Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 AM

923 posts, read 527,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Another not often thought of dynamic with this is also physiological. The kid with the rich parents can afford to take risks because they have a built in safety net if things don't turn out so well. The poor person if they screw up will literally be on the streets and potentially die if their venture goes awry.
Your assuming that rich parents cover their kids' butts. Not true, I've known far more who make their kids learn on their own than to cover their arse. At most the parents will co-sign on a note when the kids are young or haven't built up enough credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 01:42 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Your assuming that rich parents cover their kids' butts. Not true, I've known far more who make their kids learn on their own than to cover their arse. At most the parents will co-sign on a note when the kids are young or haven't built up enough credit.
I would wager money that it was extremely rare for a rich parent to allow their child to die on the streets because of a failed start up. I am not talking about making their BMW payment for them, I am talking about the lowest common denominator. Kids with parents of means have a much higher lowest common denominator (other than in VERY rare instances where the parents have disowned the kids for some reason).

If I did not have to worry about being on the street or not having the resources to get out of the USA I would most certainly take more risks and riskier risks at that. However the idea of freezing to death of exposure does not sound to nice.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:28 PM

923 posts, read 527,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I would wager money that it was extremely rare for a rich parent to allow their child to die on the streets because of a failed start up. I am not talking about making their BMW payment for them, I am talking about the lowest common denominator. Kids with parents of means have a much higher lowest common denominator (other than in VERY rare instances where the parents have disowned the kids for some reason).

If I did not have to worry about being on the street or not having the resources to get out of the USA I would most certainly take more risks and riskier risks at that. However the idea of freezing to death of exposure does not sound to nice.
Your talking extremes. That doesn't make a good argument as I could go to extremes opposite of yours. In the end, it's just total BS on both sides.

Lets talk in real terms. What is the common denominator? Money? Time? Effort? Skill?

I'll put my money on someone with effort over anything else. I've seen it with rich and poor kids. Parents didn't help either one of those kids.

When people worry about where MW is, they are looking at the bottom and are looking more for a ride than to excel.
I have a group of 10 people who are ready to go to the east coast when the storm hits. They found a place to live, I'm paying for plane tickets to get them there. They will pay me back when they get here. They keep all the money they make.

Four of them have parents who make 10X what I make, they all have ambition to make money where they can to save money and provide for their family.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:32 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
Your talking extremes. That doesn't make a good argument as I could go to extremes opposite of yours. In the end, it's just total BS on both sides.

Lets talk in real terms. What is the common denominator? Money? Time? Effort? Skill?

I'll put my money on someone with effort over anything else. I've seen it with rich and poor kids. Parents didn't help either one of those kids.

When people worry about where MW is, they are looking at the bottom and are looking more for a ride than to excel.
I have a group of 10 people who are ready to go to the east coast when the storm hits. They found a place to live, I'm paying for plane tickets to get them there. They will pay me back when they get here. They keep all the money they make.

Four of them have parents who make 10X what I make, they all have ambition to make money where they can to save money and provide for their family.
Poor people have to worry about extremes and thats why they are more apprehensive about spending 10 grand on a start up and continue to work for you. If they had a nice cushy fall back at home why would I leave my family behind to go who knows where for how ever long?

It boils down to leverage and how much of a safety net someone has. Just like I dont go to crap holes and live in dirty man camps away from my wife because I have a bit of a safety net. Someone who was one lay off away from loosing their family and being on the streets would have to play ball.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:20 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,276,328 times
I do not think it is people think they are worth $15 it is that people if they work a full time job should not be in poverty and have to rely on public assistance to survive. Maybe that is $15 maybe less then that I think $15 is a number they picked as what you would have to make in the most expensive places to live.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:48 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just hanging out View Post
At minimum?

I'm curious.
If minimum wage was raised by $5 (which is about 50% what it is now), what about all those who are making $15 an hour now with college degrees in entry level specialized positions? They won't get a $7.50/hour raise. They will be making the same as those in positions that do not require special skills or education. Is this fair?
I'm very open to hearing differing opinions without getting into an argument.

What do you think YOU'RE worth?
I'd like this to be an open discussion with no attacks or party-blaming (dems/reps)

In the current economy at about $9-10 an hour as minimum wage, I'd say I'm probably worth $21 an hour.. With a specialized masters and a license to practice therapy. Second year out of school.
When you figure it out you'll realize there is no honest discussion when the guilty party cannot be identified. So why pretend?

Old 01-08-2018, 06:26 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I do not think it is people think they are worth $15 it is that people if they work a full time job should not be in poverty and have to rely on public assistance to survive. Maybe that is $15 maybe less then that I think $15 is a number they picked as what you would have to make in the most expensive places to live.

The conservative elements defend the low wage employers yet at the same token are basically paying for all their workers public assistance. I think Walmart alone costs the taxpayer billions in welfare payouts. It's a shame really.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:04 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
again, first define what lifestyle they should have....

every time someone posts working full time and minimum wage, they somehow think they should have a good middle class lifestyle for the full time work? even though they are working a minimum wage job?

they should be realistic to themselves, they either give up middle class and stick to minimum wage, or get themselves out of minimum wage to get into middle class

you can't have both, they are mutually exclusive of each other, middle class and minimum wage

you seem to fail to recognize this fact. it does not matter what you make minimum wage, $100/hr, they will never be middle class lifestyle because the economy adjusts to the minimum wage and those workers are still at the bottom

what's that saying? you can dress something up pretty, but it doesn't change what it is? dress minimum wage workers as pretty as you want, saying full time work, saying entitled to whatever, but at the end of the day, they are minimum wage workers. until you change that, their lives won't change

$15 is the number they "picked" based on their "current" bills and expenses when minimum wage is at $7.25, they fail to account for what actually happens when you raise minimum wage.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:08 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,924,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I think Walmart alone costs the taxpayer billions in welfare payouts. It's a shame really.
No, actually Walmart pays its workers. If the workers did not have jobs they would need even more public assistance. If the workers could get higher paying jobs then the ones they have at Walmart, they would.

Reasoning 101

Old 01-15-2018, 02:49 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,934 times
Heh... episode of S.W.A.T. had a guard working for 6 months when a riot broke out. The young guy gets $11 an hour, and NO training whatsoever in a private prison to deal with all of that. He's thinking he shouldn't have left his previous job sacking groceries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
again, first define what lifestyle they should have....

every time someone posts working full time and minimum wage, they somehow think they should have a good middle class lifestyle for the full time work? even though they are working a minimum wage job?

they should be realistic to themselves, they either give up middle class and stick to minimum wage, or get themselves out of minimum wage to get into middle class

you can't have both, they are mutually exclusive of each other, middle class and minimum wage

you seem to fail to recognize this fact. it does not matter what you make minimum wage, $100/hr, they will never be middle class lifestyle because the economy adjusts to the minimum wage and those workers are still at the bottom

what's that saying? you can dress something up pretty, but it doesn't change what it is? dress minimum wage workers as pretty as you want, saying full time work, saying entitled to whatever, but at the end of the day, they are minimum wage workers. until you change that, their lives won't change

$15 is the number they "picked" based on their "current" bills and expenses when minimum wage is at $7.25, they fail to account for what actually happens when you raise minimum wage.
So let's lower the MW so that all other costs can return to normal

Prices are going up anyways. MW should follow suit.
If they're struggling to pay rent in a low class neighborhood and ramen noodles, then it should be something above that.

It was never about buying the newest iPhone X, Gucci bag, whatever luxury item you broadly paint the working class as all the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment