Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 05:00 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times

Advertisements

When I started, you didn't get any paid time off for 6 months, then you got a week's time put into your PTO account. I actually had a vacation planned two months after I started. I told them once I got an offer, and while I didn't get paid for the time, it was not a problem to take it. I think that is different than planning something within the first few months - a day here or there shouldn't be that big a deal, but I ordinarily wouldn't have taken 6 work days off that early on.

But I also wouldn't work someplace where taking a full week at a time wasn't allowed or if allowed, was frowned on. I'm at the start of week off right now, and most of my co-workers take a week at a time once or twice a year, sometimes even longer than that. I did put in a lot of extra time* to try to get caught up before I left, and I know I'll put in some extra time to catch up from this week, but it's still worth it.

* unpaid time, because I'm salaried
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 05:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Your company lets you take a week off. It seems that employers do let people take it off.
Right, the issue isn’t that his employer doesn’t *let* him take the time off, it is just that it is challenging. At my last job, we really had to prepare to take time off because we were understaffed, but we could still take the time as long as we were able to do it without leaving others in the lurch. That usually meant that vacations had to be planned several months in advance at a minimum.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:52 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,990,256 times
Honestly, and I say this as someone who used to have run a company with a payroll of 70+ employees before my ownership percentage was acquired, if a new employee requested time off for non-emergency matters (or without declaring something had been planned during the offer stage) within the first 6 months, I knew that they were going to be let go within 12 months.

The type of employee who jumps into a new job, and starts asking for time off at month 2, 3 or 4, usually has poor work ethic and little commitment to accomplishing a companies goals. Not 100% the case all the time, but in general.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:55 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
three years

Old 07-30-2018, 07:08 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,730 times
Day 1

If your manager approves it no problems.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:42 PM

905 posts, read 791,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Let's say you start a new job, how long would you wait before you take a day off? what about requesting a whole week off for a vacation? I'm thinking a year... or at the least 6 months. What do you think?
For a week off, you could ask right away, but don't have the time you need to take off actually be for a while, say 3 months or so. Be prepared to be asked to take different time off instead if others are already going to be out, especially around the holidays. Some jobs have projects in motion with hard deadlines or specific times of the year they need all hands on deck and you may not know this in detail as a new employee. But don't be afraid to ask. Your HR department should have a clear policy on these things and you shouldn't hesitate having a conversation within the context of those guidelines. Don't be pushy, but don't be a doormat either, the allocated time off you have coming to you is yours to take.

If you need a week off sooner than three or four months in then you should make that clear prior to starting.

For a day off, I'd wait at least a month and play it by ear. A day off is often easy to give on short notice. Again, if you know before you start, say so.

A good boss (or even an average one) knows and expects people will take time off. The more notice you give, the easier you make it for the boss to approve the time off and coordinate, and the less chance you'll be told no.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:27 PM

255 posts, read 184,158 times
Probably not for several months. I remember 2 jobs I had I had a vacation or something and i ended up having to quit the job because they didn't allow time off so soon.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:02 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Honestly, and I say this as someone who used to have run a company with a payroll of 70+ employees before my ownership percentage was acquired, if a new employee requested time off for non-emergency matters (or without declaring something had been planned during the offer stage) within the first 6 months, I knew that they were going to be let go within 12 months.

The type of employee who jumps into a new job, and starts asking for time off at month 2, 3 or 4, usually has poor work ethic and little commitment to accomplishing a companies goals. Not 100% the case all the time, but in general.
It probably depends on what they're doing on their time off. My husband, for example, volunteers with our son's travel league, and they travel at least one long weekend per month. So when he was offered his job, he told the owner about it and the owner, who also has children who are busy with activities, said that's no problem at all. Just let him know in advance and as long as he makes up his hours, he can absolutely do that. So my husband works an extra hour or two each day to make up the time (he's paid salary) and nobody says boo about it. He's productive and makes sure his projects get done on time. I know that wouldn't fly at many companies, but he would not accept a job at a company that didn't allow him this type of flex-time in this season of his life, so that wouldn't be an issue.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:19 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Many places have a formal period where PTO can be accrued, but not taken.

I'd give it about three months for a long weekend, and six months for an actual week.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:05 AM

17,590 posts, read 13,367,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Let's say you start a new job, how long would you wait before you take a day off? what about requesting a whole week off for a vacation? I'm thinking a year... or at the least 6 months. What do you think?
Depends on the company.

Read your company's benefit handbook

I am in Ohio which is an "at will" state. If you asked me for a week off after 6 months, don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment