Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 08:20 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times

Advertisements

One of the reasons why I'm glad I'm not a office professional type worker. No "secret santa", no parties. no after hour cocktail events. Just clock in and clock out and go home. And if the co-workers don't like you they can take a hike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 09:21 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
After reading through, it appears that "Secret Santa" just doesn't work for many reasons and something should be done instead, as mentioned. It doesn't seem enjoyable for most and defeats the whole idea of gift-giving. If anything, the "give and take" game could be played by those who want to be involved with bringing a generic, wrapped gift that doesn't need to be expensive, but useful.. could set a price . Those who don't want to play can just watch.

This made me think also of the pot-luck situations, while some would prepare casseroles and desserts, another would supply a bag of chips. There were decisions to have a spontaneous pot-luck near a holiday. (I don't think many like to prepare thanksgiving stuff for work then again on Thanksgiving, too). Also, the office staff having to be involved in gifts for a coworker's shower and wedding. When there were was a lot of this going on, it became just too much. (This was years ago, I don't know what goes on with that nowadays). As I say, just glad I am not involved in that anymore.
I had a co-worker that was cheaper than your co-worker who would bring in a bag of chips. She bought in an inexpensive set of silverware. So for every pot luck she would supply the silverware. The cleanup group would wash it, she would store it in her desk drawer, and the next potluck she would "contribute" the silverware. This went on for several years.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-10-2017 at 09:38 AM..

Old 12-10-2017, 09:28 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I had a co-worker that was cheaper than your co-worker who would bring in a bag a chips. She bought in an inexpensive set of silverware. So for every pot luck she would supply the silverware. The cleanup group would wash it, she would store it in her desk drawer, and the next potluck she would "contribute" the silverware. This went on for several years.
Maybe she was an environmentalist and didn't want to throw away plastic

Old 12-10-2017, 09:33 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,965,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I realize Secret Santa is something that most people loathe, but my office generally enjoys it and people get each other nice stuff. The limit is 20 bux or so. Today I found my gift at my desk and it was...

a candy cane

a CANDY CANE!

I thought it was one person, who it turned out not being... I was complaining (in a joking way) to a number of other coworkers without realizing the person who was my secret santa was in earshot. Then another person told me that when I was at lunch everyone in my area was talking about upset I was with my gift. Am I being a brat? To be fair, most years my work secret santa gift is the ONLY gift I get because I don't have a family (they are all dead and everyone I work with knows this) and my friends are poor and don't live near me.

I feel bad the person found out that I was complaining and saying what a crappy gift that was. A candy cane. A CANDY CANE! I even went online and looked up this candy cane and they cost 2 dollars. I was offended and even worse I feel bad I complained so much about it, but them i'm like how rude of a gift. Why bother participating (it's not mandatory and it's not even suggested). Over the years I have gotten so many great amazing things that I cherished, but this year i'm just angry about it. Moreso sad I guess.

Anyone else get a crappy secret santa gift this year?
laugh it off and move on.
work life isn't to be taken seriously.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:51 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
I had a co-worker that was cheaper than your co-worker who would bring in a bag of chips. She bought in an inexpensive set of silverware. So for every pot luck she would supply the silverware. The cleanup group would wash it, she would store it in her desk drawer, and the next potluck she would "contribute" the silverware. This went on for several years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Maybe she was an environmentalist and didn't want to throw away plastic
In that case she should have donated the set of silverware and left it in the break room kitchen and started to bring actual food to share with others to the potlucks that were held once a month.

She was just cheap.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:24 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
Quote:
I would call that frugal

Old 12-10-2017, 01:24 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times
lol don't me started on potlucks and people who will pick up a bag of store bought chips last minute because they want to taste all the homemade dishes everyone made and brought in to participate. When there's five homemade dishes and seven bags of Stacy's Pita Chips :/....

Old 12-10-2017, 02:55 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,893,771 times
Quote:
lol don't me started on potlucks and people who will pick up a bag of store bought chips last minute because they want to taste all the homemade dishes everyone made and brought in to participate. When there's five homemade dishes and seven bags of Stacy's Pita Chips :/....
Some people are busy....or bad cooks. Isnt the nature of a pot luck to all come together and share a meal, not to have to prove something?

Old 12-10-2017, 03:21 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Quote:
lol don't me started on potlucks and people who will pick up a bag of store bought chips last minute because they want to taste all the homemade dishes eveone made and brought in to participate. When there's five homemade dishes and seven bags of Stacy's Pita Chips :/....
If Wolfgang Puck himself catered the potluck, you would find something to complain about.

And we pass around a list to avoid having the same dishes.

Instead of complaining, why don't you suggest that they pass around a list?

Or do you just like to complain?

Old 12-10-2017, 04:44 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,257 times
quote:
Some people are busy....or bad cooks. Isnt the nature of a pot luck to all come together and share a meal, not to have to prove something?

busy cooks and bad cooks have no right to participate in potlucks then. what's the point?

I realize I come across as a terrible person thinking this, but really... it's other worse people who are worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment