Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 05:21 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,433,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical10x View Post
Well the corporate world is 0% meritocratic, so anything beyond that is a godsend. Knowing somebody on the inside is literally the only thing that matters, there's just no getting around it.
Hmmm, I didn’t know anyone at any of the high end corporate jobs I’ve had. I guess your comment is just made up nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 05:40 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
^^^Incorrect.

70% of Starbucks workers are either college students or hope to obtain a college degree. Starbucks has a free college program for their workers.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2...ollege-tuition

Starbucks has a low employee turnover rate for the food industry, but overall industry rates for turnover are high. Offering incentives that are appealing to its employees—70 percent of which are either college students or hoping to receive a college degree
Thanks for providing the correct information there. Too much misinformation gets thrown around on this site by people with a history of political agendas.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:41 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Hmmm, I didn’t know anyone at any of the high end corporate jobs I’ve had. I guess your comment is just made up nonsense.
I'd go so far to say it is completely made up nonsense. Anyone who claims you must know people to get a highly paid job that has demanding skills and experience is lying to themselves as a way to justify their own deficiencies.

Old 09-07-2018, 03:54 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
And how many of them work there longer than 6 months?
Most.

At my local starbucks, most of the employees have been there for several years.

The impression I get of the 4-5 starbucks in the area is there is very little turnover.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:11 PM

482 posts, read 242,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrypro View Post
Aside from STEM degrees is anyone very disappointed or even angered that their bachelor's or master's degree from a public university did not open doorways to great workplaces?

Many of us worked hard to earn good grades for classes that would be applicable for workplaces but once hired of course after going on a tedious job search the workplace turns out to offer low pay for the overload of disorganized work projects and poor management that one has to deal with.

It often feels that the bachelor's degree and or master's degree is highly overrated and doesn't open up great opportunities in a lot of cases.
I got a degree in marketing. It got my foot in the door selling insurance and financial investments for a small agency that required a business degree without previous experience.

I now have my own agency after my boss mentored me into a great opportunity before semi-retiring after I served her well for almost 8 years. She even let me take several of my clients.

My degree absolutely opened a doorway to a great career for which I am thankful for every day. My sister on the other hand, got a psychology degree and works in a bikini coffee hut. Basically, She makes over 70k a year for having fake boobs and a big butt; however, she didn't need to run up almost 6 figures in college debt at USC to be a professional hustler.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:17 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
My degree absolutely opened a doorway to a great career for which I am thankful for every day. My sister on the other hand, got a psychology degree and works in a bikini coffee hut. Basically, She makes over 70k a year for having fake boobs and a big butt; however, she didn't need to run up almost 6 figures in college debt at USC to be a professional hustler.
If your sister makes 70K working as a barista, then she kind of proves that you don't need a degree to succeed.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:56 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If your sister makes 70K working as a barista, then she kind of proves that you don't need a degree to succeed.
Depends on where she lives.

And how much the boobs and butt cost to acquire and maintain.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:24 AM

482 posts, read 242,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You don't have to go to college to succeed, but it certainly helps in areas like business or engineering, and it's mandatory in fields like medical or law.

My sister isn't an average person. She has pretty girl privilege. To base her life experiences on what it's like for the average person would just be silly. It would be like saying some tattoo artist that makes 70k a year is proof that one doesn't need an education to succeed while ignoring the fact that they were born with artistic ability just like my sister was born with a pretty face and a curvy backside. An average looking woman isn't getting $20 tips all day at a bikini coffee hut.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:41 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
You don't have to go to college to succeed, but it certainly helps in areas like business or engineering, and it's mandatory in fields like medical or law.

My sister isn't an average person. She has pretty girl privilege. To base her life experiences on what it's like for the average person would just be silly. It would be like saying some tattoo artist that makes 70k a year is proof that one doesn't need an education to succeed while ignoring the fact that they were born with artistic ability just like my sister was born with a pretty face and a curvy backside. An average looking woman isn't getting $20 tips all day at a bikini coffee hut.
Bravo.

Public policy should not be conceived around outliers.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:37 PM

225 posts, read 150,296 times
Quote:
[...] An average looking woman isn't getting $20 tips all day at a bikini coffee hut.
The thirst is real, gentlemen. But seriously, if your sister has this gift that enables her to extract that kind of money out of ̶h̶̶o̶̶r̶̶n̶̶d̶̶o̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶l̶̶o̶̶s̶̶e̶̶r̶̶s̶ her customers, then more power to her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment