Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 10:22 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm 32. I've been around the private sector merry-go-around long enough to know that most of its promises are BS. My employer is supposed to match 401k annually. I've been here long enough to have two matches, yet have been told I don't qualify due to timing, despite meeting all matching qualification criteria from day 1. It's BS.

I'm a finalist for a state position in Nashville. I live in northeast TN. The state pays better, slightly so accounting for the COL difference. The benefits are massively better. My employer is unstable with people being hired and fired left and right. The state is likely more stable.

I'd be a fool to not take the state job if offered.
I was just up in your neck of the woods last week. You are rather in the butt end of Tennessee so I can see how the state job will pay more than where you live now. The competitive question though is what's the market for your job around Nashville/Murfreesboro? Private sector job down around Charlotte or over toward the Research Triangle would certainly pay better than where you are today. Wish you luck in getting that Nashville job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's also what I'm seeing here at the epicenter of federal employment. Long time employees at or near my age are staying, especially those for whom federal employment is a second career (typically for the ones I know are military retirees who then went to the civilian end of the government), while younger employees are punching their federal card for a few years then transitioning to contractors doing the same thing they did as a fed. Often at the same agency and using the same office.
Yep, spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 06:29 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
What I'm seeing is jobs that a HS grad could easily do now require a bachelors. And these jobs often pay considerably less than $20 an hour. Is it really worth it to spend 4 years and thousands of dollars to get a job that pays that little? You can get a job here at Hobby Lobby stocking shelves for $15 an hour, no degree required.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:34 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
What I'm seeing is jobs that a HS grad could easily do now require a bachelors. And these jobs often pay considerably less than $20 an hour.
And more jobs that could be done with technical certs without a bachelor's degree, like most IT work.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:48 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I was just up in your neck of the woods last week. You are rather in the butt end of Tennessee so I can see how the state job will pay more than where you live now. The competitive question though is what's the market for your job around Nashville/Murfreesboro? Private sector job down around Charlotte or over toward the Research Triangle would certainly pay better than where you are today. Wish you luck in getting that Nashville job.
An employer similar to mine in Asheville had a minimum pay of $78,600 for a role similar to mine. I make $60,000. Granted, Asheville has a higher cost of living, and there are issues with that particular employer that would make me hesitant to work there.

I would expect the larger markets to pay at least as well.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:02 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
What I'm seeing is jobs that a HS grad could easily do now require a bachelors. And these jobs often pay considerably less than $20 an hour. Is it really worth it to spend 4 years and thousands of dollars to get a job that pays that little? You can get a job here at Hobby Lobby stocking shelves for $15 an hour, no degree required.
What 'career' job pays lower than $20 per hour? Doctor? Biomedical researcher? Lawyer? Dentist? Career counselor? Teacher? Police officer? Nurse? Mathematician? Scientist? Park Ranger? Pharmacist?

Good lord; jobs that a HS grad can do don't require bachelors. Never did before, don't now. These jobs are fast-food, lawn-mowing, busboy, ticket agent, construction, etc. NONE of those require bachelors, nor are any of these career path jobs. What does require a bachelors is a job where some working knowledge of anything- and proof of the ability to learn is involved- especially in a job that has a clear path to advancement. The last thing I would ever do is promote someone with no knowledge about anything into a position where they interface with people that are knowledgeable. It lowers the bar for the entire company.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:22 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
What 'career' job pays lower than $20 per hour? Doctor? Biomedical researcher? Lawyer? Dentist? Career counselor? Teacher? Police officer? Nurse? Mathematician? Scientist? Park Ranger? Pharmacist?

Good lord; jobs that a HS grad can do don't require bachelors. Never did before, don't now. These jobs are fast-food, lawn-mowing, busboy, ticket agent, construction, etc. NONE of those require bachelors, nor are any of these career path jobs. What does require a bachelors is a job where some working knowledge of anything- and proof of the ability to learn is involved- especially in a job that has a clear path to advancement. The last thing I would ever do is promote someone with no knowledge about anything into a position where they interface with people that are knowledgeable. It lowers the bar for the entire company.
RNs in my neck of the woods start at $18/hr. Lower end nurses will never hit $20/hr.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:07 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post

Programming didn't require a bachelor's degree in the 70s. Lots and lots of enlisted Navy programmers got out and got coding jobs in lots of corporations.

Secretaries didn't require bachelor degrees. Folks doing "administration" today do.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:41 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,483,029 times
Quote:
RNs in my neck of the woods start at $18/hr. Lower end nurses will never hit $20/hr.
That's why I will never ever ever work as a RN in Tennessee. Crappy wages.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:21 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,190,169 times
Quote:
Your area is not a great area for them. The average pay for RNs, in the US, in order from lowest to highest mean salary started at $27, went to $49 and change. Average salary in Tennessee was $28.87.

https://nurse.org/articles/highest-p...stered-nurses/

Old 08-29-2018, 03:07 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Programming didn't require a bachelor's degree in the 70s. Lots and lots of enlisted Navy programmers got out and got coding jobs in lots of corporations.
There is a very large difference between 1970s era mainframe "data processing" and modern "software engineering."

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 08-29-2018 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: main
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment