Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 03:21 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
That is the problem now and will be forever due to todays snowflakes demanding more without earning it. I agree with your response 100%!! They think they are better than that, so will refuse it. They just dont understand that they have to SHOW it and EARN it like the rest of the work force has done.
False.

Part of the problem is that 50 years ago, you could start out in the mail room and work your way up to an exec because companies actually invested in their workforce, so that anyone who worked hard enough could do it.

Nowadays, a lot of the entry level work has dried up, and companies are less likely to develop their workforce - you're lucky that you got that 2% raise this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 03:28 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
False.

Part of the problem is that 50 years ago, you could start out in the mail room and work your way up to an exec because companies actually invested in their workforce, so that anyone who worked hard enough could do it.

Nowadays, a lot of the entry level work has dried up, and companies are less likely to develop their workforce - you're lucky that you got that 2% raise this year!

Thats a good point. What has changed in the psyche of people in management positions to where they invested in their workforce to what we have today? A good deal for job openings is investment and advancement in the workforce. But career advancement seems to be gone. The only way to advance is to leave now sadly

Old 04-09-2017, 05:06 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Thats a good point. What has changed in the psyche of people in management positions to where they invested in their workforce to what we have today? A good deal for job openings is investment and advancement in the workforce. But career advancement seems to be gone. The only way to advance is to leave now sadly

...or maybe the issue is with employees! Their quality has gotten much worse but they still think they're rock stars for some reason

Old 04-09-2017, 07:44 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
...or maybe the issue is with employees! Their quality has gotten much worse but they still think they're rock stars for some reason
That i can agree with. Just because you went to YALL, doesnt mean you can work with erin brockovich

Old 04-09-2017, 07:52 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
That is the problem now and will be forever due to todays snowflakes demanding more without earning it. I agree with your response 100%!! They think they are better than that, so will refuse it. They just dont understand that they have to SHOW it and EARN it like the rest of the work force has done.
I'm sorry but it works both ways. There are a lot of companies out there that want top flight talent at grunt positions for grunt pay and little to no benefits. They don't get that top talent because the best are headed to other firms which offer more.

Meanwhile they are stuck with the average pool of employees and applicants that they actually deserve. But they don't want to admit that so they don't hire anyone for the position and try to blame the entire workforce mainly the crop of new grads as being subpar instead of evaluating what they bring to the table.

I mean really all of these new graduates are unemployable? That's the biggest load of horse crap I've ever heard.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
And your proof of this is....?

Old 04-09-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

I remember reading in Forbes (I think) that if you take a new job every two years, you can double your salary in a short period of time - usually much shorter than if you stayed with a single employer the whole time.

Yet companies want to complain about loyalty and turnover.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post

I mean really all of these new graduates are unemployable? That's the biggest load of horse crap I've ever heard.
This is why I gave up on posting here for several years - it seems that there is an attitude that all kids out of school are whiny and automatically want a 6 figure salary.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I'm sorry but it works both ways. There are a lot of companies out there that want top flight talent at grunt positions for grunt pay and little to no benefits. They don't get that top talent because the best are headed to other firms which offer more.

Meanwhile they are stuck with the average pool of employees and applicants that they actually deserve. But they don't want to admit that so they don't hire anyone for the position and try to blame the entire workforce mainly the crop of new grads as being subpar instead of evaluating what they bring to the table.

It can go both ways, but the new recruit will not get what he wants with no experience behind that 4 year old paper. They will need to take that entry level job for now to show that they are educated and able to meet the need, than move up from their or stick with it as as stepping stone. I witness people graduating with computer science degrees, and only end up being a level 1 help desk. $12-15 hour job. They are mad because they cant get the T3 job that is open. With no experience, your not going to get that top job period. While on the other hand, im sure you know somebody dumb as kelly bundy and still graduated with a degree.. So got to prove that you learn something before they will let you hang with the big dogs.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
This is why I gave up on posting here for several years - it seems that there is an attitude that all kids out of school are whiny and automatically want a 6 figure salary.
Most do, call DRs lol.. but parents get mad when they dont land that job with yahoo, google or some high end tech company. Kids today have no respect in earning anything, they want it handed to them. Just because you know java, doesnt mean your going to get in at google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment