Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 12:54 PM

923 posts, read 527,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Kind;50741902]Good point. Then start your own company. Very simple.
So which is it? Either people are well enough that they can just start their own businesses with a snap of the proverbial fingers, or it truly is quite the obstacle to do just that.
Obviously the fear of the unknown stops many. There is an obstacle in everything we want, time tends
to be the one that comes up often here. People only want to work 40 hours a week. Work an extra 10 hours per week doing jobs people don't want to do can net you at least $10/hour. That's $5,200 extra per year. Just cut that in half and that's still a nice chunk of money.

True, my assets aren't on the line if a company goes under. OTOH, I'm at the whim of a boss' decision to more or less unilaterally lay off the whole team. Management gets final say in all decisions. If the company does well, my pay is still only my salary or hourly rate, whereas YOU would reap all the rest of the benefits. 'Flip the switch'... if this is such a bad proposition, then consider working for "the man" again so you won't need to deal with all that, and have that tradeoff.

Reap all the benefits, and swallow all the loss'. If no loss', then get into competition with that company by forming your own. If it's a gravy train, why not?
I still work for "the man". The "man" is lenders who want their money back after I've borrowed it for many years. The "man" for me is also my employee's whom rely on me for a job.
"Flip the switch" for you, own your own company and find out what stress is really about.

There are also those that work harder knowing they're more motivated with better pay.
And "others wanting more" is relative. How many folks buy a $5 smoothie, shake, latte, when if they paid $10, they'd get a decent meal that's nutritionally a superior value? Yet, the $5 drink is still doing fairly well. If the folks who were making only a few notches above the previous MW are now offended by this change, then let's use the old C-D mantra to address their concerns....
1) "life's not fair"
2) "if you didn't want to be in this situation, you should've 'bettered' yourself"[/quote]

Your last paragraph is interesting and partially true. Why are people offended if someone else gets something they can't have or don't have? Happens often everywhere.
Should I be offended that you only work 2000 hours per year and I have to work 3700 hours? No vacation, no sick days, only buy a $5 drink maybe 3-4 times a year? No, I'm not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 04:41 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,943,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
They don't have a choice?

I know... "But there's nowhere else for them to go!" So shouldn't they quit whining and get to work? Or move?
Yea if you are poor none of those things are options. However it seems like your opinion is how dare workers question there situation they need to shut up and accept there place. No wonder people think conservatives are elitist.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:26 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
So which is it? Either people are well enough that they can just start their own businesses with a snap of the proverbial fingers, or it truly is quite the obstacle to do just that.
Obviously the fear of the unknown stops many. There is an obstacle in everything we want, time tends
to be the one that comes up often here. People only want to work 40 hours a week. Work an extra 10 hours per week doing jobs people don't want to do can net you at least $10/hour. That's $5,200 extra per year. Just cut that in half and that's still a nice chunk of money.
True, my assets aren't on the line if a company goes under. OTOH, I'm at the whim of a boss' decision to more or less unilaterally lay off the whole team. Management gets final say in all decisions. If the company does well, my pay is still only my salary or hourly rate, whereas YOU would reap all the rest of the benefits. 'Flip the switch'... if this is such a bad proposition, then consider working for "the man" again so you won't need to deal with all that, and have that tradeoff.

Reap all the benefits, and swallow all the loss'. If no loss', then get into competition with that company by forming your own. If it's a gravy train, why not?
I still work for "the man". The "man" is lenders who want their money back after I've borrowed it for many years. The "man" for me is also my employee's whom rely on me for a job.
"Flip the switch" for you, own your own company and find out what stress is really about.

There are also those that work harder knowing they're more motivated with better pay.
And "others wanting more" is relative. How many folks buy a $5 smoothie, shake, latte, when if they paid $10, they'd get a decent meal that's nutritionally a superior value? Yet, the $5 drink is still doing fairly well. If the folks who were making only a few notches above the previous MW are now offended by this change, then let's use the old C-D mantra to address their concerns....
1) "life's not fair"
2) "if you didn't want to be in this situation, you should've 'bettered' yourself"
Your last paragraph is interesting and partially true. Why are people offended if someone else gets something they can't have or don't have? Happens often everywhere.
Should I be offended that you only work 2000 hours per year and I have to work 3700 hours? No vacation, no sick days, only buy a $5 drink maybe 3-4 times a year? No, I'm not.[/quote]
It seems to be a general C-D community sentiment... people need to work hard to succeed, but those who didn't have to are still held up in high esteem (for example, they're not taking government handouts).
There are those who got further than me in life. If it's because of hard work, I'd definitely respect them in saying "well done". If they didn't, I gotta say I am a bit jealous, but not much more can be done on my end. I still need to make sure I get by. Hopefully, the people in the latter don't try to claim they're where they're at due to their "hard work" of being handed things on a silver platter.
I go to Walmart and eat at FF every now and then. I make far more in front of a computer than they ever will. However, to say that they don't work hard going solely on pay/salary is also false. The folks at the Walmarts I've been to were often very friendly and helpful (I've even tipped some of them.. they saved me a lot of time wandering around aimlessly). Ditto with the FF folks, and they handle lunch rushes, or situations where they're understaffed quite expertly, so I have as much respect for these guys as I go with those who fared better off than me (described in the previous paragraph).

Old 01-22-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Should I be offended that you only work 2000 hours per year and I have to work 3700 hours? No vacation, no sick days, only buy a $5 drink maybe 3-4 times a year? No, I'm not.
It seems to be a general C-D community sentiment... people need to work hard to succeed, but those who didn't have to are still held up in high esteem (for example, they're not taking government handouts).
There are those who got further than me in life. If it's because of hard work, I'd definitely respect them in saying "well done". If they didn't, I gotta say I am a bit jealous, but not much more can be done on my end. I still need to make sure I get by. Hopefully, the people in the latter don't try to claim they're where they're at due to their "hard work" of being handed things on a silver platter.
I go to Walmart and eat at FF every now and then. I make far more in front of a computer than they ever will. However, to say that they don't work hard going solely on pay/salary is also false. The folks at the Walmarts I've been to were often very friendly and helpful (I've even tipped some of them.. they saved me a lot of time wandering around aimlessly). Ditto with the FF folks, and they handle lunch rushes, or situations where they're understaffed quite expertly, so I have as much respect for these guys as I go with those who fared better off than me (described in the previous paragraph).[/quote]

Great post Ackmondual.
I agree with working hard leads to success, it's not just the c-d community IMHO. The biggest issue is the definition of "working hard". Bust your butt or bust your mind, or both?

Sometimes it takes a while to find your own skill, and sometimes you must learn a new skill to get the reward you are trying to accomplish.

As far as those who have had something handed to them, we honestly haven't walked in their shoes to know what it took to get that "hand out". People assume too much, and they listen to gossip far more than they should. I'm guilty of it myself.

The main focus should be on bettering one's self and not worry about what the "Jones'" have/don't have. Leisure time has a cost, it's called opportunity cost. Not enough leisure time also has a cost, family/friends/rest/etc. It's a balancing act.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:01 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
Quote:
I go to Walmart and eat at FF every now and then. I make far more in front of a computer than they ever will. However, to say that they don't work hard going solely on pay/salary is also false. The folks at the Walmarts I've been to were often very friendly and helpful (I've even tipped some of them.. they saved me a lot of time wandering around aimlessly). Ditto with the FF folks, and they handle lunch rushes, or situations where they're understaffed quite expertly, so I have as much respect for these guys as I go with those who fared better off than me (described in the previous paragraph).
Great post Ackmondual.
I agree with working hard leads to success, it's not just the c-d community IMHO. The biggest issue is the definition of "working hard". Bust your butt or bust your mind, or both?

Sometimes it takes a while to find your own skill, and sometimes you must learn a new skill to get the reward you are trying to accomplish.

As far as those who have had something handed to them, we honestly haven't walked in their shoes to know what it took to get that "hand out". People assume too much, and they listen to gossip far more than they should. I'm guilty of it myself.

The main focus should be on bettering one's self and not worry about what the "Jones'" have/don't have. Leisure time has a cost, it's called opportunity cost. Not enough leisure time also has a cost, family/friends/rest/etc. It's a balancing act.[/quote]

The problem is with our society the way it is that leisure time is getting skewed to the skinnier side if you want to keep your head above water, this leads to a volatile unstable society where everyone is constantly working, how long before peoples side hustles become terrorist activities and we end up looking like Guatamala or some middle east crap hole?

Old 01-24-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Great post Ackmondual.

The problem is with our society the way it is that leisure time is getting skewed to the skinnier side if you want to keep your head above water, this leads to a volatile unstable society where everyone is constantly working, how long before peoples side hustles become terrorist activities and we end up looking like Guatamala or some middle east crap hole?
That's taking it to a far extreme, don't you think? How does more work, less leisure lead to a "volatile unstable society"? In my own circumstances, I've gotten into much more trouble when I wasn't working. Same thing has happened to most of the people I know. lol
How would a side hustle lead to terrorist activities? How does it become political? I honestly have no idea how a side hustle could lead to radical political misbehavior.

A side job/hustle doesn't have to last forever, just to get caught up or get ahead a bit. From everything I've read, seen, and heard; people have plenty of leisure time. I see it in my own small community that is labor intensive/long hours.

It all leads to this, if you want/need more money then cut costs or increase income. You didn't get your plane for free, did you Pitts? You earned it.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:24 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
That's taking it to a far extreme, don't you think? How does more work, less leisure lead to a "volatile unstable society"? In my own circumstances, I've gotten into much more trouble when I wasn't working. Same thing has happened to most of the people I know. lol
How would a side hustle lead to terrorist activities? How does it become political? I honestly have no idea how a side hustle could lead to radical political misbehavior.

A side job/hustle doesn't have to last forever, just to get caught up or get ahead a bit. From everything I've read, seen, and heard; people have plenty of leisure time. I see it in my own small community that is labor intensive/long hours.

It all leads to this, if you want/need more money then cut costs or increase income. You didn't get your plane for free, did you Pitts? You earned it.
I'm not going to oversimplify it and say the work-work-work, don't get paid well, no benefits, treated like dirt, constant stress of our society is to blame for it entirely, but how many other western nations have as many crazy mass killers and other crime as us?

Old 01-25-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:

I did, I had a goal and I set out to get it, the loans to get the job and the cost of the plane, all paid for, I have no debt. I suppose I am just getting tired as I get older, probably because I dont work out enough. The dream would be to nap, day drink, smoke weed, and eat expensive junk food ... but then you get fat and tired and cant fit in the plane, its a real catch 22.

But in all seriousness, I am seeing a shift to the power of the monopsony and peoples entire careers are being flushed down the toilet (we are talking degreed (MS, BS) engineers with over a decade of experience being displaced due to budget cutting measures). Its a sad state of affairs and there really is no way to retaliate other than the political process or we become like Guatamalla where gorrila fighters crop up as law enforecemnt falls apart (I am only being slightly dramatic, the crime rate where I am is sky rocketing and the crimes are becoming more sophisticated). Its easy for the would be libertarian to say well I guess your expertise has went the way of the buggy whip, but has it. I know people who are multi disciplined, when is enough enough to make a living? I am not talking about the guy that did a 2 week course and now needs to do another 4 week course, I am talking about people with degrees in VERY hard topics with alot of experience. Last time I checked we still need power, oil, gas, water, etc but those employers are operating on a skeleton crew and working people HARD by threatening peoples jobs by pointing to the unemployed people ... who they created lol.

I mean we can have the same tired libritarian arguments as a civil war wages right outside my house, oh that must be the people fighting that could not get 3 PhD's, a welding cert and an MD, loosers they could have just got with the program of being a rocket scientist doctor and not had to fight. I mean seriously how far do we take this line of reasoning before we finally say hey this monopoly/monopsony is screwing everyone and it needs to go away?

Old 01-25-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I'm not going to oversimplify it and say the work-work-work, don't get paid well, no benefits, treated like dirt, constant stress of our society is to blame for it entirely, but how many other western nations have as many crazy mass killers and other crime as us?
I don't really compare ourselves to other nations due to the fact I don't live there and I don't know what the media sells.

I do know from people who work for me that have families in Canada and Mexico, that you simply don't want to go to Mexico to visit family. Canada, I've heard nothing bad at all about that country.

People are doing everything they can to come to the USA to live and work. From my area, I've heard no one trying to go north or south.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I don't really compare ourselves to other nations due to the fact I don't live there and I don't know what the media sells.

I do know from people who work for me that have families in Canada and Mexico, that you simply don't want to go to Mexico to visit family. Canada, I've heard nothing bad at all about that country.

People are doing everything they can to come to the USA to live and work. From my area, I've heard no one trying to go north or south.
My in laws moved to Mexico and a co-worker who just retired moved to interior mexico. Granted you don't want to have to work in Mexico because the pay is total crap. But for 100 grand you can live down there for like a decade (so long as you are outside of the hyper touristized areas). There are a lot of people living on the cheap (even if they have to live out of a van) in the USA banking the wages and then going else where because COL in the USA is completely out of control.

In the USA we have the advantage that we can work here in the USA make money and then very easily bring our money to Mexico and live well for a VERY long time where as that same money in the USA you might live 1/10 of that time.

THAT is why people want to get into the USA, to make a lot of money and bring it back, sure some stay but they stay in cheap areas and they will very likely never see the American dream. I know why they come, but I honestly don't know why they stay. Canada is basicly just as bad as the USA in terms of grossly over inflated living costs. Lots of Americans and Canadians in Mexico right now.

Most americans cant afford to retire in the USA, they would have to work until they died because of the real estate costs and taxes. It took these people scraping for 30 years just for a place to take a nap and cook a meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment