Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 04:55 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Yes the push toward a $15 minimum wage will push companies toward employing less employees.

This is basic economics at play here.
No its not. Lots of countries have an effective minimum wage of $15 and more people are employed there than in America with its starvation $7.25 minimum wage.

I think the main reason some are against it is because they think minimum wage = fast food worker = minorities. Look in this thread, the big majority makes no distinction between fast food worker and minimum wage worker. It is inconceivable to these people that you can be minimum wage worker and not a fast food worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 04:55 PM

776 posts, read 580,970 times
We know the price of everything will rise with minimum wage increase, happens every time. Make minimum wage $100 an hour and watch the inflation. I think if people want a different answer, they have to use a different equation. My only concern with the minimum wage hike in high COL areas is the effect it will have on the surrounding area; Town to town, county to county, state to state. I think you'll have a lot more long distance commuters and a major shift in commerce.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
We know the price of everything will rise with minimum wage increase, happens every time.
Yes,

Quote:
Study: Raising wages to $15 an hour for limited-service restaurant employees would raise prices 4.3 percent

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...3-percent.html
So with $15 minimum wage, the Big Mac would rise from $3.99 to $4.17.

Meanwhile, its broadly understood that a rise in the minimum wage boost the wages of ten times as many people as the people who are on minimum wage. People making $17 now will substantially increase their bargaining power and will be making substantially more with a $15 minimum wage by 2020.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:04 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,936 times
Quote:
No its not. Lots of countries have an effective minimum wage of $15 and more people are employed there than in America with its starvation $7.25 minimum wage.
No true at all, so prove it! Tell that lie to little children overseas making apple products and earning less than 2/hr so that rich Americans can buy their iphones, etc.

Most chinese make less than $2/hr

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_22017853.htm

Beijing set its minimum wage standard at 18.70 yuan ($2.9) per hour from September 28, the highest in the country, the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security (MOHRSS) said on Tuesday.

By the way Apple said it will never bring those jobs back to America, it's time for Donald Trump to make a quick phone call.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:08 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Not true at all, the highest is Luxembourg with a $10 minimum wage.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
No true at all, so prove it! Tell that lie to little children overseas making apple products and earning less than $15/hr so that rich Americans can buy their iphones, etc.

Most chinese make less than $2/hr

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_22017853.htm

Beijing set its minimum wage standard at 18.70 yuan ($2.9) per hour from September 28, the highest in the country, the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security (MOHRSS) said on Tuesday.
How sad to compare America to third world countries.

Look up what McDonalds workers make in Denmark, Australia or Switzerland ($15-$20 an hour) and then look up how many are employed in those countries.

https://data.oecd.org/emp/employment-rate.htm

Old 12-01-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Not true at all, the highest is Luxembourg with $10 minimum wage.
Thats just made up. I can guarantee you that they have not looked into the cost of child care, health care, higher education, paid family leave, sick pay and overtime pay etc etc in these calculations. The idea that a $7.25 minimum wage earner in America is better off than someone in the Netherlands is ludicrous. Not to mention that they exclude all countries where effective minimum wage is set much higher by trade unions and collective bargaining agreements. They also made up the number from Austria.

Last edited by PCALMike; 12-01-2016 at 05:24 PM..

Old 12-01-2016, 05:29 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Thats just made up. I can guarantee you that they have not looked into the cost of child care, health care, higher education, paid family leave, sick pay and overtime pay etc etc in these calculations. The idea that a $7.25 minimum wage earner is better off than someone in the Netherlands is ludicrous.
Its not made up, you just don't know, because your liberal sources always tell you that everything is better in Europe. I lived in Denmark for a while, getting about 20% more than their practical minimum wage. I should have a great standard of living, right? No, in reality I was losing money, because their rent control laws forced me to get a bigger place than what I wanted.

And those benefits you talk about is not that great. Most low wage businesses pay overtime by giving you time off when it suits them, sick pay is often restricted, paid family leave will be based on your lousy income, higher education is not an option for a lot of people, health care suck in many European countries, and many countries lack enough kindergartens.

US has some advantages for minimum wage workers too. You tend to get more cash benefits, taxes are lower, there is a lot of cheap alternatives and it is much cheaper to find a place to live. It is not that different, but the numbers above show that you are partly right. 9.25 is more than 7.25.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:30 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,936 times
Quote:
How sad to compare America to third world countries
I'm not comparing. Some dishonest forum member started spouting the liberal lie that
other countries pay far better wages and I had to call them on that Bernie Sanders whooper of a lie!

Old 12-01-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Its not made up, you just don't know, because your liberal sources always tell you that everything is better in Europe. I lived in Denmark for a while, getting about 20% more than their practical minimum wage. I should have a great standard of living, right? No, in reality I was losing money, because their rent control laws forced me to get a bigger place than what I wanted.

And those benefits you talk about is not that great. Overtime pay laws are often ignored, sick pay is often restricted, paid family leave will be based on your lousy income, higher education is not available, health care suck in many European countries, and many countries lack enough kindergartens.
OK, you are obviously trolling and/or lying through your teeth.

A typical minimum wage earner in America gets no sick leave, no paid vacation and will have to quit the job and have no income if she gets pregnant, cant afford child care, higher education is far too expensive and will have no health insurance. No money for retirement either. Public transit is usually lousy as well so he or she will have car ownership as a big extra expense. The min wage earner in America can become homeless at any moment and there is no social safety net to ensure that he or she will have a home and enough money to eat. Yet, here you are claiming that it is better for that person in America than in other developed countries like Switzerland, Australia and Denmark! HAHA!

Last edited by PCALMike; 12-01-2016 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment