Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 01:15 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times

Advertisements

The big gas station chains that sell food have been using the self order kiosks for decades it has nothing to do with the minimum wage. It's fear mongering pumped out by the oligarchy that want to keep all wages as low as possible across the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 01:17 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times
Obama complained about fake news today but the entity to which he complained is Rolling Stone which just got nailed for a fake story on college rape!

Old 11-30-2016, 01:41 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Obama complained about fake news today but the entity to which he complained is Rolling Stone which just got nailed for a fake story on college rape!
In all fairness, they did not know the girl was making up the story. This doesn't make it right, but it doesn't compare in any way shape or form to the fake news being planted on purpose by foreign governments simply to mess with and sow doubt about our system of democracy.

yes, Rolling Stone printed a story that they didn't research thoroughly enough, nor did they vet the source properly..this hardly makes them a fake news organization. It also didn't "just" happen, it happened 2 years ago.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 11-30-2016, 01:41 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I hate it too, I'm 54 and hate self-checkout scanners ("Unrecognized item on belt...please wait for help") and I will never vote for any politician who threatens to take our full-serve gas stations away here in NJ. But it doesn't matter, this IS the future.
Better never leave Jersey! It's the only state that has a law that you can't pump your own gas. It's rare to find full service gas stations anywhere else. It's fun watching people from Jersey on the Thruway try to get gas. It's hilarious! Pumping gas is one of the easiest things to do in life. Been doing it since I was 13.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Huh? What does Rolling Stone or college rape have to do with self service kiosks? Wait.....maybe I don't want to know!

Old 11-30-2016, 02:07 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
Not a good sign, it looks like there will be fewer McDonalds jobs in the future.

The push for a $15 starter wage has negatively impacted the career prospects of employees who were just getting started in the workforce while extinguishing the businesses that employed them.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/eb5f795...fight-for.html
One of the McDonalds here in Amarillo has been testing kiosks for about 5 months now. I'm almost certain they'll end up being the replacement for the people working the register. Now when an order gets jacked up, they'll have nobody to blame but themselves for selecting the wrong stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Better never leave Jersey! It's the only state that has a law that you can't pump your own gas. It's rare to find full service gas stations anywhere else. It's fun watching people from Jersey on the Thruway try to get gas. It's hilarious! Pumping gas is one of the easiest things to do in life. Been doing it since I was 13.
Oregon is the other state where you cannot pump your own gasoline. Watching Oregonians stand there with a very bewildered look while they're at the pump is one of the most hilarious things to watch in person. It's even better than people watching at any given Walmart!

Old 11-30-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Oregon is the other state where you cannot pump your own gasoline. Watching Oregonians stand there with a very bewildered look while they're at the pump is one of the most hilarious things to watch in person. It's even better than people watching at any given Walmart!
It's like you need a comfy chair, a cold beverage, and a bowl of popcorn!

Old 11-30-2016, 03:18 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Depends on the grocery store. Self checkouts in many grocery stores on the East Coast will have 4-10 self checkout registers with 1 maybe 2 people monitoring them. You certainly don't need anyone when you have over 20 items. You move your bag and you can remove it after it registers the weight of the last item scanned.

Again, your fast food experience doesn't agree with a lot of what I'm seeing up and down the East Coast. Was just at a McDonald's last week and there were 3 employees working. This was on an Interstate and they had a long line of customers waiting for orders and waiting to place orders.

I have also worked at McDonald's and several other fast food restaurants over the years. I can only think of one place that would ever have 14 people working. That location was crazy busy. Self service will absolutely replace some workers. It already has where they've installed these.
I ate lunch at Wendy's today. I counted 7 workers plus a manager. 3 in the front, 4 in the back. Moderately busy. Maybe they'll reduce that to 5?

I'm sure if they could eliminate all the workers, they would. I've never worked at any business that would NOT like to eliminate it's payroll. Look at what happened to the video rental business because of streaming and Redbox.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:33 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Oregon is the other, not just us. I can do it, I just don't want to. I'd rather sit in my warm car and answer texts or look at directions or find the granola bar that fell down the seat or whatever, and let the guy (or girl) be wet and cold. Plus this gives our state many, many jobs, and still we have cheap gas, cheaper than many self-serve states.

One gas station owner told me self-serve is not cheaper for gas stations because the cost of liability insurance for self-serve is way more than having an employee. We here in south Jersey still have many small mom-and-pop type stations that have been here for decades, in some cases they don't even have employees, and they would go under due to the increased insurance costs. I don't see how it benefits a state financially, to be honest. We would lose thousands of full and part-time time jobs and small businesses and gain what in return?

Plus, when I used to have to go get gas for my mom when she lived in Philly, it was kind of scary in there where I had to pay, with the guy behind bars. No thanks, I'll take our way.

Plus, it would render my "Jersey Girl's Don't Pump gas" T-shirt worthless

CENTER]SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave[/CENTER]

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 11-30-2016 at 03:46 PM..

Old 11-30-2016, 03:59 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,008 times
Ramping up job automation (with kiosks or whatever technology) has been in place for quite some time. Equating kiosks installed at a very large fast-food change with the minimum wage rate does not make much sense to me. Many jobs are being automated at all pay levels all over the world. Applying technology to jobs is a way for companies to save money.

Part of the overall trend for the past few decades is since so many jobs can be automated or outsourced, the average pay differences in wages between the modestly-developed nations (formerly 2nd/3rd world) and those of the western (formerly 1st world nations) are becoming less when in comparison over time and factoring in inflation. E.g. wages in India are going up, while wages in the U.S. have been somewhat stagnant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment