Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,111,524 times

Advertisements

The average American produces something like $70/hr. They are paid about a third of that. Obviously that varies by profession and job but sharing more of the wealth with employees and not just shareholders would help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 12:02 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
No, actually Walmart pays its workers. If the workers did not have jobs they would need even more public assistance. If the workers could get higher paying jobs then the ones they have at Walmart, they would.

Reasoning 101
Jobs like wal mart are undignified. It would be nice if employers like wal mart did not even exist and people were forced to develop actual skills or suffer the consequences.

there is nothing more infuriating than being told to take a wal mart job, I would rather be homeless or live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere off the land.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:01 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Jobs like wal mart are undignified. It would be nice if employers like wal mart did not even exist and people were forced to develop actual skills or suffer the consequences.

there is nothing more infuriating than being told to take a wal mart job, I would rather be homeless or live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere off the land.

Of course it would be nice if everyone could be a plumber, or an engineer. But do you think there are enough skilled jobs to go around? Thank goodness places like Walmart exist to employ the people who can't get one of those "skilled" job for one reason or another. I consider Walmart the replacement for all the factory type jobs of yesteryear.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:47 AM

923 posts, read 527,357 times
Quote:

Undignified? How can you even say that about someone? Your head is still up in the clouds in a WW1 bi-plane.
Joking aside, really those jobs are important to people. I know a few younger people that work there and a few "retired" people who work there. They are all happy and appreciative of the opportunity. I am talking local, and I don't talk to everyone so take it for what it's worth.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:18 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,555,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Of course it would be nice if everyone could be a plumber, or an engineer. But do you think there are enough skilled jobs to go around? Thank goodness places like Walmart exist to employ the people who can't get one of those "skilled" job for one reason or another. I consider Walmart the replacement for all the factory type jobs of yesteryear.
A lot of those factory jobs of yesteryear paid good wages and offered good benefits thanks to collective bargaining. So it's not the same.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Undignified? How can you even say that about someone? Your head is still up in the clouds in a WW1 bi-plane.
Joking aside, really those jobs are important to people. I know a few younger people that work there and a few "retired" people who work there. They are all happy and appreciative of the opportunity. I am talking local, and I don't talk to everyone so take it for what it's worth.
There was always enough little locally owned burger shops for high schoolers to work at and those were good jobs. Wal Mart is a sterile, institutional box store, its like walking into the book 1984, everyone looks medicated and sad. There is no character, color, nothing, that place is devoid of life. Same with Sams club.

I go there once in a blue moon because it is attached to a bank branch I use.

The people are not undignified the job is, the fact that people are put into positions were they are forced to take these sorts of jobs desecrates human dignity. I understand there are low IQ people or mentally challenged, etc. I just think we can do better than the medicated sterile environment of wal mart.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:17 PM

639 posts, read 376,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
It's not "you" that's worth a specific dollar amount; it's the job that you're doing.

I bill out between $50 and $100 per hour depending on the specific job, and I don't have a lot of overhead. What I do takes considerably less effort and less education than many, many jobs that pay substantially less per hour. I'm "worth" whatever the market will bear. So are you. And so are burger-flippers. Maybe the market will bear $15, maybe not. We'll see.

It's pretty simple math.. If the entry-level McDonald's worker is getting $15 an hour, then McDonalds can do one of two things to adjust:

1) raise the price of products being sold. The dollar menu would become the 3 dollar menu

or

2) eliminate positions by making other employees do more or replace with technology.

Either way it doesn't really solve the problem.

In our country, the problem is payment for skilled positions not unskilled IMO. The "market rate" is often set by these large corporations/franchises anymore.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
It's pretty simple math.. If the entry-level McDonald's worker is getting $15 an hour, then McDonalds can do one of two things to adjust:

1) raise the price of products being sold. The dollar menu would become the 3 dollar menu

or

2) eliminate positions by making other employees do more or replace with technology.

Either way it doesn't really solve the problem.

In our country, the problem is payment for skilled positions not unskilled IMO. The "market rate" is often set by these large corporations/franchises anymore.
I am less worried about unskilled people. I think skilled people need to start setting themselves up financially so that they dont have to take low ball offers and can unofficailly start their own cartels. Typically there are not a ton of highly skilled people in any given technical field, the problem is companies seem to be able to find just enough skilled people to take their crappy offer because they had too many kids, have a spouse with a spending problem, they have a spending problem, bought too big of a house, etc, etc. This screws everyone in the profession because now the company thinks they can get people to do a whole host of undesirable things for marginal pay (moving to undesirable areas, doing rotation work, working OT, doing gig work, etc).

When companies start learning that highly skilled people are going to basicly write their own employment contracts and you as the company are going to like it or we walk thats a good thing. The only way this can be done is if skilled people have more assets than liabilities.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:34 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
There was always enough little locally owned burger shops for high schoolers to work at and those were good job.
not after they raised minimum wage to $15

each time they increase minimum wage, small businesses go under at a higher %

they want higher minimum wage, they have to put up with corporate structures

Old 01-17-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
not after they raised minimum wage to $15

each time they increase minimum wage, small businesses go under at a higher %

they want higher minimum wage, they have to put up with corporate structures
Thats not what put small buisness under. People would not need these jobs to pay what they do if the gap between the next rung was not 40' wide. Would you make a ladder where after the 3rd rung the next step was 20' away.

Thats the way todays market works, oh thats nice you had your mcjob in high school. You want a real middle class income now, its time to become a rocket scientist surgeon entrepreneur with 20 years experience.

Oh you dont have that after you graduated high school, oh man that sucks. Well I guess you can work at best buy and live in your moms basement until you invent cold fusion or start a company like amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment