Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 12:27 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I think the point is that the rich who have inherited their wealth from their parents often think that they have money because they are such excellent and hard workers. The reality is that they did nothing to earn that money, so they shouldn’t look down on those who use social programs.
Social programs are a thin insulation layer from the rich having a feudal system. When people are desperate and living out of their cars then the rich can more easily exploit. That is why the rich loath the basic income. A basic income puts everyone on an equal negotiating footing. If I am worried about freezing to death its not a negotiation its exploitation.

If I can choose not to get out of bed in the morning until you pay me X then we are negotiating as peers and not from a negative leverage position. If you as the employer think that's too much and automate that's fine, then I have to get some more skills and come back to the table, but it is NEVER from a position of living out of my car if there is basic income and rent control.

That is why the rich hate social programs because if they were to increase it means that people can demand better terms because they wont be on the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 12:51 PM

114 posts, read 93,312 times
Why do C-level executives think they are worth millions in annual compensation?

Old 01-03-2018, 02:10 PM

923 posts, read 527,357 times
Quote:
I think the point is that the rich who have inherited their wealth from their parents often think that they have money because they are such excellent and hard workers. The reality is that they did nothing to earn that money, so they shouldn’t look down on those who use social programs.
Maybe a small percent of people are like that, but everyone I've ever read about or know is complete opposite of what you said.

The problem with most people is that who ever has more than them, didn't earn it; and those who have less haven't worked hard enough to get it.

TV isn't anything but entertainment, Whimsy. Don't think that most haven't earned what they got cause the work ethic was passed on from one generation to another. That's how companies maintain and keep growing.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:41 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,665,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Social programs are a thin insulation layer from the rich having a feudal system. When people are desperate and living out of their cars then the rich can more easily exploit. That is why the rich loath the basic income. A basic income puts everyone on an equal negotiating footing. If I am worried about freezing to death its not a negotiation its exploitation.
What, precisely, do you believe "the rich" stand to gain by "exploiting" people who are desperate and living out of their cars? What value do these poor, desperate, starving people have to be extracted from them? If rich people like to get money from other people via some nefarious mechanism, wouldn't they want everyone else to have money to get?

Old 01-03-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
What, precisely, do you believe "the rich" stand to gain by "exploiting" people who are desperate and living out of their cars? What value do these poor, desperate, starving people have to be extracted from them? If rich people like to get money from other people via some nefarious mechanism, wouldn't they want everyone else to have money to get?
Nope, they want to basically strip mine hidden talent and pay bottom dollar (intellectual property, skilled professionals who are down and out and need work) or general labor that can not yet be automated.

How many instances have you heard of ideas being stolen and patented by others vs the original inventor being the one to become the millionaire? How many mechanics, engineers and other skilled trades are working for cheap because there is so little work? When someone performs high level skilled work that is attached to intellectual property for cheap it is a boon to the capitalist. And be careful before you say, "well I guess those skills are just worthless now", as that is the slippery slope to second world status when no matter what you do you cant make real money and only the capitalists (ie lords/barrons) have the money. When you can no longer convert labor/intellect/skill to capital in a timely manner then we are basically in a feudal system.

This is accomplished by the rich mostly by setting up barriers to entry, both structural and strategic. It makes it hell for the individual engineer/skilled person to actually compete in the market with the big boys because they have already accumulated so much wealth and can make any competitors life miserable.

No the drunk bum who can barely walk is not who we are talking about.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 01-03-2018 at 04:04 PM..

Old 01-03-2018, 03:17 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
Reality is you are prejudice against them, you have not shown that they are NOT hard workers or excellent workers. Whether they have money or not, they still know their jobs and get hired because of their knowledge and skills

Old 01-03-2018, 04:42 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
sure, but the main reason they’ve even had the opportunity to get those jobs in the first place is due to who their parents are. Many think they’ve done it all on their own... but the truth is, they really haven’t. When you have parents who are rich, you naturally have an incredible advantage over those whose parents struggled to keep food on the table. It’s like starting off on third base and thinking you hit a home run and looking back on the poor chumps who started off on home plate and only made it to second and thinking, man, they should work harder so they can get where I am. .

I’m not prejudiced against the rich. I can just see that for those who have large trust funds and who lives in the beat school districts and had private tutors and who went to summer camp every year and attended prep school and had college paid for and had parents who paid the down payment on their homes, they have an advantage that many of them don’t see. Many think, “I started from the bottom and worked my way up,” which is laughable.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Reality is you are prejudice against them, you have not shown that they are NOT hard workers or excellent workers. Whether they have money or not, they still know their jobs and get hired because of their knowledge and skills
No one has issues with someone simply being rich, it is the structural exploitation that is causing the slow shift to nationalism. People are tired of getting paid peanuts while cost of living sky rockets and eventually as has been shown through out history, the society resorts to violence and someone gets to be the scape goat, right wrong or indifferent.

You can put together what ever complex excel spread sheet argument you want but as long as those 2 conditions exist for a large number of people the rich person is going to be at odds with everyone else.

The issue that the rich are trying VERY hard to sweep under the rug is that its not just doped out losers with no skills that are getting a raw deal. It is now people with professional licenses, engineers, highly skilled trades, etc. People don't want to raise their family in a motor home driving around the nation doing your little penny anty gig work just to get a decent hourly rate, sorry. People want to live in single family homes keeping their kids in the same school with their friends and their friends and family. The end results of this situation is not going to be pretty.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
sure, but the main reason they’ve even had the opportunity to get those jobs in the first place is due to who their parents are. Many think they’ve done it all on their own... but the truth is, they really haven’t. When you have parents who are rich, you naturally have an incredible advantage over those whose parents struggled to keep food on the table. It’s like starting off on third base and thinking you hit a home run and looking back on the poor chumps who started off on home plate and only made it to second and thinking, man, they should work harder so they can get where I am. .

I’m not prejudiced against the rich. I can just see that for those who have large trust funds and who lives in the beat school districts and had private tutors and who went to summer camp every year and attended prep school and had college paid for and had parents who paid the down payment on their homes, they have an advantage that many of them don’t see. Many think, “I started from the bottom and worked my way up,” which is laughable.
Another not often thought of dynamic with this is also physiological. The kid with the rich parents can afford to take risks because they have a built in safety net if things don't turn out so well. The poor person if they screw up will literally be on the streets and potentially die if their venture goes awry.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:14 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
^^ good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment