some areas. There were a couple of cases where when a new Walmart opened, job applicants the "acceptance rate" was lower than students applying to Harvard

2) Better for your career
I don't doubt that it's possible for someone at McDonalds to get a job say... in IT. However, if you're already doing a entry level position there, you've already got experience that puts you a leg up on others
I've known people growing up who started off on $8 jobs vs. others who were making $11 to $12 an hour. Some in the former camp are doing better off decades later.

4) Pride
Many people here on C-D always talk about the merits of hard work. Would you not follow your own advice and say that you made your up by working your way up your career path, instead of taken "the easy way out" at McDonalds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 06:47 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post

Why? Because if the husband is not a total deadbeat, you will get child support in addition to a lot of benefits. You can spend a fraction of it, to have someone take care of the kid when you are not there. There is a reason poor women like to get kids, its beneficial to them.
How many deadbeat fathers do know I? I know several including my own father. Collecting child support is not nearly as easy as it sounds. Benefits? What benefits? Yes, that $20 a month in food stamps for me was an amazing benefit! That barely fed me. THen my mother had to pay for childcare while she was working. That's far from free.

Again, no one gets kids! You do NOT buy them in a store. You make one. Poor women and rich women have children. Just because you're poor doesn't mean you're having them for anything beneficial. You can't have 20 kids in 25 years and keep collecting social services. Doesn't work that way. And lives change. Husbands/significant others leave/divorce, die, get terribly ill, etc. and life changes in an instant.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:55 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSweeney View Post
When I started work in the late 70s, my minimum wage job afforded me a room in a shared house, bus fare, scant groceries, but not to malnourishment, and a few dollars left over for "discretionary."
To reach the same standard today, adjusted for inflation, the minimum would have to be something like $14.85.
I'm so glad people think full time workers should starve and go homeless! (Sarcasm)
We're on strike today, so go **** yourself.
Make your own burger.
Do you mean to tell us that you've been working in the fast food industry since the 70's?

Regardless....

My main argument against mandated minimum wages is this: it's irrelevant since they only people who should be working minimum wage jobs are teenagers in high school trying to learn the employer-to-employee relationship and being able to navigate a work environment. That is all.

Minimum wages jobs are not meant to support a family. They're just not. Go find something better. Go find something better. Go find something better.

Anyone with any sort of will power and gumption can find a better job that allows not only for better pay but also for personal growth. If you're 30 and working behind the counter at Burger King you only have your own terrible choices to blame, though I can understand in cases of genuine mental disability in which case I'm happy they're contributing.

The best way to advance yourself is to make it known to your employer that you're willing to take on increased responsibility and to GROW as an individual. If you're not developing yourself and increasing your responsibility load (not necessarily the same thing as your workload) then what good are you? You have to gain knowledge and skill, speed and efficiency and that's just not going to happen working the cash register at the local gas station.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:55 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,936 times
Men are dropping out of the US workforce which is causing the unemployment rate to look low, but
most people dont get it. Small businesses are going belly up nowadays.
If things dont turn around eveyone will be in trouble. 15 per hour is not the solution either.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
My main argument against mandated minimum wages is this: it's irrelevant since they only people who should be working minimum wage jobs are teenagers in high school trying to learn the employer-to-employee relationship and being able to navigate a work environment. That is all. Minimum wages jobs are not meant to support a family. They're just not. Go find something better. Go find something better. Go find something better.
Anyone with any sort of will power and gumption can find a better job that allows not only for better pay but also for personal growth. If you're 30 and working behind the counter at Burger King you only have your own terrible choices to blame, though I can understand in cases of genuine mental disability in which case I'm happy they're contributing.
"In a report he helped prepare for the Economic Policy Institute, Bernstein cited data from the Congressional Budget Office describing the average minimum wage worker as full-time and 35 years old. Those are the people who would be helped if the wage were raised to $10.10, the report states. According to the same report, 88 percent of those who would be affected are at least 20, and half are over 30."
Undisputed facts about the minimum wage | PBS NewsHour

There are millions of people who are not teenagers who work at minimum wage jobs and the reason is very rarely 'lack of will power and gumption'. You really should research this before you opine on it

Old 12-02-2016, 09:24 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,936 times
Quote:
There are millions of people who are not teenagers who work at minimum wage jobs
Well Obama did his part to make this happen by offshoring jobs, importing illegal immigrants and forcing Obamacare, which caused many companies to cut hours and wages.
Donald Trump needs to turn the ship around and do just the opposite.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Well Obama did his part to make this happen by offshoring jobs, importing illegal immigrants and forcing Obamacare, which caused many companies to cut hours and wages.
Donald Trump needs to turn the ship around and do just the opposite.
You really should try fact checking your claims.

Offshoring jobs Most of the 'offshoring' occurred before Obama took office: "As overseas outsourcing has expanded, U.S. manufacturing has suffered the brunt of the blow. According to a report on outsourcing by Working America, “Manufacturing employment collapsed from a high of 19.5 million workers in June 1979 to 11.5 workers in December 2009, a drop of 8 million workers over 30 years. Between August 2000 and February 2004, manufacturing jobs were lost for a stunning 43 consecutive months—the longest such stretch since the Great Depression.” Manufacturing plants have also declined sharply in the last decade, shrinking by more than 51,000 plants, or 12.5 percent, between 1998 and 2008. These stable, middle-class jobs have been the driving force of the U.S. economy for decades and theses losses have done considerable damage to communities across the country". https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...s-outsourcing/

Obama Imported Illegal Immigrants
"But the so-called soft-on-immigration Obama administration deported more unauthorized immigrants during its first six years than the Republican George W. Bush administration did over its full eight. Between 2009 and 2014, 2.4 million people were deported from the U.S., according to a Pew Research data analysis released Wednesday."Obama deported record number of immigrants, despite Trump

Obamacare caused companies to cut hours and wages
"Employers have not been cutting workers' hours to escape having to provide them with health insurance, a new ADP Research Institute report has found. "For all the talk, there have been very small shifts in part-time hiring...almost statistically insignificant," said Christopher Ryan, vice president of strategic advisory services at ADP, a human resources consulting firm." No, Obamacare is not reducing employees' hours - Jun. 25, 2015

I only take the time to research your claims because I am sick and tired of reading fake 'news' on city-data that has no basis in fact, it's almost like some people feel that since Trump is a liar it's ok for all of us to just 'make up junk' and post it.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Again, tuition free higher education is useless to most people on minimum wage. There are out of pocket costs in health care, and in the US minimum wage workers are covered by medicaid. .
Traditional Medicaid does not provide any health benefits for non-disabled, non-elderly adults without children even if they have no income. In a state with expanded medicaid, coverage is available for single adults if they make less than $16,242 a year. Full time employment @ $7.25 an hour =$15,080, so any minimum wage workers getting a small amount of overtime, or working in a state with minimum wage higher than $7.25 an hour would not get expanded medicaid. There are 19 states without expanded medicaid. This is not top secret information..it's all out there just waiting for you to find it on the internet.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:42 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Traditional Medicaid does not provide any health benefits for non-disabled, non-elderly adults without children even if they have no income. In a state with expanded medicaid, coverage is available for single adults if they make less than $16,242 a year. Full time employment @ $7.25 an hour =$15,080, so any minimum wage workers getting a small amount of overtime, or working in a state with minimum wage higher than $7.25 an hour would not get expanded medicaid. There are 19 states without expanded medicaid. This is not top secret information..it's all out there just waiting for you to find it on the internet.
That is incorrect, go this calculator, type in $15000 and put in Texas and take a look at your results. Is it free? No, but it is almost free. And I did say that in some states you will get a subsidized rate.

Health Insurance Marketplace Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Old 12-03-2016, 02:08 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
How many deadbeat fathers do know I? I know several including my own father. Collecting child support is not nearly as easy as it sounds. Benefits? What benefits? Yes, that $20 a month in food stamps for me was an amazing benefit! That barely fed me. THen my mother had to pay for childcare while she was working. That's far from free.

Again, no one gets kids! You do NOT buy them in a store. You make one. Poor women and rich women have children. Just because you're poor doesn't mean you're having them for anything beneficial. You can't have 20 kids in 25 years and keep collecting social services. Doesn't work that way. And lives change. Husbands/significant others leave/divorce, die, get terribly ill, etc. and life changes in an instant.
Then don't have kids with a deadbeat, find someone with an ambition to at least provide for themselves. It is not that easy to avoid paying, but you can't get anything from someone who doesn't work, and go to prison once in a while.

And there are a lot of benefits for single mums apart from food stamps. Take a look at this chart and see for yourself. And this chart do not include local benefits that you might get.

Last edited by Camlon; 12-03-2016 at 02:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment