Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2019, 02:29 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
What is a "good degree" anymore though? The majority of STEM careers (That were so highly coveted at one time with great career prospects) have now been outsourced, insourced, and filled with scammy temp positions

There are no "good degrees" now.
You make it sound like outsourced/insourced are bad things. This has been happening for centuries... and there's nothing wrong with becoming specialized in a field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 04:38 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You make it sound like outsourced/insourced are bad things. This has been happening for centuries... and there's nothing wrong with becoming specialized in a field.
Outsourcing and insourcing are certainly not bad things. As a matter of fact, they are actually great. For employers that is. They get to save a lot on labor costs.

For American workers though, not such a great thing. Not a good thing at all. Now they have to compete with low cost foreign workers which drives pay down and increases their unemployment. This has been around for centuries but not used to such a degree. Just compare the workforce of the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s to the workforce of today. Quite a different picture.

But, yes. For employers outsourcing and insourcing is just grand.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
Outsourcing and insourcing are certainly not bad things. As a matter of fact, they are actually great. For employers that is. They get to save a lot on labor costs.

For American workers though, not such a great thing. Not a good thing at all. Now they have to compete with low cost foreign workers which drives pay down and increases their unemployment. This has been around for centuries but not used to such a degree. Just compare the workforce of the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s to the workforce of today. Quite a different picture.

But, yes. For employers outsourcing and insourcing is just grand.
It's great for everyone. It creates a better job market.

I don't see how it changes the paradigm regarding American and foreign workers.

Could you imagine how difficult it would be if you couldn't outsource anything?

Old 02-02-2019, 07:47 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you get a degree from an Ivy Level school, there are workplaces which will recognize that and give you preference for higher paying entry level jobs which can eventually track to very high paying jobs.

But those employers are not paying you for your degree or school name. Huge misnomer amongst youth. They're hiring you based on the premise that you are smarter and more efficient at making them money than somebody from a lesser school.

If it turns out that you're not smarter and can't cut it, can't catch on, or say the wrong thing, you better believe you'll be out the door quick. And I mean QUICK.

Google is no exception. Do you think Google/Facebook/Amazon are where they are because they hire recent grads and pay them six figures salaries based on where they went to school and let them go to lunch for 2 hours and play ping pong the rest of the day?

It's about finding your fit in this world. Kids don't understand that. Every 22 year old with a business degree thinks he can work at Goldman and Sachs given the opportunity. Only a select few have the personality, temerity, intelligence, focus, and to be quite honest, viciousness, to do that kind of job.

You know who a good company is? City of New York. They'll pay you over six figures to drive a subway train that drives itself and make announcements on the loudspeaker that you're pulling into Times Square. You don't even need a college degree for that company.
Yeah, I went into debt for my Ivy League degree despite a full ride to a state school. I was never a STEM candidate - my brain just does not work that way. But I made *** laude marks at a top-notch school's English program, and that paved the way for me. Really it should do the same if you excel at any reputable school, doesn't have to be Ivy League. But as I'm getting older, I'm realizing more and more that I am paid to think. My employer actually wants my ideas, not just me cranking away on my day-to-day responsibilities.

And yes, one of my colleagues left my current company because he needed the stability offered by NYC's MTA. He appreciates the security of his position, and despite his talent, I think he made the right decision. He had family obligations he could not gamble with.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:20 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Yes I really feel sad and disappointed that after graduating college with straight A's i was unemployed and the only job i could get was a blue collar job that didnt even require a degree..
The question for you, then, is what did you do in college to make yourself a marketable job candidate? What internships did you do? What skills and tools did you learn? What organizations did you belong to? Did you do research and publish? What kind of networking did you do and who can vouch for you? Seeing a good GPA and a completed degree doesn't prove to an employer that you are going to be a valuable asset. A college degree in itself isn't a coupon to exchange for a job.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-02-2019 at 08:30 AM..

Old 02-02-2019, 08:23 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
What is a "good degree" anymore though?
Mortuary Science is one example.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrypro View Post
Aside from STEM degrees is anyone very disappointed or even angered that their bachelor's or master's degree from a public university did not open doorways to great workplaces?

Many of us worked hard to earn good grades for classes that would be applicable for workplaces but once hired of course after going on a tedious job search the workplace turns out to offer low pay for the overload of disorganized work projects and poor management that one has to deal with.

It often feels that the bachelor's degree and or master's degree is highly overrated and doesn't open up great opportunities in a lot of cases.
My friends and I graduated from college in the late 90s.

People with pointless, aimless degrees (the ubiquitous psych degree, communications, etc) struggled to find jobs or wound up doing random crap (including waitressing, call center work, etc). No matter how good their grades were.

This is not a new thing.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:47 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:

They do nothing but put more money in the already riches pockets, widen the income distribution gap between rich and poor, destroy the middle class, and drive wages down. Yea.. they ARE Bad things for Americans. Unless you want a future of selling hash on a street corner in Jersey

Old 02-02-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:

They do nothing but put more money in the already riches pockets, widen the income distribution gap between rich and poor, destroy the middle class, and drive wages down. Yea.. they ARE Bad things for Americans. Unless you want a future of selling hash on a street corner in Jersey
You do realize that outsourcing is what made America as great as it is? It made us efficient. Made a great job market. Do you honestly go through life without outsourcing? I doubt it.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:16 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
It's great for everyone. It creates a better job market.

I don't see how it changes the paradigm regarding American and foreign workers.

Could you imagine how difficult it would be if you couldn't outsource anything?
Outsourcing may be great in principle, but it doesn’t always work as advertised. The current problem is that there are too many jobs in Western countries being outsourced, to the point that it hurts the domestic workforce.Companies benefit from it though as they get to maximize their profits, by paying employees a lower amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment