Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 02:06 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Easy fir an adult to say. But the people making these decisions are 15,16,17 years old in high school. They don't know enough to know that data is there and the ones advising them are the ones pushing college for everyone. They are taking the advise of trusted adults and it's wrong.
Yes.

The one time teenagers paid attention to us....

....and we were wrong.

Of course, we hadn't been wrong in our time.

For us Boomers, our careers were like a big maze with us starting at the lower left corner and at the upper right corner was a big hunk of cheese: A fat pension. All we had to do was spend 30 or 40 years winding the maze. Sometimes we'd go up, sometimes we'd go across. We might have to make three left turns. But eventually we'd get the cheese.

And we told our kids that's what life would be like for them.

Except for them, the maze now had trap doors at ever turn that might drop them right out into space.

And someone had taken away the cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 02:07 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Easy fir an adult to say. But the people making these decisions are 15,16,17 years old in high school. They don't know enough to know that data is there and the ones advising them are the ones pushing college for everyone. They are taking the advise of trusted adults and it's wrong.
That's ultimately a lack of parenting.
I just don't get it I guess. Parents need to make damn sure their kids are doing the correct research (including back-up plans) before embarking on a major so that they can eventually be independent adults.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:14 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I just don't get it I guess. Parents need to make damn sure their kids are doing the correct research (including back-up plans) before embarking on a major so that they can eventually be independent adults.
The research field was rigged. The education industry, the banking industry, and government made sure everything pointed to going to college. It would take someone fairly sophisticated to dig through the obfuscation to figure out otherwise.

And again, for the class of 2008-2012, at least, the situation radically changed anyway. Majors that would have looked like royal carriages in 2004 turned to pumpkins in 2008.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:22 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
A college degree will still get you a good job or your foot in the door at a good job right out of college. Just don't get a worthless degree that you can only teach with.

Go get some type of a business degree and a job selling something after graduation. Having those two things on your resume will get you interviews for good jobs for the rest of your life if all you want is to be middle class and not get your hands dirty.
Well thats not true..i know a guy with a business degree, two of them as a matter of fact..one worked in retail sales, and both now work in a call center.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:48 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The research field was rigged. The education industry, the banking industry, and government made sure everything pointed to going to college. It would take someone fairly sophisticated to dig through the obfuscation to figure out otherwise.

And again, for the class of 2008-2012, at least, the situation radically changed anyway. Majors that would have looked like royal carriages in 2004 turned to pumpkins in 2008.
Thats true. I started college in 2003, graduated in 2007 with a history major. Did plenty of research and found some history majors did get office jobs which i was fine with, but now its been mainly a decade of under employment for me. Lots of people just told me to go to school and i would be fine.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:07 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
Well thats not true..i know a guy with a business degree, two of them as a matter of fact..one worked in retail sales, and both now work in a call center.
The ones I know are working in call centers too. One is even working at the local car wash.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:49 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Degrees are useless in today’s workplace unless you have connections. Most everything is useless truthfully without connections.

1. Skills mean little
2. Experience means nothing (Alot of companies don’t want experience since that means they have to pay more for it). hell they don’t even want to spend the money on training. Nevermind experience

Degrees are only useful in areas where you truly need them. (Med school, Law School, Engineering etc). If you plan on just pursuing higher education in the arts, communications, Business etc. Don’t waste your time or money. Unless you have connections higher up that can get you in or get you promoted.

I got a Bachelor’s in Arts 10 years ago. Waste of freaking time. Ive spent my entire career working for people WITHOUT a degree

Old 09-17-2018, 05:55 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Degrees are useless in today’s workplace unless you have connections. Most everything is useless truthfully without connections.

1. Skills mean little
2. Experience means nothing (Alot of companies don’t want experience since that means they have to pay more for it). hell they don’t even want to spend the money on training. Nevermind experience

Degrees are only useful in areas where you truly need them. (Med school, Law School, Engineering etc). If you plan on just pursuing higher education in the arts, communications, Business etc. Don’t waste your time or money. Unless you have connections higher up that can get you in or get you promoted.

I got a Bachelor’s in Arts 10 years ago. Waste of freaking time. Ive spent my entire career working for people WITHOUT a degree
Connections and relationships (i.e. networking) is THE most important thing to have. Instead of telling our kids to get good degrees and everything will be OK, we need to be teaching them how to make connections and foster relationships with people that can help them get what they want.

Plenty of CEOs with just liberal art degrees.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:19 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Connections and relationships (i.e. networking) is THE most important thing to have. Instead of telling our kids to get good degrees and everything will be OK, we need to be teaching them how to make connections and foster relationships with people that can help them get what they want.

Plenty of CEOs with just liberal art degrees.
Yep my parents never once taught me the importance of “networking” or establishing relationships or working on interpersonal skills with other human beings. They lived by the old Tripe “If you work hard, you’ll get what you want”

…. Maybe in their era this rang true. It certainly doesn’t apply to this one though. At least in the corporate world. Going above and beyond and becoming valuable may help you avoid layoffs, it won’t get you promoted though most likely or a substantial pay raise

Connections matter today.. The Rest? Mehhh.. Not really in most workplaces

Last edited by DorianRo; 09-17-2018 at 06:36 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 06:49 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
20/20 hindsight. For a lot of parents they dont have the specialized knowledge to challenge what the school system tells them. And for many all the answers pointed one way. Too bad no one foresaw the change coming way back in 2000 when people were making decisions. Even today if you visit the education forum 90% of the posters will still say college for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment