Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 02:39 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,563,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Except for sales and Mcjobs, there are virtually no entry level jobs that require no experience. Recent grads and career changers get hit with a catch-22.
What were they doing for 4 years during college besides homework?

Jobs dont pay people to do homework, what did the students do beyond that? Or does college only mean show up and do homework/take tests to you?

Ask high school seniors if they want to get into their top college choices if homework and test scores were the only things that mattered? Even 18 year olds understand they need things outside of the classroom to be competitive. How did 22 year olds forget this in 4 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 07:03 AM

515 posts, read 361,374 times
I got a masters degree and I can't say it helped me at all. It looks good on the e-mail signature but that is about it.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:47 AM

12,881 posts, read 9,112,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I got a masters degree and I can't say it helped me at all. It looks good on the e-mail signature but that is about it.
Did you learn anything in the program? It's not the title but what you learned that helps you perform your job better. And performing your job better is what gets you a better job.

I dont understand thinking of a degree as "I filled that square, now I get a reward" mentality. I think of the degree as a tool I can use to be a better performer.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:12 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,838,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

Jobs dont pay people to do homework, what did the students do beyond that? Or does college only mean show up and do homework/take tests to you?

Ask high school seniors if they want to get into their top college choices if homework and test scores were the only things that mattered? Even 18 year olds understand they need things outside of the classroom to be competitive. How did 22 year olds forget this in 4 years?
I did 3 internships in college, two of them were technically “homework†(two classes that required internships for credit).

A lot of majors want internships for credit now. But some places don’t count internships as experience.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:54 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,563,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I did 3 internships in college, two of them were technically “homework” (two classes that required internships for credit).

A lot of majors want internships for credit now. But some places don’t count internships as experience.
I can see their stance on why internship isn't "experience". I feel that way to an extent as well. The goal of an internship is to learn, that's what you are "experiencing". Companies want people to be "experienced" in the performance of the job, not the learning of it.

Unless the internship was long enough to encompass actual job performance / something similar to OTJ training, then it might be counted as job experience. If it was a learning experience, that's what it was though and it wasn't a job experience.

Kind of like job shadowing isn't job experience, but interning might be a long job shadow where they learn what goes on but no actual performance at some places. <-- being a 3rd party observer isn't the same as being the person doing it with someone mentoring you to correct mistakes

plus employers woudn't hold it against you either if you showed what you learned, but it's in a different category as work experience

Last edited by MLSFan; 02-13-2019 at 12:02 AM..

Old 02-13-2019, 06:59 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,934,386 times
University is not vo-tech or a job training program. Someone going in with the mindset that degree = high paying job would be better off going to a community college to learn a trade of some kind.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:36 AM

28,696 posts, read 18,854,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
But do those jobs require zero experience? If those jobs require experience, how do they expect young people (or career changers) to get in?
You should have also gotten college internships into the job you were going to later change into.

Didn't they tell you that?

Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post

I think you missed what he was saying.

Person A is studying in college for a degree in Field A. He's doing internships for Field A. He later gets a job in Field A.

Then Field A begins to collapse as a career because of a disruptive advance in automation.

So Person A, while still working in Field A (supporting a family), he's studying for Field B. But he's not going to have experience in Field B by the time he needs to make the change.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
University is not vo-tech or a job training program. Someone going in with the mindset that degree = high paying job would be better off going to a community college to learn a trade of some kind.
That's what I was saying at the beginning of the thread.

Most kids should be going to community college to learn a technical vocation.

Right now, most kids are not getting any planned, deliberate post-high school education at all, nor are they prepared for one.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:16 AM

5,002 posts, read 2,732,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You should have also gotten college internships into the job you were going to later change into.

Didn't they tell you that?
Many businesses don't count internships as real experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment