Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:38 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times

Advertisements

Had the new Quarter Pounder with cheese tonite.....very good! And pretty cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 07:54 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
But here's the thing: Steak & Shake hasn't automated - they just provide a good product at a good price. A radical idea. If McD's must automate to compete against that, that says a lot about how badly they do things.

Executives make mistakes and then put the blame on the file that followed their orders. They're not responsible for anything. Their solution is to get rid of the rank and file.
steak & shake sells small burgers, so of course, the price is lower.

In addition, I would bet far lower steak and shake royalty fees as % of revenue.

plus far less marketing done by corp.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Actually, he's got a point. If Steak & Shake can manage to sell cheaper yet manage to do well (and remain open 24 hours) and McDonald's feels that they need to fire loads of their staff via automation while charging the same higher prices, then clearly McDonald's IS doing it wrong and is taking it out on their workers for their executives's bad ideas. These kinds of mistakes and golden parachutes happen a lot, sadly. Look at HP and Toys R Us for examples. Executives screwed it up, canned loads of workers, then jumped with a golden parachute from the wreckage.

One should automate whenever possible, as to not do so, is flushing profits down the drain.

A job is not a social welfare program.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:15 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
steak & shake sells small burgers, so of course, the price is lower.

In addition, I would bet far lower steak and shake royalty fees as % of revenue.

plus far less marketing done by corp.
Their burgers aren't their specialty item, it's their shakes. Plus, if you can get a meal basket for about $3-4 (or less than the price of some McDonald's burgers by themselves), people are happy about that and can excuse the smaller size of the burger.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:18 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,699 times
Quote:
One should automate whenever possible, as to not do so, is flushing profits down the drain.

A job is not a social welfare program.
Then how come nobody has automated upper management yet? With the tens of millions (possibly hundreds of millions or even into the billions) of salary they cost, automating them would save A LOT of money.

Also, I might add, if people feel that any day they could be replaced by a robot to save a buck, they probably wouldn't try that hard, knowing they could be cut without a second thought anyway.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:32 PM

55 posts, read 45,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Unless you're a poor college student
I would agree with you had it been about 8 years ago. I agree with strapped for time but cash - McDonalds is ridiculously expensive for what you're getting.
I remember back in 2006-2011, I could order two meals and it would be about 8 bucks.

I just went to McDonalds today - I hardly ever go there, like many other posters have stated, I prefer Wendys, DQ or Burger King over McD's, - but I went there today, as they're doing road construction around Burger King and all the other FF places are much farther from my house.
I got two meals - nothing special about them, two regular meals, and it was 16 bucks. Wtf?

Old 06-20-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Then how come nobody has automated upper management yet? With the tens of millions (possibly hundreds of millions or even into the billions) of salary they cost, automating them would save A LOT of money.

They would lose money automating. The things to automate are repetitive, rote tasks.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
They would lose money automating. The things to automate are repetitive, rote tasks.
Yes, automation is only cost effective when it replaces a large number of salaries and benefits, and most beneficial when doing unskilled work that is easier to design, build and program, such as flipping burgers. Artificial intelligence is a long way from being able to do the work of a CEO. More importantly, the CEO salary of a few million is peanuts in comparison to potential savings from replacing most of the million plus franchise workers.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
But here's the thing: Steak & Shake hasn't automated - they just provide a good product at a good price. A radical idea. If McD's must automate to compete against that, that says a lot about how badly they do things.
McDonald's has always been about increasing efficiency. You should watch "The Founder".

Old 06-21-2018, 09:56 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,229,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
McDonald's has always been about increasing efficiency. You should watch "The Founder".
Correct. Increasing efficiency. That was the old paradigm technology. It made employees more valuable because they were able to do more with the technology.

The new paradigm technology is about REPLACING people and making employees worthless. It is not about making them more efficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment