Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2019, 04:16 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times

Advertisements

I'd also like to point something out regarding the whole "Hooray Trades" campaign on these pages. I am very vocal in support of trades as a way to make a living, but you gotta acknowledge the limitations of such work. A lot of them are very physical jobs, and the human body doesn't always last. People who go into the trades are more likely to have a shorter career span, which introduces all sorts of issues regarding retirement savings and healthcare. So let's not tout trades as the best alternative without acknowledging the drawbacks. I've dated a lot of construction workers and mechanics over the years, and as I've gotten older, my partners have all cited their concerns about being able to continue working due to the physical toll taken by their jobs. I have the beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome, but if I need to I can have surgery or by dictation software. If I have back problems, I can get a standing desk. Doesn't work that way in physically demanding jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 04:21 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'd also like to point something out regarding the whole "Hooray Trades" campaign on these pages. I am very vocal in support of trades as a way to make a living, but you gotta acknowledge the limitations of such work. A lot of them are very physical jobs, and the human body doesn't always last. People who go into the trades are more likely to have a shorter career span, which introduces all sorts of issues regarding retirement savings and healthcare. So let's not tout trades as the best alternative without acknowledging the drawbacks. I've dated a lot of construction workers and mechanics over the years, and as I've gotten older, my partners have all cited their concerns about being able to continue working due to the physical toll taken by their jobs. I have the beginnings of carpal tunnel syndrome, but if I need to I can have surgery or by dictation software. If I have back problems, I can get a standing desk. Doesn't work that way in physically demanding jobs.

Great points. You also have to have a natural aptitude for trades as well. It depends on what side of the brain youre dominant. Not everyone is cut out to be a mechanic, carpenter etc. Just as we can't have a whole nation of engineers and doctors either

Old 02-02-2019, 04:28 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Agreed. We're in between a rock and a hard place.

This is why i think trade schools should start recruiting at age 16. Done with the physical part by age 36 when the body starts slowing down hopefully. 20 year career stock away as much money as possible and setup your own shop or lead a team.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:59 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Outsourcing may be great in principle, but it doesn’t always work as advertised. The current problem is that there are too many jobs in Western countries being outsourced, to the point that it hurts the domestic workforce.Companies benefit from it though as they get to maximize their profits, by paying employees a lower amount.
I'm just not seeing it. We all benefit. As consumers, employees (or contractors), employers, and investors. Outsourcing is significantly more efficient for obtaining services... as well as for employment.

I'm a lawyer and if my car breaks, I'm not going to try to fix it myself or keep a full time mechanic on payroll. I'm going to outsource it to a dealer or pepboys or something equivalent. Companies like Pepboys are great because they can hire these mechanics full time and keep them busy. It doesn't hurt the domestic workforce.

You can scale this up to large corporations as well. Google doesn't hire janitors full time because that's not their core competency. They outsource it to a janitorial company that can keep people better trained and manage needs better. The people are still employed.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:17 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I'm just not seeing it. We all benefit. As consumers, employees (or contractors), employers, and investors. Outsourcing is significantly more efficient for obtaining services... as well as for employment.

I'm a lawyer and if my car breaks, I'm not going to try to fix it myself or keep a full time mechanic on payroll. I'm going to outsource it to a dealer or pepboys or something equivalent. Companies like Pepboys are great because they can hire these mechanics full time and keep them busy. It doesn't hurt the domestic workforce.

You can scale this up to large corporations as well. Google doesn't hire janitors full time because that's not their core competency. They outsource it to a janitorial company that can keep people better trained and manage needs better. The people are still employed.
That's not quite outsourcing as most people are discussing. Going to Pepboys isn't outsourcing; that makes them a service supplier to you. A closer fit would be you taking your car to Pepboys, and being charged their price and then Pepboys takes the car to Bubba down the street and pays them half what you just paid. You paid for the Pepboys tech to do it, but he lost his job to Bubba and Bubba does a half &&& job.

Or for the Google example, it would be more appropriate instead of janitors to say they lay off their American software developers to outsource it to Bubbastan at 10 cent on the dollar. Which might be fine for the folks in Bubbastan because the cost of living is only 5 cents on the dollar. But undercuts the Americans who have to live in an American cost of living.

Or more simply, it's awfully hard for an American worker to compete on price with near slave and slave labor in many parts of the world.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:54 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That's not quite outsourcing as most people are discussing. Going to Pepboys isn't outsourcing; that makes them a service supplier to you. A closer fit would be you taking your car to Pepboys, and being charged their price and then Pepboys takes the car to Bubba down the street and pays them half what you just paid. You paid for the Pepboys tech to do it, but he lost his job to Bubba and Bubba does a half &&& job.

Or for the Google example, it would be more appropriate instead of janitors to say they lay off their American software developers to outsource it to Bubbastan at 10 cent on the dollar. Which might be fine for the folks in Bubbastan because the cost of living is only 5 cents on the dollar. But undercuts the Americans who have to live in an American cost of living.

Or more simply, it's awfully hard for an American worker to compete on price with near slave and slave labor in many parts of the world.
You're referring to offshoring ... Which is completely different than outsourcing.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:57 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
It's great for everyone. It creates a better job market.

I don't see how it changes the paradigm regarding American and foreign workers.

Could you imagine how difficult it would be if you couldn't outsource anything?
Overseas outsourcing does create a better job market for employers. Many more workers to choose from at lower wages. For workers, not so much.

If you couldn't outsource anything, more Americans would have jobs and at higher wages.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Overseas outsourcing does create a better job market for employers. Many more workers to choose from at lower wages. For workers, not so much.

If you couldn't outsource anything, more Americans would have jobs and at higher wages.
That only applies to offshoring. The vast majority of outsourcing is done within America... to Americans.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:13 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
That only applies to offshoring. The vast majority of outsourcing is done within America... to Americans.
I had stated "overseas outsourcing" and did mean offshoring. Outsourcing within the United States is indeed good for both employers and workers.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I had stated "overseas outsourcing" and did mean offshoring. Outsourcing within the United States is indeed good for both employers and workers.
Right... but most people (including your previous posts) have been referring to general outsourcing. We need to encourage outsourcing.

Offshoring is a whole other situation. And in many cases, necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment