Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 03:44 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
…
Starting salaries in Silicon Valley for fresh-out-of-engineering-school, no-work-experience people are well north of $100K. Many north of $120K.
You do understand that quoting Silicon Valley pay is completely distorting the picture vs much of the rest of the country because of the cost of living around there. I spent four miserable years stationed there drawing a decent, middle class, salary for most of the country, that was barely above poverty level out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 03:49 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Starting salaries in Silicon Valley for fresh-out-of-engineering-school, no-work-experience people are well north of $100K. Many north of $120K.
"Silicon Valley?"

So what is the average rent for a decent two bedroom apartment in Silicon Valley?

Old 08-31-2018, 04:00 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Most prospective college students aren't informed that colleges sell credentials, not an education. If your particular career path needs credentials, by all means, graduate from college with the required credentials.
Otherwise, you can learn anything, anywhere, anytime, and work in your desired field.

For good advice, read "What Color is Your Parachute."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_C...r_Parachute%3F
The book recommends networking to find "the person with the authority to hire you", rather than sending out resumes in bulk, shotgun fashion. It also recommends carefully figuring out what one is best at and what one enjoys most, which (the author says) tend to coincide.
. . . .
IMHO, getting a referral from a trusted friend of the target company owner / president is far more influential than GPAs and resumes.

Those in power to hire are looking for folks who (a) will be loyal, (b) increase profitability, and (c) solve problems.
Thus it is very helpful to be able to show evidence of your character, frugality, and problem solving capability.

You definitely don't want to be a 'clock watcher' punching out and leaving ASAP if you're looking to advance.
. . . .
Alternately, one can be 'creative.'
To illustrate, if you'd like to enter the entertainment field, particularly television production, you might inquire of your local 'cable access' studio to volunteer. You may get experience as a sound engineer, technical director, camera operator, lighting engineer, etc, etc. I had a blast as a T.D. on a 3-camera "talking head" show and an impromptu comedy show.

Often, these folks are part of a larger pool of skilled workers who get called for part time work doing television ads. Once you are "in", you're "in". And if you're willing and able, you might snag location work, wherever the crew is shipped to. I knew a 'young lass' who worked as a cosmetologist, taking off for six months out of each year, or working for only six months out of each year, depending on how you look at it. She'd get a call from a producer and be off for a month or three in some exotic location. Talk about a 'paid vacation' complete with catered food. She owned a big house, and relied on her friends / tenants to house sit while she was gone.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:05 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You do understand that quoting Silicon Valley pay is completely distorting the picture vs much of the rest of the country because of the cost of living around there. I spent four miserable years stationed there drawing a decent, middle class, salary for most of the country, that was barely above poverty level out there.
It's a valid point, though, if you're discussing STEM-field salaries; after all, this is where the majority of high-tech (big name company) jobs are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"Silicon Valley?"

So what is the average rent for a decent two bedroom apartment in Silicon Valley?
Depends on what you consider decent, but around $2500-3000/mo on average for a 2-bedroom... I pay $2100 for my 1br duplex, and that's considered a "great deal." So yeah, I think we realize our salaries are reflective of the COL! But if we're talking about STEM salaries (not sure if that's how this line of conversation started), you can't do that honestly without factoring in Silicon Valley incomes/jobs.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:07 PM

30 posts, read 18,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Thus it is very helpful to be able to show evidence of your character, frugality, and problem solving capability.
Frugality?

Old 08-31-2018, 04:21 PM

225 posts, read 150,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Most prospective college students aren't informed that colleges sell credentials, not an education.
[...]
Otherwise, you can learn anything, anywhere, anytime, and work in your desired field.
[...]
This attitude is cancer. If you have academic credentials and no tangible academic education you are part of the problem. You are devaluing real scholars with your pseudo-degree. And, while I know this may be hard to understand for someone like you, there is a certain level of intellectual development one can only achieve during studies at a good university.

Perhaps part of the problem is the trivialization of university studies. I see people running around with master's degrees who can't transfer simple scientific principles into their everyday life and work related challenges. It seems as though they slept through physics and cheated on the exam. Yet here they are with a degree.

Truly average minds, who think and act themselves equals with actual academics because they studied "[insert corporate job function]-studies". These people run the show, screening resumes and deciding marketing strategies. No wonder a university degree is handled more as a credential than a certificate of merit.

Last edited by Odenwald; 08-31-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 08-31-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Daddy (or the connections that Daddy's lifestyle provided) got them jobs.
Access and connections are everything since 2008. Money networks are the social networks, now more than ever.

Last edited by logical10x; 08-31-2018 at 04:35 PM..

Old 08-31-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog357 View Post
People I worked with make more than me and most of them went to schools like Cal State Long Beach.

Damn right education is a crappy investment, at least for me.
They were rich to begin with (this includes rich international students) and/or they were in frats/sororities and/or they are ex-military.

Those groups are the ones on the fast-track to managerial status post-2008, maybe because of the way the economy was restructured. I'm not sure.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:08 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Daddy (or the connections that Daddy's lifestyle provided) got them jobs.
That's such an old trope... and largely untrue, in my observations.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:03 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logical10x View Post
Frugality?
As one former boss told me: "I'm in the business to make money, not spend money."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment