Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,983 times

Advertisements

I find it so funny that some of you expect companies to hire unqualified people and train them. That makes no sense. Every company should and does have basic qualifications, and if you don't meet them, why should they be forced to hire you.

And also, companies do hire and train for junior associate roles, and they are overwhelmingly new college grads.

A lot of the "hire american" stuff just reeks of AFFIRMATIVE ACTION to me. Not acceptable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 04:18 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
A lot of the "hire american" stuff just reeks of AFFIRMATIVE ACTION to me. Not acceptable
Depending on the past election results, it appears the majority of working class prefer protectionism over the oligarchy's preference of free markets.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:50 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Depending on the past election results, it appears the majority of working class prefer protectionism over the oligarchy's preference of free markets.
Free markets are not in americans best interest, I don't care what posters like tonym think, free markets as they are defined today are toxic for America. I don't care what kind of label the oligarchs want to put on it. Either start treating the people (americans) you do business with as partners or get out and pay the 45% tarrif when you want to import stuff back in, its that simple. Or just don't do business here period.

When americans finally pull there heads out of their rear ends we can finally get to work bettering our own country men and put the screws to everyone else. If a business model is enriching forigners and the elite then they need to be taxed out of existence. But americans have to decide that they don't live and breath to act as slaves, they have to start voting against those that are in companies back pockets.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Or someone could go dig in the ground and find the metals to make the circuits and dig for oil and distill the oil over a camp fire to make the plastics lol, seriously can people really not even afford a lap top?

I will go social justice on the price of real estate but a lap top ... really?
Yes. For some people getting $250 all at once is impossible.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:56 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The computers at any library I have ever been in were seldom used. People bring their own laptops and use the library internet for access. For that matter, a local pizza parlor has excellent wifi, and doesn't mind if you hang out there for hours. It's open until 2 AM, so there is plenty of time to work. Coffee shops and used book stores are other places to find free internet. You can buy your own very capable Windows 10 laptop (15 inch screen, 4 gb ram, 500 gb hd, DVD r/w, WiFi + Bluetooth) for under $250. If you can afford to work or go to school you can afford that.
Mine are always in use. You have to wait to use them, and they have an online appointment system. We even have "express" computers with 15 minute limited because they are so popular. I have been known to print at the library, because I figured getting more ink for my printer was a waste of money.

I print so seldomly, it is actually cheaper to rent a computer for 15 minutes at Kinkos and pay the printing charges. I did the math a few years ago and it didn't cross over into the price of a printer cartridge.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yes. For some people getting $250 all at once is impossible.
That is really hard for me to grasp. 250$ is not very much money.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Mine are always in use. You have to wait to use them, and they have an online appointment system. We even have "express" computers with 15 minute limited because they are so popular. I have been known to print at the library, because I figured getting more ink for my printer was a waste of money.

I print so seldomly, it is actually cheaper to rent a computer for 15 minutes at Kinkos and pay the printing charges. I did the math a few years ago and it didn't cross over into the price of a printer cartridge.
I will agree, ink is a fleece. There is no reason an ink carterage should cost 80$

Old 04-04-2017, 08:40 PM

926 posts, read 829,844 times
I'm 24 and I have a bachelors degree and it's fricking rediculous that I only make 75k. I should be making 1.5 million dollars now like back in the old days. lol Americans.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
I'm 24 and I have a bachelors degree and it's fricking rediculous that I only make 75k. I should be making 1.5 million dollars now like back in the old days. lol Americans.

Americans have been brainwashed by corporations and advertising agencies to think that we're underpaid and over taxed. I work in advertising, so I always find it funny how the human mind can be manipulated.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I find it so funny that some of you expect companies to hire unqualified people and train them. That makes no sense. Every company should and does have basic qualifications, and if you don't meet them, why should they be forced to hire you.
Someone suggested that companies like Facebook, Google, and Amazon should hire high school graduates and train them on the job. Um, can folks even learn architecture, development, programming, languages like Python, Hadoop, or technologies like blockchain on the job?

Ideas like this show how much people truly don't understand about what's happening in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment