Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 07:14 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The big question would be... will you get 40 hours of minimum wage? I've NEVER known a minimum wage job to be full time. So the take-home pay will be less than that. Also, taxes are going to deduct from that total.
$1170 is take home pay, taxes are included.

And if the problem is that minimum wage workers can't get enough hours, then you definitely should not increase the minimum wage. That will just make the problem worse.

The best time to increase the minimum wage, is when companies force workers to work more hours than they want, and companies profit margin is high. In that situation, a minimum wage increase will lead to higher wages and fewer hours. Which is a win, win situation.

Last edited by Camlon; 12-01-2016 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 07:29 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
False! Gas stations used to employee far more people but it makes better business sense to use kiosks sense they don't require healthcare, $15 hour pay, etc.

If you believe in free college, then you believe in college. If you believe in college then you believe in macroeconomics which is taught there and it explains clearly in theory that raising the price/cost(wages) reduces the demand(employment). This is a well accepted and established theory and actually makes sense unlike alot of the bunk they dish out!

While Obama was golfing, Trump made a quick phone call and saved 1000 good paying jobs at carrier. Now Trump needs to make a few more phone calls.
This was good, but we still have to be careful, or companies will start threatening to leave even if they were never going to just to see what kind of deal they can cut...one moderator compared it to NFL teams, who threaten the city they will leave unless the city builds them a brand new, shiny, stadium. Making individual deals with each company is not a long term solution for anything.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I use self checkouts, as consistently it reduces the time I spend shopping, plus all is bagged as I want it done.

In a few cases, where I see a cashier I know who does a great job at work, I will use his/her checkout lane.
Same here, and I don't have to listen to their canned scripts like "did you find everything?" which I just heard them ask the person ahead of us. There is one cashier at a local supermarket that has been there as long as we have lived here, 23 years who greets us by name and is sincerely friendly. We'll go to his line of he's there, but most of them are like human robots. The purpose of grocery shopping is to acquire the food we need to eat, not to provide a job for someone. The purpose of a store is to make a profit, not to provide someone with a living. It's nice when a company can do both, but fast food and retail both have thin profit margins.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:43 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Just going to make the soap and hand sanitizer business more money. Touch screen kiosks are nastyyyy filthy. Just remember before you dig in that someone who just picked their nose, butt, ear or whatever else just touched that screen
Home Deport and Walmart that have a large number of kiosks have wipes at the door and kiosks. I LOVE the kiosks.

I used to have to stand in long lines at both now just whip through the stores.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:14 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
As I said, invention doesn't equal adaptation. I have also seen those tablets at the Chili's and Applebee's restaurants which allows the customer to replace most of the server's duties with a machine. Just like the kiosks in the fast casual restaurants, I have yet to see anyone use them (I'm sure some do, of course). What's the point of going to a full service restaurant if you're interacting with a computer 90% of the time? Apparently many other customers feel the same way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I use the Ziosk in every restaurant that offers them. Just because you're not seeing people use them doesn't mean they aren't. You can't possibly watch every single person in a restaurant every second you're in there. It literally takes seconds to use the Ziosk. My husband I prefer them. We know what we want and if we need changes made, we can do that. We have yet to screw up our own orders unlike many waitstaff.

Last night at dinner, the waitress never put our appetizer in so it never came. She was too busy doing a crossword puzzle with another table to worry about us. Yeah she deserves $15 an hour. I wish that restaurant had a Ziosk....that tablet is far more useful she was!
You must not have read my post. I said, "I have not seen anyone use them, but I'm sure some patrons do." I still don't understand why one would go to a full service restaurant just to use a computer. Are people so intolerant of the occasional mistake or human interaction that they prefer to use an enlarged smartphone at a full service restaurant? Why further automate our very automated society? I love my laptop and smartphone, but I don't want to use machines as a replacement for social interactions. Everyone makes their own choices, but when I'm out and about, I like talking and dealing with people. If they make an error, so what? Everyone makes mistakes. We deal with it and move on.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:23 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I still don't understand why one would go to a full service restaurant just to use a computer. Are people so intolerant of the occasional mistake or human interaction that they prefer to use an enlarged smartphone at a full service restaurant?
I think some people prefer computers because many places have subpar customer service.

Would you want to interact with a computer or her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAMsNZvOkPw

Old 12-01-2016, 08:28 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Just another form of welfare!
Yes of course it is, and what makes me angry is that a truly small businesses never get a penny of help.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:36 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
I think some people prefer computers because many places have subpar customer service.

Would you want to interact with a computer or her?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAMsNZvOkPw

It's the ghetto what do you expect. In my neck of the woods the dominos has an open counter and the employees are pretty friendly.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:00 AM

516 posts, read 429,713 times
I dont eat fast food so I don't care. I used to make about $2 above minimum wage and quickly got sick of never having anything or money to do things. I joined an apprenticeship.....now I make close to six figures per year.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Bartenders don't really have time to take food orders at super busy places the tablets at places like Chili's make sense to be honest. It's a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment