Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 04:08 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Star bucks is 70% college grad
Incorrect. 70% of Starbucks employees are NOT college graduates.

https://money.cnn.com/2015/04/06/pf/...ate/index.html

Starbucks says 70% of its workers do not have a bachelor's degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 04:09 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I grew up in the 70s and 80s and we were told the same thing. The only difference was at first in the 1980s, college was considered a good thing, it was not yet a necessity. But at some time, I am not sure when, it was decided that this country no longer needed or wanted its blue collar jobs, the ticket to the middle class for so many millions of people. We were told those jobs were going to disappear anyway, its kind of funny btw, how other major advanced countries in Europe and Asia still don't think that.
I recall the pundits saying in the latter 80s that the US economy was "evolving" away from a production economy to an "information economy," which was silly to me then and continues to be silly. But now it's "service economy" which is even more silly.

A "service economy" is what a gold mining town has when the gold mine plays out.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:10 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
No, I would advise a young person to skip college, move to india, get a deep dark tan, change their name to something like "Dev" and apply on an HB1 visa. That is sure to open the world to them.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I recall the pundits saying in the latter 80s that the US economy was "evolving" away from a production economy to an "information economy," which was silly to me then and continues to be silly. But now it's "service economy" which is even more silly.
80% of the jobs in the USA are service jobs. There are lots of very high paying service jobs. If you don't work in manufacturing or agriculture, then you have a service job.

Software developer, wall streeter, financial analyst, attorney, IT staff, auto mechanic, nurse, doctor, dentist, pilot, engineer, military officer, government employee, real estate broker, electrician, landscaper, cop, teacher,professor, restaurant owner, actor, politician, truck driver, sales manager, actor, reporter, newspaper editor, HR staff, building manager, security officer, garbageman, fedex and ups worker, roofer, carpenter, electrician, small business owner, railroad worker, manager, author, athlete, blogger, taxi driver, telephone and cable and utility company staff....these are all examples of service jobs.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
80% of the jobs in the USA are service jobs. There are lots of very high paying service jobs. If you don't work in manufacturing or agriculture, then you have a service job.

Software developer, wall streeter, financial analyst, attorney, IT staff, auto mechanic, nurse, doctor, dentist, pilot, engineer, military officer, government employee, real estate broker, electrician, landscaper, cop, teacher,professor, restaurant owner, actor, politician, truck driver, sales manager, actor, reporter, newspaper editor, HR staff, building manager, security officer, garbageman, fedex and ups worker, roofer, carpenter, electrician, small business owner, railroad worker, manager, author, athlete, telephone and cable and utility company staff....these are all examples of service jobs.
As I said, a service economy is a gold mining town in which the gold has played out.

A stable economy is based on producing things that people want to buy--a production economy. They might be widgets or cars or avocados or movies or video games. But it takes production nevertheless. Everything else supports the production economy.

To the extent the US has rather voluntarily jettisoned large portions of its production capacity, it has also jettisoned a large part of what the service economy ultimately rests upon.

That doesn't mean most jobs won't be in the service sector, but it's production that brings into the economic sphere the wealth that then circulates through the service sphere.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:57 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Incorrect. 70% of Starbucks employees are NOT college graduates.

https://money.cnn.com/2015/04/06/pf/...ate/index.html

Starbucks says 70% of its workers do not have a bachelor's degree.
It's hard to imagine that being a barista would require a college degree.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
It does require being right bright, though

Old 09-15-2018, 05:31 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
A college degree only brought me a decade of underemployment. Save your money.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:40 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Don't high schools have guidance counselors?
They have employees who are called guidance counselors. They also have employees called janitors. The janitors could give better career advice than the guidance counselors. They have no concept of the world outside public education. I cant even give them credit for academia because they dont know college outside theres department.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Starbucks has many jobs that aren't barista. They are a large corporation. They have corporate HQ jobs which require degrees plus other high paying jobs. Tech jobs, marketing, accounting, purchasing and sales, corporate attorneys, product development, HR, regional directors, global supply chain, people that analyze and identify new markets and those that buy, build, manage and sell their real estate sites.

https://www.starbucks.com/careers/co...rative-support

Here's an example Starbucks job which requires a degree:

https://starbucks.taleo.net/careerse...tz=GMT-04%3A00

Last edited by sware2cod; 09-16-2018 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment