Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 11:39 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,994 times

Advertisements

I just sent an email telling him that I have two interviews next week. Even though I "feel stupid" for doing this, I felt like it was the right thing to do. My current boss has been awesome with me so I wanted to pay him back with the same respect that he has shown me. Would you guys have done the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 11:53 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Is the company closing or reorganizing? Usually this at best woul muddy the waters so to speak. I cant see this as being a good choice. Its best to be discreet. You can show respect by giving ample notice and wrapping things up professionally and be willing to train someone to replace you. Let us know how things turn out. Hope all goes ok.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Is the company closing or reorganizing? Usually this at best woul muddy the waters so to speak. I cant see this as being a good choice. Its best to be discreet. You can show respect by giving ample notice and wrapping things up professionally and be willing to train someone to replace you. Let us know how things turn out. Hope all goes ok.

Well i should also mention that my boss knows that I want to do accounting work; thus, my current job would be temporary. He's well aware of this; there's no secrets. And to be fair, I applied with the jobs that I interviewed for BEFORE i applied for my current job. I don't want him to be caught off guard if they call him to verify my employment.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I recently went through this with two of my people, and I was very much appreciative of the advance notice. In this case both applied for promotions to two different departments, but HR doesn't tell us until a selection is made. As a manager, despite the problems caused by being short two now (both got the promotions) I was able to plan ahead and get going on the replacement process in advance and be ready to jump on it when official notice was given. I am happy for my people to move up and advance their careers, especially when staying here, and would not have treated them any differently in the future if they had not been selected. If a manager truly does a good job of hiring the best people, they have to expect them to move on in time. Unfortunately their are managers and supervisors that take a more selfish approach but hopefully not in your case, OP.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I recently went through this with two of my people, and I was very much appreciative of the advance notice. In this case both applied for promotions to two different departments, but HR doesn't tell us until a selection is made. As a manager, despite the problems caused by being short two now (both got the promotions) I was able to plan ahead and get going on the replacement process in advance and be ready to jump on it when official notice was given. I am happy for my people to move up and advance their careers, especially when staying here, and would not have treated them any differently in the future if they had not been selected. If a manager truly does a good job of hiring the best people, they have to expect them to move on in time. Unfortunately their are managers and supervisors that take a more selfish approach but hopefully not in your case, OP.

Thank you. I appreciate your words.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
I think if they know you are looking for something else and that was the plan, it isn't a problem. Now if it were out of the blue, it could be an issue especially with staffing issues at your location.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:27 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I just sent an email telling him that I have two interviews next week. Even though I "feel stupid" for doing this, I felt like it was the right thing to do. My current boss has been awesome with me so I wanted to pay him back with the same respect that he has shown me. Would you guys have done the same thing?
No, I would not. I don't see this as an issue of respect. I have had a number of supervisors I respected. I demonstrated my respect with adequate notice of resignation and doing my best to ensure a smooth transition. Interviews are non-issues until they turn into offers.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:46 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
No, I would not. I don't see this as an issue of respect. I have had a number of supervisors I respected. I demonstrated my respect with adequate notice of resignation and doing my best to ensure a smooth transition. Interviews are non-issues until they turn into offers.
I agree.

I wouldn't have done so either.

An interview is not a solid job offer. What's going to happen if no job offers happen.

I have never notified any of my superiors that I was interviewing or looking for an external job (internal jobs are a separate matter which may be dictated by employee handbook). I don't see how doing so is respectful.

In fact I'd say it's disrespectful because it tells your boss you no longer care about the job and putting him on the spot. Unless that was your intent to force his hand at addressing what is making you unhappy enough to interview, if so, then you should have at the least told him face to face instead of a loaded email which to me isn't very professional.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:59 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,075 times
Depends on the relationship you have with your boss. Some people have a general distrust in management, so they prefer to keep things discreet until an offer is in hand. If you have a very good, open relationship with your manager, and you worded your email in a very professional manner (i.e. "a great professional opportunity has arisen for me at Company X..."), then this may be a non-issue. Like Hemlock explained above, some managers are very appreciative of it, while some others may take it as you having little stake in your current job, or worse, as a personal sleight against them.

Just a couple of anecdotal stories I have from my experience.

At my previous job, I tried to express an interest in learning and taking on a certain type of work outside my current scope to my manager at the time. This seemed to frazzle him and it really put a strain on our professional relationship. I think he took it as if I was not interested in the job at hand, while I thought I was doing the right thing by expressing an interest in going above and beyond.

At my current job, I very cautiously expressed my interest in a similar fashion. This time around, my new manager was very receptive to me wanting to learn and grow. Now, he hasn't particularly helped me achieve such goals, but he hasn't put any obstacles in my way either. He seemed receptive towards the idea and is leaving it to me to pursue it however I want.

So there you have it. Two completely different reactions to the same situation, which illustrates my earlier point that it depends on the relationship you have with your manager.

The biggest downside and greatest incentive to keeping your job hunt discreet, especially if you don't have a great relationship with your manager, is that they might line up your replacement even before you have a solid job offer in hand.

Last edited by Left-handed; 09-14-2017 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-14-2017, 02:04 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I agree.

I wouldn't have done so either.

An interview is not a solid job offer. What's going to happen if no job offers happen.

I have never notified any of my superiors that I was interviewing or looking for an external job (internal jobs are a separate matter which may be dictated by employee handbook). I don't see how doing so is respectful.

In fact I'd say it's disrespectful because it tells your boss you no longer care about the job and putting him on the spot. Unless that was your intent to force his hand at addressing what is making you unhappy enough to interview, if so, then you should have at the least told him face to face instead of a loaded email which to me isn't very professional.
What's to say he didn't already bring it up?
Even then, AFAIK, if the OP does bring it up and ended up leaving the meeting because changes couldn't be agreed upon, I'm guessing that his boss will now be "on edge" anyways, as sometimes, a common next step would be to start looking for work.

Last but not least, while the OP may not care about the work, it's also possible the company may not care about him. Blame to go both ways really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment