Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 04:41 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
In order to get a vacation we’re i worked you had to be there a year, same for paid time off. Most companies do that and if you were hired on by a temporary service we would work them 3 months with the temp service. If we liked the way they worked we would hire them but they would have to get a back ground charge by our company we don’t use temporary service background checks, then the employee would have to work 90 day before eligible for benefits and a year for a vacation. If they don’t like that then there’s the door because there was always someone else who would take their place.
I would never work for a company with that sort of requirement. There may always people who would take the place of those who don't like it, but a company like that won't attract qualified and desirable candidates for the position. The companies that do draw those candidates offer much better benefits. The last corporate job I worked, I accrued time off from day one and it wasn't on some probationary/temporary basis, either. I actually turned down several positions that required a 90 day probationary period. Either they wanted to hire me right off or they didn't. I never went more than a week between jobs and that was because I wanted to take a week in between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 09:53 PM

905 posts, read 791,733 times
Quote:
In order to get a vacation we’re i worked you had to be there a year, same for paid time off. Most companies do that and if you were hired on by a temporary service we would work them 3 months with the temp service. If we liked the way they worked we would hire them but they would have to get a back ground charge by our company we don’t use temporary service background checks, then the employee would have to work 90 day before eligible for benefits and a year for a vacation. If they don’t like that then there’s the door because there was always someone else who would take their place.
Nice sweat shop you work at. You must be proud.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:54 PM

905 posts, read 791,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
I would never work for a company with that sort of requirement. There may always people who would take the place of those who don't like it, but a company like that won't attract qualified and desirable candidates for the position. The companies that do draw those candidates offer much better benefits. The last corporate job I worked, I accrued time off from day one and it wasn't on some probationary/temporary basis, either. I actually turned down several positions that required a 90 day probationary period. Either they wanted to hire me right off or they didn't. I never went more than a week between jobs and that was because I wanted to take a week in between.
Agreed. Glad I've never even come close to encountering such policies or attitudes, which are not the norm.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:54 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,164,638 times
Unless it's an emergency, I wait a year, or at least six months.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:59 AM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Unless it's an emergency, I wait a year, or at least six months.
Same here, you don't get a second chance at a first impression.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:29 AM

779 posts, read 472,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Depends on the company.

Read your company's benefit handbook

I am in Ohio which is an "at will" state. If you asked me for a week off after 6 months, don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out
LMAO. Forget working for people and companies that espouse this attitude. Not just "don't ask," but I'd fire ya. What a miserable existence working for such a place/person.

I'm not saying I'd ask for a whole week after 6 months, but I might consider it. Definitely after a year.

I've always worked for companies that understood that you work hard, you play hard.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:08 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,446,452 times
Quote:
What's the difference?
I thought the whole PTO thing was done to lump sick, personal, vacation, and floating holidays into one pool...

Anyhow, everywhere I've worked you either start accruing on day one, or day ninety, or at the beginning or middle of the year (one place dumped 1/2 your PTO into the "bank" Jan 1, the other 1/2 June 30.)

The 90 day thing seems pretty common.

Anyhow, most places I've worked by month 6 you aren't the new guy anymore.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:07 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
That hasn't been my experience at all. If I take a whole week off, I would be coming back to ALOT of work. So, much that I wouldn't be able to catch up by month end.
Yeah, same for my company. I give my employees a lot of leeway, I treat them more like I want to be treated, but we still have a business to run. It's a hardship for me if my VP of Business Development (sales / marketing) takes a week off because she basically runs the company. I have stepped aside this year and am not involved in the day-to-day of the company, just big picture initiatives. Even when I was involved, though, I managed the "getting the job done" part, not the client relations part, so most of our clients barely know who I am or have any contact with me. That's exactly how I like it as I don't have the patience to deal with all clients. I'd say I'm good with 50% of them, the other 50% I'd probably tell them where to shove it and we'd lose them as a client, so I like to have a buffer between me and the client :P

My sales lady is great, though, when she does take a week off in a row she does it during our slow times, and she still responds to work e-mails that are vital, so we don't really miss a beat. More often than not she'll do something like take a Friday and a Monday off for a four-day weekend, which is great as it doesn't affect things much at all. She can work ahead a bit, then recover a bit, but not slow us down.

In a small company, there's simply nobody to "cover" for a missing employee. We only have her and our editor, so if our editor leaves town, which he does sometimes, we have to arrange freelance work to keep the train moving along smoothly.

When my GF took her job, we already had a trip scheduled just weeks after she started, so she told them that and they didn't have any issues with it. She's also part-time, though, so she doesn't even really put in "vacation requests." Well, she does, but they're not requests. They're like, "I am leaving on vacation at X time" and if they have a problem with it, basically they can shove the job up their bums, since it won't affect our vacation plans lol. I think the fact she's one of their best workers and the fact they know she doesn't in any way, shape, or form need that job makes them basically very... docile. It's too much effort to train new employees, and she does a lot of that training for them anyway. If more employees knew how much power they actually have, they'd probably wield it more often. I know I'd be sunk without my sales lady, I'd probably close the company, so I make sure she's well compensated and that her needs are taken care of, including if she needs to step out a few hours in the middle of the day and make up the time later (it's work from home, anyway), I just want my employees to be happy. If they're not, they'll go find work elsewhere.

If you're not that important to your company, you should already be worried, frankly. Make yourself invaluable and you'd be surprised how much power you have, even if you're not the boss. I'm the boss, but when it comes down to it, we are only successful because of the hard work of the employees. Keeping them happy is really my main responsibility.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:00 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,292 times
90 days, unless you mention it before accepting. And nothing longer than a day or two before 6 months usually. After that we are encouraged to take 1-2 week vacations a couple times a year. I’ve alrwady taken two two-week blocks and am taking a week off in sept. Will probably take another week around the holidays. But we get 7 wks a year starting and it goes up every year so...not the norm.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:40 PM

9 posts, read 6,754 times
I might take a day after 3 or 4 months, but I would not take a week or longer until I have been there 6 months. I would definitely be taking time off within the first year. I would not want to work for any company that did not allow paid time off in the first 12 months. In Year 1, I'd probably take under 10 days.

For Year 2 onwards, I normally take around 15 days of complete vacation per year (3 x 1 week vacations when I am not doing any work) and perhaps another 5 days of work-ation when I am on vacation but working 75% of my normal level. If I was restricted to less than 15 days, I doubt very much that I would work for the company.

If I had pre-arranged a vacation before taking a new job, I would cancel the vacation. The new employer would never hear about it. I do not feel any need for a new employer to even have to consider a request for this. However, on the flip side, I am now in a hiring position, and I would consider these requests from new applicants. Honestly though, it would be a negative mark against that person. Much as I truly encourage people to take vacation time so that they can work at their full potential, I would place getting to know the new job as more important than a week of drunken fun in Cancun. Especially if it was within the first 6 months.

I tend to stay in jobs for 5+ years, so, I have 5 companies that I have worked for in my working career. Normally, I don't feel the need for a vacation within the first 6 months as it is all new to me and the change of job feels like a vacation. I also feel it shows my level of commitment to the new company that I am giving it 100% to get up to speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment