Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 06:13 PM

30,169 posts, read 11,809,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritbear928 View Post
McDonalds problem IS that it tried to reinvent itself as a Starbucksish trendy hipstery place. McCafe, redesigned locations, and of course much higher prices.

You have to download the McDonalds app. That is the only way to go. Sometimes they have $1 Big Macs and buy one get one free assorted burgers. Free fry fridays where you spend $1 on say a coke and a med or large fries is free. Its easily half price every time you go there. And if you do the questionnaire on the receipt its two for one egg mcmuffins or two for one quarter pounders. There was a while near me where they had a sausage biscuit and hash browns for $1.50. The app had a free premium coffee like a latte free with any $1 or more purchase. So I would get all of it for $1.50. I low carb most of the time now so I can't do that one.

I would never pay menu price at McDonald's. And it's not necessary. The whole point is the raised the menu price to push people to app ordering. One day these deals may go away but take advantage of the deals now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 07:05 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,533,863 times
I went to a McDonalds with the kiosk and table service a few months ago. It was a TERRIBLE experiince. The place was not crowded but it took 10 minuntes to get our food. Then, they forgot something and it was an ordeal to get someone to fix it since there was only one person servicing the counter. Total fail, never again.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:29 PM

24,642 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
I went to a McDonalds with the kiosk and table service a few months ago. It was a TERRIBLE experiince. The place was not crowded but it took 10 minuntes to get our food. Then, they forgot something and it was an ordeal to get someone to fix it since there was only one person servicing the counter. Total fail, never again.

Good, you shouldn't be eating fast food anyway.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:30 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Did you ever work in a factory? Cogs and wheels always. To think work policy towards employees is in some way worse today than in the past is incorrect.

What do people complain about here? Only getting two weeks vacation when you first start. Limited sick leave. And on and on.

In the past you had to work X number of years to even earn one week of vacation. Sick days? What were those?
I'm sorry, are you referring to a Charles Dickens novel? My father hired in at Ford in 1958 and always had vacation and sick days. The same with my grandfather who hired in at Goodyear in 1947.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:40 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The "normal" size serving of meat for an adult is 4oz. Americans are pigs.
No, that is the - STANDARD - serving size to allow comparison of nutrition facts between different meat products. There is no "International Bureau of Determining Serving Sizes for All People of the World" to dictate what we should 'normally' eat as a species.

The 'serving size' of Kellogg's Corn Flakes is 1 oz. Does anyone feel that 1 ounce of food is somehow a meal? It is just a number pulled out of the air for ease of use.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:41 AM

45,414 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I'm sorry, are you referring to a Charles Dickens novel? My father hired in at Ford in 1958 and always had vacation and sick days. The same with my grandfather who hired in at Goodyear in 1947.
Don't be sorry.

I also worked in a union factory, although 15 or so years later than your father.

You might need to check with your father, if you can, about vacation accrual. Ours was none until you'd worked a year when it was one week. You then got two weeks after five years and earned more incrementally over the succeeding years to a maximum, if I remember correctly, of four weeks after twenty years.

I guess technically there was sick leave. You could call in but you just didn't get paid. If you happened to take two non-consecutive days in a rolling thirty day period you received an Attendance Warning letter.

Then again, auto workers, along with steel workers, had the gold standard of manufacturing labor contracts.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:58 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,230,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The lefties are pushing for McDonalds employees to get paid $15 an hour. So if I was the head of the company, I would get rid of just as many frontline staff as possible. Labor eats up profit. Automate, automate, automate. That includes cooking.

You ever work in a high volume restaurant? I was a fast order cook/dishwasher/kitchen manager a long time ago. It was literally the most stressful work I've ever done.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:26 AM

34,063 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
You ever work in a high volume restaurant? I was a fast order cook/dishwasher/kitchen manager a long time ago. It was literally the most stressful work I've ever done.
Great. Automation then will lower stress by freeing up more employees from
working at these jobs.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:12 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,229,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
The time between 1947-1970 is a special time - when someone can get a job by simply having a pulse, and if one had the willingness to work hard, they could keep the job for 30 years and be paid well.

Those days are long gone. Now the job market is harsh and getting harsher.

A Charles Dickens novel will soon look like a dream job at the way things are going.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:15 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Great. Automation then will lower stress by freeing up more employees from
working at these jobs.
And eventually when enough companies do it, the economy will crater because there are not enough economic players in the economy. Good game automationers and overlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment