Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 1,685 times

Advertisements

Any job that can be replaced by machines efficiently, will eventually be replaced. Is this a good thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 02:33 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
I hope you understand, that these kiosks are killing jobs, they're increasing efficiency. Someone still has to flip the burgers, mop the floor, and literally hand you your order. McDonald's has never had dedicated cashiers. The same staff will be working there. As a matter fact, until when you go completely cashless, there will still be a cashier to take your payment.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:45 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I think someone need to take a basic math class. 7.5*40 is $300. Removing federal tax and social security this amount drop to $267, not $240. Also, there are 4.333 weeks in a month, not 4. $267*4.333 = 1160. You don't need to know maths to get this, you just need the basic common sense to use a tax calculator. US Hourly Wage Tax Calculator 2016 | The Tax Calculator

And you are wrong about the bus ticket too, because you can buy a 6 month or a 12 month ticket, and the price per month will be about $20.

You show the problem with the $15 movement, you can't even calculate your own salary, but you think that you understand the economic impact of raising minimum wages. One of the things you need to understand is that if people have low wages because they don't get enough hours, then the solution is not to increase minimum wage, that will just make it worse. The solution is to make it easier for small business, so that they can hire minimum wage workers.

First get full employment, then you can start thinking about minimum wage.
Ouch

Old 12-01-2016, 02:47 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I hope you understand, that these kiosks are killing jobs, they're increasing efficiency. Someone still has to flip the burgers, mop the floor, and literally hand you your order. McDonald's has never had dedicated cashiers. The same staff will be working there. As a matter fact, until when you go completely cashless, there will still be a cashier to take your payment.
Home Depot and Albertsons here locally both went from 1 - 1 to 1- 6 cashier to customer ratio.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:47 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
maybe one of us need to take a math class but I don't think it's me:
Gross Pay300.00
Federal29.59
Fica18.60
Medicare4.35
State7.31
WC0.15
Net Pay240.00
https://www.adp.com/tools-and-resour...alculator.aspx
Sorry, but you seriously think minimum wage workers pay 10% in federal tax. Then how come 47% of Americans pay no income tax. You are using a faulty calculator that doesn't even include the standard deduction.

And even with your faulty tax calculator, you still calculated wrong, because you multiplied this number by 4, when there is 4.333 weeks in a month.

Quote:
How can a person earning minimum wage come up with $225 for an annual bus pass? It helps to make estimates based upon reality.
By saving money? You always need to save money, and it is not impossible. People in third world countries live on way less, they still save money.

In the worst case, buy the 6 months pass and borrow a little from some relatives, and pay them back. Even if you saved up no money, you would be able to pay them back in 4 months.

Quote:
You don't strengthen your position by being snarky, I calculated the salary correctly. Oh and by the way, the median wage in Albuquerque is not $15.54, it's $21.36 The statewide median wage is $15.54, but you chose to discuss Albuquerque, so it's better to compare apples to apples, don't you think?
I am sorry to say, but you messed up again. You need to learn the difference between mean and median. Mean hourly wage in New Mexico is $20.76, but their median is $15.54. Hence Albuquerque will have a median hourly wage of $15.5 - 16.

But you don't know these numbers, hence you cannot realize the disadvantages of a $15 minimum wage.

Quote:
And companies do not hire more employees because wages are low. They hire as many as they need. If wages go up, they raise prices In an industry like fast food raising hourly wages to $15, would cause prices to rise an estimated 4.3%. That means your $3.99 Big Mac would wind up costing $4.16, and an average fast-food meal costing $7.00 would go up in price to $7.31.
That is also incorrect, companies often hire a lot more workers than they theoretically need. A lot of restaurants and fast food places have slow periods. They could choose to hire less people, and just let lines get longer during busy periods. The reason they don't is because customers will prefer places with good customer service, unless the price is very high.

In addition, they can utilize technology more, close down branches with few customers, and provide worse customer service. You tend to say, but this has never happened. Not true, it is happened, but not in the US. With the $15 movement, you are making the same mistake a lot of other countries have done before you.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Oregon is the other, not just us. I can do it, I just don't want to. I'd rather sit in my warm car and answer texts or look at directions or find the granola bar that fell down the seat or whatever, and let the guy (or girl) be wet and cold. Plus this gives our state many, many jobs, and still we have cheap gas, cheaper than many self-serve states.

One gas station owner told me self-serve is not cheaper for gas stations because the cost of liability insurance for self-serve is way more than having an employee. We here in south Jersey still have many small mom-and-pop type stations that have been here for decades, in some cases they don't even have employees, and they would go under due to the increased insurance costs. I don't see how it benefits a state financially, to be honest. We would lose thousands of full and part-time time jobs and small businesses and gain what in return?

Plus, when I used to have to go get gas for my mom when she lived in Philly, it was kind of scary in there where I had to pay, with the guy behind bars. No thanks, I'll take our way.

Plus, it would render my "Jersey Girl's Don't Pump gas" T-shirt worthless
The liability insurance is just one cost. Rates vary dramatically by state. So in NJ it may not be cheaper, but in Nebraska it might be. Insurance in Jersey is high compared to the majority of the rest of the country. There's a number of expenses with having employees - social security, medicare, disability, worker's comp, etc. That all adds up so quickly.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
$15 hr was somewhat supported by Bernie, Obama which is why Trump in now president.
Most people realized these $15/hr policies are foolish and don't work. Without Obama fail, you don't have Trump! It only takes a phone call to save over 1000 good paying jobs in the US, a phone call Obama refused to make!
You're funny! Today Pence is taking credit saving those jobs. And it was far from just a phone call. They were given all kinds of deals.....deals that may or may not hold up. Trump isn't playing Let's Make a Deal. He's not even president so we'll see if his offers actually come to fruition. Come back in 6 months, 12 months, 18 months and see if they are still staying.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
Quote:
The fast food Kiosks where you place your order, also take your money, either slide a card, or insert the cash into the machine that records it and gives you your change.

And the new burger making machines, only take one person to keep it clean and keep the hoppers full. There is no one there to flip the burgers, and make the sandwiches. The machine does all the work and can also deliver it in a box ready to serve. It will only require one person to keep the lobby clean, one to put the food onto a tray and hand it out. In other words 3 or 4 people per shift, will be able to run the restaurant completely. No longer a big staff to cover busy periods. The first automated fast food hamburger and pizza parlors are already up and running, and soon they will be coming to your neighborhood. As I said, I have relatives that own fast food restaurants and they tell me they can't wait till they are automated, and have been able to do away with most employees. No longer will they be hiring 40 to 60 employees to staff a restaurant.

It is estimated that raising minimum wages to $15 an hour, would cost McDonald's restaurants $8,000,000,000 a year. That 8 billion dollars would quickly pay to automate every McDonald's in the country. At that pay scale, they could pay to automate the burger making in 6 months (takes 1 year at today's minimum wage. From then on it would be mostly all that would go into the pockets of the restaurant owner.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
You can afford that today too.

Albuquerque, New Mexico (according to your profile, close to where you live)
Rent: $400 for shared room
Bus Ticket: $20
Groceries: $250
Take home pay: $1170

Left over is $500 per month, is that not enough for discretionary spending? New Mexico cannot afford a $15 minimum wage, because their median hourly wage is $15.54. You try to push the minimum wage to $15, and you will soon be unemployed.
That may work for a single person in Albuquerque, but it certainly doesn't work anyone with children. It also doesn't work in many areas. Many places don't have buses. And many that do have buses, a monthly bus pass is much more than $20.

Thinking a person would only spend $250 a month on groceries is also not going to work for a lot of people. There are weeks were I spend that on 2 people! Those weeks when I have to buy a lot of supplies - toilet paper, paper towels, wipes, dish detergent, laundry detergent, fabric softener, dryer sheets, toilet cleaner, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, etc.

A shared room? Do you mean a roommate situation? That's risky unless you've known each other for a long time. You've also left out utilities, phone, cable/internet. This all sounds good in theory, but then there's reality.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You must not have read my post. I said, "I have not seen anyone use them, but I'm sure some patrons do." I still don't understand why one would go to a full service restaurant just to use a computer. Are people so intolerant of the occasional mistake or human interaction that they prefer to use an enlarged smartphone at a full service restaurant? Why further automate our very automated society? I love my laptop and smartphone, but I don't want to use machines as a replacement for social interactions. Everyone makes their own choices, but when I'm out and about, I like talking and dealing with people. If they make an error, so what? Everyone makes mistakes. We deal with it and move on.
No, I did read your post. There are plenty of people who use them, you just don't see it. In many restaurants, that's now how you pay your bill. Some of us prefer the Ziosk because we don't have to wait for a server to take our order or wait to pay our bill. I've been at Chili's where we've been there an hour and a half and were seriously ready to leave.....some nights they're slow as molasses. We don't have all the time in the world and if we're eating out, it's because we have stuff to do. We don't eat out for leisure.

So you don't want to use a machine, but there are plenty of people who don't mind. If your social interactions for the day are the few minutes you talk to a server, then maybe you need to get out more or hang out with friends and family more. Not everyone likes talking and dealing with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment