Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 10:42 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical10x View Post
At least the Civil Service requires an exam. And there are tiers of seniority inside the Fed gov with deterministic pay according to tier.

Would that not be a far, far cry from the realities of the modern-day working world (aside from the actuarial universe)?
Not really.

Most civil service exams are a joke. I sat several. It's basically the informal set of check-boxes that HR will run on your resume turned into a form you fill out plus some very easy questions. The larger barriers are whether it will ever open to non-veterans outside the civil service, and when you are eventually called whether you still need the job (which you likely won't, I got a few callbacks literally years after sending in an examination).

Larger private companies often do the exact same thing as the feds with regard to assigning salary to a tier and then people to a tier. Standardization makes HR's life easier. Where the feds and private companies diverge is that private companies emphasize job performance more in tiering people while the feds prioritize butt-in-seat-time more. Which is not a win for the feds as far as meritocracy is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 10:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Over 70% of Starbucks workers are college grads
Most make $9.34 an hour minus student loan

Old 09-04-2018, 01:03 AM

30 posts, read 18,103 times
Well the corporate world is 0% meritocratic, so anything beyond that is a godsend. Knowing somebody on the inside is literally the only thing that matters, there's just no getting around it.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:18 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Location is also very important. Staying in a rural or small town or some other economically depressed area is going to limit your potential. Had I not left small town PA, I would have been stuck in the $10-15 an hour trap for the rest of my working days. I have friends back home with good educations from prestigious schools stuck making $10 an hour because they won't leave.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:38 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
posite of the case - the closer you get to politics and the further from a practical need to keep the lights on the less meritocratic both hiring and contracting decisions get.
Most government jobs are a long, long way from partisan politics in the doing of the job itself. Partisan politics has nothing to do with how Jane Smith, GS-5 working in an office at Creech AFB, NV, is doing her job. Nor will it make any different in whether Jane Smith gets promoted.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:41 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Larger private companies often do the exact same thing as the feds with regard to assigning salary to a tier and then people to a tier. Standardization makes HR's life easier. Where the feds and private companies diverge is that private companies emphasize job performance more in tiering people while the feds prioritize butt-in-seat-time more. Which is not a win for the feds as far as meritocracy is concerned.
I would say, from what I see, that private companies emphasize job description more in tiering people than job performance. Companies decide what kind of job skill they want in a position (and that decision may or may not be based on actual facts--it might be wholly a hunch), and then hire or promote the person who appears to have that skill at that moment.

That's not exactly a meritocracy, although it does look a lot like one.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:47 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
And how many of them work there longer than 6 months?

Old 09-04-2018, 07:35 AM

343 posts, read 604,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Location is also very important. Staying in a rural or small town or some other economically depressed area is going to limit your potential. Had I not left small town PA, I would have been stuck in the $10-15 an hour trap for the rest of my working days. I have friends back home with good educations from prestigious schools stuck making $10 an hour because they won't leave.

Are you from NEPA by chance? That is a very depressed area.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:24 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
^^^Incorrect.

70% of Starbucks workers are either college students or hope to obtain a college degree. Starbucks has a free college program for their workers.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2...ollege-tuition

Starbucks has a low employee turnover rate for the food industry, but overall industry rates for turnover are high. Offering incentives that are appealing to its employees—70 percent of which are either college students or hoping to receive a college degree

Old 09-04-2018, 05:19 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
You have to spend money to make money.

You put in the investment first, then you make the money.
Do you really believe that prodigious production of usable goods and services is constrained by money?
Ditto, for equitable trade?
I guess you haven't heard of barter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment