Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 01:13 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,004 times

Advertisements

For those who don't know by now, all of these "shortages" are myths by the robber barons to make wages stagnant so they can get richer while the rest of the country gets poorer. And it's time we stopped believing the "shortage" lies and started questioning the motives of those who still insist that there is one. The only shortage I see right now is a shortage of decent businessmen and politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 06:22 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,088,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
For those who don't know by now, all of these "shortages" are myths by the robber barons to make wages stagnant so they can get richer while the rest of the country gets poorer. And it's time we stopped believing the "shortage" lies and started questioning the motives of those who still insist that there is one. The only shortage I see right now is a shortage of decent businessmen and politicians.

True, there are plenty of job candidates out there, generated by colleges, high schools, etc.
Some might not have the skills, but they could be trained, by these greedy companies.
Facecrap, Microshift and Gaggle are discriminating against US job candidates purposely.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
True, there are plenty of job candidates out there, generated by colleges, high schools, etc.
Some might not have the skills, but they could be trained, by these greedy companies.
Facecrap, Microshift and Gaggle are discriminating against US job candidates purposely.
I cannot understand why anyone would expect a company to spend time and money training someone when they can simply hire people that already have the skills, regardless of where they are coming from.
These are international companies, and some of their staff has to speak multiple languages to do their work. The odds of finding someone from India, China, Spain, or even Russia that speaks English and has those skills is much greater than finding someone from here speaking one of those languages.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:57 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Yeah and then they want to complain that "people aren't getting skills."

I don't think my library would appreciate me spending 6-8 hours there hogging all their bandwidth trying to watch classes on the internet.
It's a pretty cheesy library that doesn't want patrons to work there. All libraries have desks that are set up for people who want to study or work. Sometimes you don't even have to rely on wifi and can plug into gigabit ethernet. Many university libraries have the classes on local servers and you don't even have to use the internet to watch them.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
Yeah the whole "nursing is hot hot hot" thing is way overblown, it's not like that in the real world from what I've seen (speaking in terms of the "generic" BSN or nursing degrees anyway). It seems hit and miss, for every one nurse that "gets hired straight out of school for $60k" there seems to be 2-3 that end up working something unrelated.

I still vividly remember when I was still in college for my IT degree around 2009, I recall that spring there was a lot of "chatter" on the internet and in real life about nursing being "the failsafe degree". I even recall seeing many new students enrolling in nursing that spring (conveniently timed with the economic collapse just a few months prior). You can only imagine how many nurses and BSNs have been pumped out between now and then. Certainly seems to be a glut in some parts of the country.

I guess that's just one example of how even "solid" degrees can suffer from a glut if the economy gets bad enough/if enough people "rush" into a particular field to seek "safety" from the uncertain economy. Ironically this strategy "dilutes" the value of the degree and creates more job in-security, not less

One of the main problems is this "contagious social meme" phenomenon. Once word gets out or "spreads" that a particular industry is booming, the hordes of unemployed/desperate "flood into it" and create a glut. Once "social consciuosness" catches wind of a desirable/hot job it seems it's just a matter of time until a glut occurs.

The real "safest" jobs are probably:

1) obscure, highly-specialized jobs that no one knows about

2) dirty/dangerous low-paying jobs that the general public/Americans don't want to do anyways even if they know about them

3) some sort of "permanent" government job (easier said than done though, and/or requires connections)
I think you found the variable. Some places are just not good for finding a job. I have a cousin who put herself through a CC nursing program being a nursing aide, got a job immediately after getting her RN, continued on to a BSN, and has never looked back. This was in Seattle. If she tried the same in Pittsburgh she might have end up eating beans in a one room flop. A niece who just turned 21 became a dialysis tech in a 9 month CC program, and was working 60 hours a week before she even graduated.

There's a secret to being employed: don't even consider a job that does not require you to be licensed. That's why being a plumber is profitable but being a carpenter is not. Get into a field that requires a professional license. A degree in accounting makes you a bookkeeper, a license makes you an accountant. Once you have the license, you are no longer competing with every Tom, Dick and Honey Boo Boo who wanders in off the street.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:33 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I cannot understand why anyone would expect a company to spend time and money training someone when they can simply hire people that already have the skills, regardless of where they are coming from.
These are international companies, and some of their staff has to speak multiple languages to do their work. The odds of finding someone from India, China, Spain, or even Russia that speaks English and has those skills is much greater than finding someone from here speaking one of those languages.

I won't focus on the language stuff---that's a different story. But I was trained pretty much from scratch and after about a year, I was running circles around most of the people with 15+ years experience. Even my boss was surprised when I would score better than very experienced people in my field on evaluations. I'm not trying to toot my own horn---I am just saying that sometimes "the skills" aren't what they appear to be.

Train someone with a good brain in a big organization and they might stick around if you allow them to move up and make progress within the system. What I don't understand are the places that are supposedly so great (and I am at one of them now) that have high turnover rates and it seems okay for some reason. That's a waste of money, especially in health care. And guess what? I'm adding to those turnover numbers, since I will be leaving this sinking ship and heading back to the organization I wish I never left in the first place.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's a pretty cheesy library that doesn't want patrons to work there. All libraries have desks that are set up for people who want to study or work. Sometimes you don't even have to rely on wifi and can plug into gigabit ethernet. Many university libraries have the classes on local servers and you don't even have to use the internet to watch them.
My local library only allows you to borrow the computers for an hour max during any session. So there is that, it would be impossible to do a multi-hour project.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:14 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My local library only allows you to borrow the computers for an hour max during any session. So there is that, it would be impossible to do a multi-hour project.
You would probably want to invest in your own laptop and just use the librarys high speed internet and reference books. I have found I am better able to leverage my time by having my own home office as I can isolate myself without people walking around or being worried about closing time.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The computers at any library I have ever been in were seldom used. People bring their own laptops and use the library internet for access. For that matter, a local pizza parlor has excellent wifi, and doesn't mind if you hang out there for hours. It's open until 2 AM, so there is plenty of time to work. Coffee shops and used book stores are other places to find free internet. You can buy your own very capable Windows 10 laptop (15 inch screen, 4 gb ram, 500 gb hd, DVD r/w, WiFi + Bluetooth) for under $250. If you can afford to work or go to school you can afford that.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:45 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The computers at any library I have ever been in were seldom used. People bring their own laptops and use the library internet for access. For that matter, a local pizza parlor has excellent wifi, and doesn't mind if you hang out there for hours. It's open until 2 AM, so there is plenty of time to work. Coffee shops and used book stores are other places to find free internet. You can buy your own very capable Windows 10 laptop (15 inch screen, 4 gb ram, 500 gb hd, DVD r/w, WiFi + Bluetooth) for under $250. If you can afford to work or go to school you can afford that.
Or someone could go dig in the ground and find the metals to make the circuits and dig for oil and distill the oil over a camp fire to make the plastics lol, seriously can people really not even afford a lap top?

I will go social justice on the price of real estate but a lap top ... really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment