Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 07:28 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
they thought they could take $40k+ in loans for college and come out 4 years later with a job while they didn't put in any effort in the prior 4 years into searching for a job, all they did was do homework and make it an adult extension of high school. Employers do not care you can turn in homework, that you played sports, etc. They are 22+ year old adults, and most of them can't balance a checkbook, can't cook a meal without a microwave, can't put together a concrete actionable plan.

yes they are delusional

and on top of that, they look down on entry level work as beneath them, so they won't even take the jobs they are offered to them without grumbling and moaning that they are better than that.

for all the team sports/participation events, people don't know how to actually work together, they think about me and it stops at you, they won't go out of their way to put an effort into connecting with other people
Before you call others delusional, you should look in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 07:32 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Before you call others delusional, you should look in the mirror.
Oh, I don't mind being delusional, you say it like it is an insult to me

except, I can fund what I want in my delusion... how about that?

Old 04-08-2017, 07:40 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
My last two job searches took one year and two years. I've been there. I hear everyone's pain. I'm just not so pessimistic. Life is tough but what alternatives are there? Take it as it comes and keep fighting forward.

There has never been a safe place to jump to. Why do you believe such a thing ever existed? It certainly has never existed for me as a woman, or for others like the handicapped or people of color.

Has it ever occurred to you that your personal reality isn't absolute or universal?
In my business in the past as early as as 15 years ago anyone decent (man, woman, minority's, didn't matter) could get hired with one phone call and start work the next day at a very good wage. Plenty of money for the basics AND discretionary income on top of that.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:41 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Sooo many people romanticize the past, thinking there was a safety net and everyone's lives were on easy street. But, the reality was much darker. People today expect not to fight and that everything is supposed to never change and be easy.
Things were MUCH easier in the past. It's not even comparable to today.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:00 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
they thought they could take $40k+ in loans for college and come out 4 years later with a job while they didn't put in any effort in the prior 4 years into searching for a job, all they did was do homework and make it an adult extension of high school. Employers do not care you can turn in homework, that you played sports, etc. They are 22+ year old adults, and most of them can't balance a checkbook, can't cook a meal without a microwave, can't put together a concrete actionable plan.

yes they are delusional

and on top of that, they look down on entry level work as beneath them, so they won't even take the jobs they are offered to them without grumbling and moaning that they are better than that.

for all the team sports/participation events, people don't know how to actually work together, they think about me and it stops at you, they won't go out of their way to put an effort into connecting with other people
That is the problem now and will be forever due to todays snowflakes demanding more without earning it. I agree with your response 100%!! They think they are better than that, so will refuse it. They just dont understand that they have to SHOW it and EARN it like the rest of the work force has done.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Things were MUCH easier in the past. It's not even comparable to today.
Easier for everyone or for certain people? It's 2017 and Women still make less than men for the same work. That's considered progress. So yeah, easier for...???

Old 04-09-2017, 06:46 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,639,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
I'm talking *specifically* about highly educated/degree holder people "stuck" working low-paying jobs that are completely unrelated to their field of study. This has been a trend for a while now, although 08' obviously made it worse.

I'm noticing it is starting to happen to even the "good" degrees such as engineering, nursing, and law. Is it simply a matter of not enough good jobs to go around?

Thoughts?
The older generations refuse to see this as a reality as they sit comfortable in the little bubble they've created for themselves.

How do you fix it?

Government needs to get out of bed with corporations, competition needs to increase, government entitlements need to decrease, and skilled workers need to have the leverage to command a higher, respectable salary.

Currently there is no stability, healthcare, and retirement when the younger generations are older.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:19 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
So who is underemployed? Everyone I know who studied computer science, dentistry, or engineering are all gainfully employed in high salary jobs. Now if you majored in art history or psychology and work at Wallyworld, well....

Old 04-09-2017, 08:12 AM

421 posts, read 205,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker
So who is underemployed? Everyone I know who studied computer science, dentistry, or engineering are all gainfully employed in high salary jobs. Now if you majored in art history or psychology and work at Wallyworld, well....
We've been over this , even "solid" degrees can (and do) end up under-employed. Part of the reason you don't hear about it much is the shame/embarrassment of those affected, people who have advanced degrees but work crappy/low-pay jobs are not gonna talk about it openly or avoid the topic (understandably).

The other side of that coin is that the handful of people who DO land their dream high-paying job and "make it" are much more likely to advertise/brag about it and thus are much more "visible" in the eyes of the general public. The college industry certainly "jumps" on every opportunity to highlight or exaggerate a successful grad, the sub-liminal message being "see? ANYONE can make it! Just go to college!"

I was reading just the other day, on this *same* sub-forum, a thread about a friggin licensed DENTIST who can't find proper work

Old 04-09-2017, 03:17 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Easier for everyone or for certain people? It's 2017 and Women still make less than men for the same work. That's considered progress. So yeah, easier for...???

That is false.

Women make the same as men when you account for variables such as job title, education, years experience and so on.

The problem is that men and women make different life choices that cause the general gap in wages - for example, men are more likely to go into engineering or the trades which tend to pay more, while women go into education. Also, women are more likely to take time off to spend taking care of family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment