Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 04:19 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,088,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The big gas station chains that sell food have been using the self order kiosks for decades it has nothing to do with the minimum wage.
False! Gas stations used to employee far more people but it makes better business sense to use kiosks sense they don't require healthcare, $15 hour pay, etc.

If you believe in free college, then you believe in college. If you believe in college then you believe in macroeconomics which is taught there and it explains clearly in theory that raising the price/cost(wages) reduces the demand(employment). This is a well accepted and established theory and actually makes sense unlike alot of the bunk they dish out!

While Obama was golfing, Trump made a quick phone call and saved 1000 good paying jobs at carrier. Now Trump needs to make a few more phone calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 04:30 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
False! Gas stations used to employee far more people but it makes better business sense to use kiosks sense they don't require healthcare, $15 hour pay, etc.
that's funny...people have been pumping their own gas since the early 80's when the minimum wage was a little over $3.00 a gallon. By 1982 72% of gas stations were self serve

Old 11-30-2016, 04:36 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,088,109 times
Quote:
that's funny...people have been pumping their own gas since the early 80's when the minimum wage was a little over $3.00 a gallon. By 1982 72% of gas stations were self serve
That's not funny although it might be true!
I'd rather seen young workers employed, pumping gas, etc earning something rather than
sitting at home in their parents basement. The real unemployment rate is still greater than 10% in the US, Thanks Obama!

Old 11-30-2016, 05:15 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
why should the minimum wage be providing a decent life? Why should minimum wage be used to support anyone beyond the person working, IE why do people try to support a family on it.
Because America shouldnt be a third world country with a huge and desperate underclass who suffer greatly. $7.25 an hour is a total joke anywhere in the country. Besides, you have far less control over how "valuable" you are in the work place than you think. Not only intelligence; even work rate and ability to take risks are to a very large degree set the moment you were born and you have nothing to do with that.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:19 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
That's not funny although it might be true!
I'd rather seen young workers employed, pumping gas, etc earning something rather than
sitting at home in their parents basement. The real unemployment rate is still greater than 10% in the US, Thanks Obama!
That's hilarious...everything is Obama's fault. I can't wait until you find out that Trump's idea of 'make America great again' refers only to enriching himself and his friends, my guess is that even when you see that you've been hoodwinked you will still try to blame Obama

Old 11-30-2016, 05:49 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,592,767 times
The job losses are already there without the kiosks. In my area most mcdonalds, wendys and burger kings have only one cashier. They used to have at least 2 cashiers all the time now the lines are always long.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:19 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway365 View Post
Do you honestly believe that? I mean common lol...
Well it is true they still have to deliver food to the tables after the customers order at kiosks and go sit down. I've seen it - that's how it works.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
One of the McDonalds here in Amarillo has been testing kiosks for about 5 months now. I'm almost certain they'll end up being the replacement for the people working the register. Now when an order gets jacked up, they'll have nobody to blame but themselves for selecting the wrong stuff.
I'm in IT and know how to work machines, but we couldn't for the life of us find how to select friggin apple juice on the machine. No category had it. This was after spending almost 2 minutes choosing everything else for 5 people. We cancelled the whole thing and walked up to the register to order.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:39 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,838,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I'm in IT and know how to work machines, but we couldn't for the life of us find how to select friggin apple juice on the machine. No category had it. This was after spending almost 2 minutes choosing everything else for 5 people. We cancelled the whole thing and walked up to the register to order.

If you want to see heads explode watch people at a self checkout at the supermarket try to look up fruits/veggies on the "PLU" video display.

I'll bet at least 95% of the population don't even know what "PLU" stands for.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:41 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,592,767 times
Just going to make the soap and hand sanitizer business more money. Touch screen kiosks are nastyyyy filthy. Just remember before you dig in that someone who just picked their nose, butt, ear or whatever else just touched that screen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment