Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 02:57 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Just the opposite of what you're trying to say.

Learning to code even today--more than ever--does not take a bachelor's degree.

It took a bachelors decree program (or military training) in 1970 because it had to be done on a mainframe.

Associate's degree and certification will open the door.
Ah, yes. Brings to mind the quote from Good Will Hunting:

Quote:
You dropped 150 grand on a f***'n education you could have got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library!
Coding is not Software Engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Supermarkets full of college graduates now? Jeeshh...
Shows just how watered down the college degree has become. Nowadays, almost anyone who can fog a mirror can get one.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:05 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I can't understand how a subway conductor earing $21 an hour is making 6 figures...Unless you add in cents.
Benefits? When you add benefits to my salary, it boosts my "earnings" by over $30K! As a public employee my salary is listed on Transparent California, and the difference between my pre-benefit and post-benefit salary even shocked me.

And I don't know if I already answered the OP, but no - I am not disappointed or angered by my degrees and career path. Got my BA in English (lit) from a private liberal arts college, followed by the MLIS from a state college, and have been mostly happy & employed in the library field ever since. Not everyone works in a corporate office setting, so maybe that's where you/OP went wrong? So many options outside of STEM fields and "corporate drone," which too many people seem to forget.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Employer expectations have changed and they have a misunderstanding about the role of higher education. For some reason employers think universities are supposed to provide job training.
No, they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Then, after all this, employers can't seem to figure out why so many graduates have less than enthusiastic attitudes from applicants when they are offering a salary of $32,000 a year...
Starting salaries in Silicon Valley for fresh-out-of-engineering-school, no-work-experience people are well north of $100K. Many north of $120K.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:09 PM

45,412 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Benefits? When you add benefits to my salary, it boosts my "earnings" by over $30K! As a public employee, my salary is listed on Transparent California, and the difference between my pre-benefit and post-benefit salary even shocked me.
Yeah, that's the burdened or extended cost, sometimes called total compensation. All, or almost all, employees have that, even minimum wage workers (Social Security and maybe Unemployment Insurance) that employers pay in addition to wages/salary.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical10x View Post
Well I've known multiple comp sci/MIS grads in the "gig economy."
IT/MIS is not a STEM field. The engineers who design the hardware and software used by IT/MIS people -- those design engineers are STEM. IT/MIS are, well, pretty far down the food chain.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:15 PM

30 posts, read 18,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Starting salaries in Silicon Valley for fresh-out-of-engineering-school, no-work-experience people are well north of $100K. Many north of $120K.
Contractors too or just the wealthy-and-well-connected salaried hires?

Old 08-31-2018, 03:29 PM

30 posts, read 18,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
IT/MIS is not a STEM field. The engineers who design the hardware and software used by IT/MIS people -- those design engineers are STEM.
Agreed, I didn't mean to imply MIS is a STEM field. It's usually lumped into Business, and probably has more in common with Engineering Management than with Engineering. Nonetheless I'd disagree with the notion that MIS grads are not capable of designing the software that they use.

At any rate, if a technically-savvy grad is stuck in a valueless job it's because of structural flaws in the tech industry not because the major is categorized outside of STEM or for any other reason.

Last edited by logical10x; 08-31-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 08-31-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical10x View Post
Contractors too or just the wealthy-and-well-connected salaried hires?
Pretty much everyone, AFAIK. I also live in Silicon Valley, and anything under $100K is considered a "lower-income salary" here - whether or not you work in IT. Even us lowly public servants usually make close to six figures, if you're anything above janitorial level.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, that's the burdened or extended cost, sometimes called total compensation. All, or almost all, employees have that, even minimum wage workers (Social Security and maybe Unemployment Insurance) that employers pay in addition to wages/salary.
Yes, true... but I was just answering the question of how a worker (subway/train operator) with a posted $20/hr salary could = $100K in actual earnings. My base salary, for example, is around $42/hr right now; but when you add on the benefits, it ends up being closer to $60/hr!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment