Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2017, 07:25 AM

923 posts, read 527,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This is the dumbest thing I have read in quite some time.
I've seen it first hand many time, sorry to say. I know two people close to me that have college degree's and can't function without someone telling them what to do. One is my brother, in finance, can't even balance his checkbook. Has no idea how to invest and has no grasp on borrow at X% to finance a return of X+%.

Education is important, no doubt, but that doesn't mean that someone will be successful or even be able to contribute anything valuable to a company.

When something is handed to someone for "free"(there is opportunity costs) they tend to not respect it and thus consider it a given. perfect example is people who win the lottery vs earning millions.

Then if it is an even "platform" of college education, then there will be the next step that you must go out and earn to differentiate yourself from "the pack". Masters? Doctorate? Experience? or possibly good common sense.

No doubt it will help a few, but not the majority.

My opinion anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 06:20 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Merry Christmas �� right back at you. It’s all good on tone.

Yes, I do support free public education, and we do it now for K12. In fact, we do it pretty efficiently, as private schools tend to cost more than the public expenditures.

We also subsidize higher ed, although not as much. My personal stance is that it should be free, or close to free, for anybody. Although there would be a cost for this, it would be somewhat moderated by additional economic activity/ earning power
Actually it is not free. Parents pay big bucks to get into the best school districts, which have the highest housing prices. So a lot of money just for the mortgage, even before paying properrty tax.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:18 PM

251 posts, read 237,098 times
I've turned down work for $15 an hour, --it's obscene to be told that what you do is so unimportant you don't deserve to live.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:11 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
I've turned down work for $15 an hour, --it's obscene to be told that what you do is so unimportant you don't deserve to live.
If you work a low wage job, people seem to feel you deserve to be in poverty. How does anyone "deserve" poverty?

Old 12-22-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
If you work a low wage job, people seem to feel you deserve to be in poverty. How does anyone "deserve" poverty?
First statement is simply not true at all. Second statement is true, nobody "deserves" to live in poverty...but many choose to live in poverty.

I've seen it many times with the people who work for me. I pay by the hour, they are paid well(over $16/hr). Two of them are hurting for money, both of those have take more time off in 1 year than I have in the last 7 years combined.
I pay for sick days if they don't use them, also vacation days. If they work, they get paid. I give the option to work every day of the week, I always have work that needs done. They choose not to.
I don't feel sorry for them, they put themselves in this position. Isn't due to lack of pay, it's total lack of motivation and putting R&R first over paying bills.

Do they "deserve" poverty, not at all. Did they choose that lifestyle, yes they did.

Old 12-22-2017, 10:20 AM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
I understand what you're saying, but I have to disagree. By using the word "choose" in relation to the example, you are indeed saying they deserve the poverty they get. And are you sure they're choosing? They don't have a child home sick or need to attend to an elderly parent? Or are they just dumb 20-somethings like I was before I came to my senses and realized today isn't the only day out there?

I was really talking about the people who actually do think others deserve their poverty simply because they were meant to live that way, like the way some Indians believe we were all born to our caste, regardless of circumstance or choice. But if you keep saying that often enough to some people, they do start to believe it, even if they do have the circumstances to work their way up. It's as much a mental thing as it is a circumstantial thing.

It's what I keep saying about the homeless: People will rise to expectation. If a person expects the homeless to always be drug addicts, drunks, and losers, and the homeless know this, they will rise to that expectation. As I said before, it's really hard to think positive of yourself when someone sees you at your down point and that someone still thinks you're trash, that you're there because of your choices, and because you've made those choices, you don't deserve any better.

Seriously, I think the only way to understand what I'm saying is to dress down some day and go hang out on the sidewalk or the park and see how the world perceives you. Walk into a McDonald's and pay for a hamburger with nickles and pennies. Get a coffee at 7-11 and sit outside the store a while. Look scroungy, look beat down. Think about where you're going to go to the bathroom or where you can find water to drink, or a place to toss your trash. Then come back and tell me how you feel.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but I have to disagree. By using the word "choose" in relation to the example, you are indeed saying they deserve the poverty they get. And are you sure they're choosing? They don't have a child home sick or need to attend to an elderly parent? Or are they just dumb 20-somethings like I was before I came to my senses and realized today isn't the only day out there?

I was really talking about the people who actually do think others deserve their poverty simply because they were meant to live that way, like the way some Indians believe we were all born to our caste, regardless of circumstance or choice. But if you keep saying that often enough to some people, they do start to believe it, even if they do have the circumstances to work their way up. It's as much a mental thing as it is a circumstantial thing.

It's what I keep saying about the homeless: People will rise to expectation. If a person expects the homeless to always be drug addicts, drunks, and losers, and the homeless know this, they will rise to that expectation. As I said before, it's really hard to think positive of yourself when someone sees you at your down point and that someone still thinks you're trash, that you're there because of your choices, and because you've made those choices, you don't deserve any better.

Seriously, I think the only way to understand what I'm saying is to dress down some day and go hang out on the sidewalk or the park and see how the world perceives you. Walk into a McDonald's and pay for a hamburger with nickles and pennies. Get a coffee at 7-11 and sit outside the store a while. Look scroungy, look beat down. Think about where you're going to go to the bathroom or where you can find water to drink, or a place to toss your trash. Then come back and tell me how you feel.
Funny you mention all that. I farm, I have 2 pairs of wranglers that don't have holes in them(for church and special events). I have either snap long sleeve shirts(western) or sweatshirts, both have holes in elbows or at cuffs. Old cowboy boots and a hat that has seen better days. Some cheap $2 t-shirts, and nice button up shirts I got as gifts that I wear with good jeans.
I've paid for take out pizza with quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies(and I tip min 20%). I don't drink coffee, just water and cheap beer. I don't hang out on the street cause I have work to do. My employee's have nicer vehicles than I do, and newer.

I'm frugal towards myself, spend money on my kids. Most meals are cooked at home, rarely do I eat out, except for pizza when I get home late.(12am-2am) I'm frugal cause I've had to live that way for some time. Lived a few years on $0.20 ramen, minute rice, and offal/cheap cuts of meat. That experience taught me so much.

If I'm not busy on the farm and the kids are with their mom, I have an afternoon of work I can do for others for pay.

I've paid for Christmas gifts for everyone by doing odd jobs at night since Thanksgiving.
I've been at the bottom where I've lived in a shed, slept on a cot, and showered by using a garden hose.

I don't expect anyone to do anything that I haven't already done myself.

How do I feel, you ask? I'm humble, I'm proud, and I thank God for everything He has done for me.

Long story short, BTDT...couldn't afford to by the shirt.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:25 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
it isnt that working a low wage job means poverty, it is that the person stays at the low wage job ends up in poverty

no one lives in poverty by working a low end job for a few years, they are broke for the time being and have no money, once they learn what they need and move on, they are no longer broke. poverty is when they do not make the choice to move on, for whatever reason, they end up broke for life, and that is poverty

no clue why people seem to think being stuck at a low end job is common. even in high school, I got promoted for showing up on time, doing my job without an attitude and not stealing, three things that anyone can do...

even when I left the job, I got good references because management liked me, that I could go to a better job elsewhere

wrangler star puts it in better words than me
https://youtu.be/i-RossLMK7w

Old 12-23-2017, 11:28 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
If I have to pay $15 for a burger and fries then I expect the person making it to be earning at least $15/hr.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:27 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,276,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it isnt that working a low wage job means poverty, it is that the person stays at the low wage job ends up in poverty

no one lives in poverty by working a low end job for a few years, they are broke for the time being and have no money, once they learn what they need and move on, they are no longer broke. poverty is when they do not make the choice to move on, for whatever reason, they end up broke for life, and that is poverty

no clue why people seem to think being stuck at a low end job is common. even in high school, I got promoted for showing up on time, doing my job without an attitude and not stealing, three things that anyone can do...

even when I left the job, I got good references because management liked me, that I could go to a better job elsewhere

wrangler star puts it in better words than me
https://youtu.be/i-RossLMK7w
You do know that not everyone can get put of a low wage some people have a limited iq and a low wage job is all they can do plus even if every could move up their is no where enough better paying jobs for everyone. I doubt you respond to this because you just seem to care about replying over and over with Right Wing talking points you have no interest in actual conversations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment