Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 07:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
But if you're running a business, the goal is to minimize risk. Hiring questionable junior talent, even at low salaries, is just really risky. What percentage of them will "fail"? What is the cost of that?
I wouldn't take that risk
Hey, I agree with you. However, some folks here seem to think that businesses can hire anyone with a good heart and willing to work hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 07:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Hey, I agree with you. However, some folks here seem to think that businesses can hire anyone with a good heart and willing to work hard.
I had a business for 16 years with 3-4 employees. When I interviewed and hired the best qualified, experienced person they always worked out well. The two times that I succumbed to a request from a customer to hire their friends or relative I had to let them both go within a few weeks. It was no surprise to them, they knew they were not able to do the work even with more training. Many jobs require skills that some people cannot be taught to everyone that walks in the door.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:09 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
Quote:

They can so long as all the cheap labor options are removed from the market which is what Trump is NOT doing right now. Buisness will respond to the contraction in cheap H1B/imports/globalization if/when the USA starts engaging in more protectionist policies. Some will go out of business and the rest will respond and life will go on, only life will go on with more americans having more and better jobs and more leverage in the market place.

That's not to say that you wont still have to compete with other legitimate Americans (ie not anchor babies, H1B's, cheap imported goods, etc). At least then it will be a level playing field and your odds will be way better.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:31 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Someone suggested that companies like Facebook, Google, and Amazon should hire high school graduates and train them on the job. Um, can folks even learn architecture, development, programming, languages like Python, Hadoop, or technologies like blockchain on the job?

Ideas like this show how much people truly don't understand about what's happening in the world.
It does happen. My daughter's high school classmate worked at FB during HS. He was set to go off to a prestigious university after graduation, but FB made him an offer to work at FB full time instead of going to higher ed.

$125K is pretty good money when you're 17 years old & graduating from high school. He's now 25 and makes well over $200K base nowadays.

Yes, he's an outlier - a very gifted kid.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
That is not the issue now, the issue now is we have under employed engineers
But you are neither underemployed nor an engineer.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
But you are neither underemployed nor an engineer.
One of those is true, but its like being on a quickly melting ice berg in the middle of the arctic ocean. Once that ice burg melt out from under you there is no where to go.

The few people who are not under employed have very little leverage and if anything happens they are screwed because its not like there are a plethora of appropriately priced jobs for the skills and education/licenses.

I am recommending people that do have proper jobs to save save save because you never know when the rug will be pulled out and if/when it is it could take years to get another proper job and could require uprooting (selling a house, pulling kids out of school, leaving aging parents behind, etc).

Old 04-06-2017, 09:21 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
For example, if someone wants your software engineering job and doesn't know Java well, you can ask them about high level programming aspects that shows that they know something about writing code and problem solving.

Part of the issue is that we pigeon hole people. If you aren't doing the exact same job (at the exact same pay rate) then you are not qualified and everyone else must be horse crap. This leads to an artificial talent shortage.
And those that would like to learn something new, expand their skills, add something else to their credentials won't be given the opportunity because the only jobs that they can get are the same ones that they did before. This results in a very stagnant workforce.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:42 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's a pretty cheesy library that doesn't want patrons to work there. All libraries have desks that are set up for people who want to study or work. Sometimes you don't even have to rely on wifi and can plug into gigabit ethernet. Many university libraries have the classes on local servers and you don't even have to use the internet to watch them.
My library has a 45 minute maximum per day per library card patron. I think you will find that most libraries have time limits on their computers, if your library is lucky enough to have some sort of reservation system. Otherwise, you can sit around waiting for hours before you have the chance to use one.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
And those that would like to learn something new, expand their skills, add something else to their credentials won't be given the opportunity because the only jobs that they can get are the same ones that they did before. This results in a very stagnant workforce.
Not true at all. I learn new things, expand my skills, and add credentials all the time. One doesn't need an employer to boost them up to do these things. Do it on your own.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Not true at all. I learn new things, expand my skills, and add credentials all the time. One doesn't need an employer to boost them up to do these things. Do it on your own.
I think what he/she is trying to say is that if you have say 8 years of experience working a a bus driver while you slowly go to school to be a scientist all of your experience will be in bus driving. You will be 26 basicly starting with 0 experience in your chose field. Companies dont like that, they like 25 year olds with masters degrees and 5 years of experience who had internships at 19.

There are some serious disconnects and fed govt is not filling the gap like they used to. I have heard that for every federal opening there are thousands of applicants becuase they are the only jobs worth having for most people (unless you can get a well into the 6 figure private sector job and pad your own retirement without living on ramen).

It does not matter if you struggled though and got a masters in physics if you did not do it by the time you are 23 with 3 internships your SOL. BTW internships are just as brtual and cut throat as the regular job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment