Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2017, 09:21 PM

13,282 posts, read 7,330,443 times

Advertisements

Most of the time to get promoted, or raises I find all you have to do is show little more effort then most people you work with. Lot of people I work with come to work and are told what to do and then go home if they notices something that needs to be fixed they ignore it until the manager asked for it to be fixed. We also have the workaholics they don't really get more promotions then I do I almost never work long hours or from home after work. Lot of times no one even knows what they are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 11:12 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
some people have a limited iq and a low wage job
that's your excuse?

a low IQ does not determine what a person is capable of doing... if they can work fast food, they can damn sure work their way up

if they are inept/unskilled, they wouldn't even make it in a low wage job, because they would be fired before the week was over

Old 12-24-2017, 02:45 AM

7,026 posts, read 4,903,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it isnt that working a low wage job means poverty, it is that the person stays at the low wage job ends up in poverty

no one lives in poverty by working a low end job for a few years, they are broke for the time being and have no money, once they learn what they need and move on, they are no longer broke. poverty is when they do not make the choice to move on, for whatever reason, they end up broke for life, and that is poverty

no clue why people seem to think being stuck at a low end job is common. even in high school, I got promoted for showing up on time, doing my job without an attitude and not stealing, three things that anyone can do...

even when I left the job, I got good references because management liked me, that I could go to a better job elsewhere

wrangler star puts it in better words than me
https://youtu.be/i-RossLMK7w
And some people who make low wages actually like their jobs and would prefer to stay at them. Is there something wrong with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Funny you mention all that. I farm, I have 2 pairs of wranglers that don't have holes in them(for church and special events). I have either snap long sleeve shirts(western) or sweatshirts, both have holes in elbows or at cuffs. Old cowboy boots and a hat that has seen better days. Some cheap $2 t-shirts, and nice button up shirts I got as gifts that I wear with good jeans.
I've paid for take out pizza with quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies(and I tip min 20%). I don't drink coffee, just water and cheap beer. I don't hang out on the street cause I have work to do. My employee's have nicer vehicles than I do, and newer.

I'm frugal towards myself, spend money on my kids. Most meals are cooked at home, rarely do I eat out, except for pizza when I get home late.(12am-2am) I'm frugal cause I've had to live that way for some time. Lived a few years on $0.20 ramen, minute rice, and offal/cheap cuts of meat. That experience taught me so much.

If I'm not busy on the farm and the kids are with their mom, I have an afternoon of work I can do for others for pay.

I've paid for Christmas gifts for everyone by doing odd jobs at night since Thanksgiving.
I've been at the bottom where I've lived in a shed, slept on a cot, and showered by using a garden hose.

I don't expect anyone to do anything that I haven't already done myself.

How do I feel, you ask? I'm humble, I'm proud, and I thank God for everything He has done for me.

Long story short, BTDT...couldn't afford to by the shirt.
I didn't mean anything about what you were or what you wear, but just to imagine how people judge you for it.

Meantime, I'm still also wearing pants with holes in them (but not the pair with the hole in the seat and I'm wondering how long that was there before I saw it ) and I still haven't gotten around to buying a new pair of shoes even if I can afford it now. So tomorrow I'm going over to a Christmas get together with the shoes that have a hole in the toe. *sigh* Ah, well. They're friends and they know me.

And it's funny, you and I are probably more alike than we think. I started doing home cooking so I could get by on a month of food stamps and by the end of next summer I'll probably be living in a shed and using a garden hose for a shower myself. But that will be to save money for the first time in my life, and the reason is to be able to put a small house on some land with most of it paid for. So that's a good thing.

Have a good Christmas Eve and a happy Christmas Day!

Old 12-24-2017, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And some people who make low wages actually like their jobs and would prefer to stay at them. Is there something wrong with that?
if they choose to stay there, then they have no excuse to say they are low paid...

Old 12-24-2017, 03:15 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,276,328 times
Quote:
that's your excuse?

a low IQ does not determine what a person is capable of doing... if they can work fast food, they can damn sure work their way up

if they are inept/unskilled, they wouldn't even make it in a low wage job, because they would be fired before the week was over
That logic makes no sense at all. Working at fast food has nothing to do if they can work their way up. How is a person who has a low IQ make important intelligent decisions that higher positions demand? Wait do not you and other people like say these jobs are unskilled and anyone can do them make up your mind.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
How is a person who has a low IQ make important intelligent decisions
same way a person with high it makes the decision... it is not a measure of how smart someone is

or does a low iq to you mean a person is retarded?

Old 12-24-2017, 07:32 AM

923 posts, read 527,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

I didn't mean anything about what you were or what you wear, but just to imagine how people judge you for it.

Meantime, I'm still also wearing pants with holes in them (but not the pair with the hole in the seat and I'm wondering how long that was there before I saw it ) and I still haven't gotten around to buying a new pair of shoes even if I can afford it now. So tomorrow I'm going over to a Christmas get together with the shoes that have a hole in the toe. *sigh* Ah, well. They're friends and they know me.

And it's funny, you and I are probably more alike than we think. I started doing home cooking so I could get by on a month of food stamps and by the end of next summer I'll probably be living in a shed and using a garden hose for a shower myself. But that will be to save money for the first time in my life, and the reason is to be able to put a small house on some land with most of it paid for. So that's a good thing.

Have a good Christmas Eve and a happy Christmas Day!
HAHAHAHAHA! I know exactly what you mean by finding a hole in jeans or shirts. Been caught by my daughter and an employee before. I just thought, wth, I'm not going commando so it's not a big deal. lol

To help shoes last a bit longer, I've used Shoe Goo and cereal box lids/sides to put in boots. And of course grey tape.

I wish you the very best, RodentRaiser!(btw, i used to raise hedgehogs for extra $$$) Have a very Merry Christmas! Head up, be proud, and stay strong.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:20 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
If I were still consulting (in a consultancy), it would not be uncommon for my work to be billed at $150-$200 an hour. The rates varies based on size of projuct and the size of the consultancy. As a standard employee, I do not get that much.

I could charge about that if I went out on my own, but I really don’t have the head space to be a consultant right now.

My role can add a lot of value for a company, and would be worth the expense. My job is to help the marketing department get more efficient and understand the impact of their efforts. If I can advise in what to spend, what not to spend, and what gives you the most ROI, the bottom line impact is huge.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:49 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,934 times
Quote:
same way a person with high it makes the decision... it is not a measure of how smart someone is

or does a low iq to you mean a person is retarded?
This does touch upon an important point... vast majority of the population won't really be capable of anything more than the mundane. If you want to enact a "survival of the fittest" mantra to that, it may not be THAT cruel. However, it's still an issue that those who want to work hard, do so, and are otherwise good people, are none of the less doomed.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:01 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,251,672 times
i think it's less about how little people are worth below $50/hr wages.

It would be far better (more stimulative) for all the lower wages to rise a bit with a corresponding lowering of people at the higher end of the pay scale.

$500k base pay and above and Bonuses over $500k should be cut/limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment