Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 03:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i honestly dont know anybody over the age of 22 that makes minimum wages, you can take a 40 class on safety on the internet that would qualify you as a safety technician and they pay about $17 a hour, you can dig ditches as a plumber helper for $15, or even one of those utilities line locators pay more than minimum
I know tons of older adults who work in fast food or at Wal Mart. And they aren't old, retired folks just doing it for extra money or to get out of the house. They are in their 30s and 40s; supporting families. But like you said, they could do something else for slightly more money. There are lots of jobs in the area where I live. I think they have just grown dependent on fast food jobs and don't want to learn new skills.

I think fast food places stopped hiring teenagers, that's when their problems started. They started hiring older workers who demanded $15 an hour, because they are supporting families. These places would have been smart to stick with hiring kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 04:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
One can easily get the experience by being an intern, during college.

Right now, my office has about 2 dozen doing just that. We happen to pay them a wage, some corps do not pay them, but the value for them is less the wage , and more the experience.
Sure but other companies do ask for 2+ year experience and 3+ year specific experience on top of the degree for "entry level work." You know that is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I know tons of older adults who work in fast food or at Wal Mart. And they aren't old, retired folks just doing it for extra money or to get out of the house. They are in their 30s and 40s; supporting families. But like you said, they could do something else for slightly more money. There are lots of jobs in the area where I live. I think they have just grown dependent on fast food jobs and don't want to learn new skills.

I think fast food places stopped hiring teenagers, that's when their problems started. They started hiring older workers who demanded $15 an hour, because they are supporting families. These places would have been smart to stick with hiring kids.
And part of that is due to increasing costs to college for re-training. I am not sure when it was that we saw fewer and fewer high school students working McJobs, BUT once they did they were replaced by college students and the older workers. A number by me are the typical Walmart worker age. Why, because their schedule is mostly flexible. People forget the earliest we can get high schoolers in is about 2:30/3:00 on most days. Maybe an hour earlier for seniors. That is after the lunch rush is done and breakfasts were done long ago.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:16 PM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Sure but other companies do ask for 2+ year experience and 3+ year specific experience on top of the degree for "entry level work." You know that is true.

not for interns.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:40 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,230,714 times
Quote:
One can easily get the experience by being an intern, during college.
The problem is that if the intern doesn't transition into a full time job from that internship, they become totally unqualified for an entry level position.

An entry level position that requires 2-3 years experience is not satisfied with one 6 month internship.

Internships are a crap shoot at best.

Quote:
not for interns.
Intern wanted

Not really. There are plenty of internships that require experience.

In addition, internships cannot be obtained by recent grads and career changers.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:10 PM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

Intern wanted

Not really. There are plenty of internships that require experience.

In addition, internships cannot be obtained by recent grads and career changers.
nonsense, many interns of ours are recent grads.

2 transitioned with us to next level jobs, so far.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
nonsense, many interns of ours are recent grads.
Then your organization is in a tiny minority. I haven't seen an internship for recent grads or career changes in ages (and I'm trying to do a career change).

Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Then your organization is in a tiny minority. I haven't seen an internship for recent grads or career changes in ages (and I'm trying to do a career change).
It is less common because of better or worse of the intern lawsuits where people are not paid for work that could be paid for. While in college, it is easier to go unpaid though it is getting rarer due to the fine lines established in the post-recession exploitation of interns.

The fact is, we will see far too many people lose jobs due to automation over the next decade or so for the current economy to not have a sizable contraction. Simply put, there wont be enough replacement jobs and if today's job market (while better than a few years ago) is any indication of things to come, there will be far too many under-qualified with no way to become qualified for the new jobs.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
there will be far too many under-qualified with no way to become qualified for the new jobs.
Because there are no jobs that require no experience. Both recent grads and career changers get hit by the catch-22. Employers don't count a career changer's previous experience in a previous role. Apparently, they believe that a career changer who rocked at their old role, will learn something new (do well in school, certifications) and become a blithering idiot in the new role. Employers don't value people who are adaptable.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:53 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Quote:
Because there are no jobs that require no experience. Both recent grads and career changers get hit by the catch-22. Employers don't count a career changer's previous experience in a previous role. Apparently, they believe that a career changer who rocked at their old role, will learn something new (do well in school, certifications) and become a blithering idiot in the new role. Employers don't value people who are adaptable.
Well everyone had no experience at one time, so by your logic no one has a job. see a problem with your logic?

Old 06-18-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Well everyone had no experience at one time, so by your logic no one has a job. see a problem with your logic?
Those who currently have jobs found an employer who took the risk at hiring them when they had zero experience. It was pure luck. 100% chance.

That's the problem.

Now, bring a solution to the problem instead of snark. How do you expect people to get around the catch-22 of no job, no experience; no experience, no job?

or are people only supposed to get a job through luck with zero reliance on skillset?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment