Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 10:56 AM

801 posts, read 548,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
The issue is that monopolies like Amazon and Walmart are ruining the economy. Or better said, they 'have ruined' the economy.

Without proper competition- which this present economy does not have- your entire premise is invalid.
They can just NOT take the job. If enough people refuse to work for $18/hr or w.e., Amazon will be force to pay more or figure out another way to get their stuff delivered.

Why shouldn't Amazon try to spend as little money as possible to get the desired results?? That's what every business do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 12:35 PM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
You don't have to use the standard (per mile) method. People can use the actual method which could be more beneficial for older cars because they can deduct actual gas, actual insurance, actual tire cost, actual repair cost etc. It doesn't have to be 54 cents per mile.

Those costs don't come close to the mileage deduction. As I said insurance is no more than $20 a month, tires are needed every few years. Gas is a very real expense they see every day but again if you drive 800 miles in a week (typical from what I've heard). At .545 a mile that's a deduction of $436. Gas at 35 MPG (many drive hybrids so it's higher but let's us this) is $58. So that still leaves $378 on the table. Nobody is spending $378 per week on tires, maintenance or cleaning supplies.

So it's beneficial to use the standard rate, assuming you are driving an older reliable car which is why so many Uber drivers are seen driving Toyotas and Hondas. Trust me I did the research before deciding to do this part time. I didn't want to pay myself with my car's depreciation even though I do this very occasionally. I talked to a whole lot of people who have been doing this full time for years. The scenario I have explained is how it actually works with people who actual do this rather than those here who are only speculating.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 11-26-2018 at 12:53 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 01:16 PM

801 posts, read 548,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Those costs don't come close to the mileage deduction. As I said insurance is no more than $20 a month, tires are needed every few years. Gas is a very real expense they see every day but again if you drive 800 miles in a week (typical from what I've heard). At .545 a mile that's a deduction of $436. Gas at 35 MPG (many drive hybrids so it's higher but let's us this) is $58. So that still leaves $378 on the table. Nobody is spending $378 per week on tires, maintenance or cleaning supplies.

So it's beneficial to use the standard rate, assuming you are driving an older reliable car which is why so many Uber drivers are seen driving Toyotas and Hondas. Trust me I did the research before deciding to do this part time. I didn't want to pay myself with my car's depreciation even though I do this very occasionally. I talked to a whole lot of people who have been doing this full time for years. The scenario I have explained is how it actually works with people who actual do this rather than those here who are only speculating.
Thank you for shedding some light at this thread's desperate attempt at making Amazon looking like a bad guy.

So many people here seem to think along the line of "There is no way I could make this type of gig work FOR ME. Therefore, those who do it are a bunch of idiots that are been taken advantage of."

Apparently, some here also think so highly of themselves to the point where they can't accept that Uber/Flex/Lift drivers are capable of doing basic math at the same level as them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
A professional independent contractor is expected to be able to calculate their actual expenses in bidding out a contract. The average person looking to earn some money driving deliveries with their own vehicle at a rate set by others is not going to be so savvy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post

Jesus freaking Christ, dude... Why do you think so little of these people??

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 11-26-2018 at 01:36 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Thank you for shedding some light at this thread's desperate attempt at making Amazon looking like a bad guy.

So many people here seem to think along the line of "There is no way I could make this type of gig work FOR ME. Therefore, those who do it are a bunch of idiots that are been taken advantage of."

Apparently, some here also think so highly of themselves to the point where they can't accept that Uber/Flex/Lift drivers are capable of doing basic math at the same level as them.

This is a common problem, people look at delivery people and drivers as failures and idiots. I won't deny there is that segment, and I have no idea if this Amazon thing is a good job or not I was talking about the ride share crowd. And trust me the ride share crowd understands the business and if it works or not, that should be obvious as they are still happily doing it years later.

And yes you have no boss as a poster challenged. The riders are CUSTOMERS they are not your boss. Jobs with bosses also have customers and their satisfaction determines if you remain employed or not, just like the Uber customers. That's why the whole thing works. Drivers and riders are all rated. If you have a dirty car and provide crappy service your ratings will reflect that and eventually you will have no job. At the same time this is also true with riders, too many low ratings and savvy drivers will know not to pick you up so there is a price to pay for behaving poorly on both ends. But no you have no boss looking over your work, you are on your own and that's one of the benefits.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:26 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,100,457 times
Quote:

$20 a month for insurance? Does your insurance company know you are using the vehicle for commercial deliveries and not just personal use? Do they know how many miles you are putting on the vehicle? And are you figuring part of the car payment and/or depreciation in your costs? Underestimating expenses is why some of these jobs look so good.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
$20 a month for insurance? Does your insurance company know you are using the vehicle for commercial deliveries and not just personal use? Do they know how many miles you are putting on the vehicle? And are you figuring part of the car payment and/or depreciation in your costs? Underestimating expenses is why some of these jobs look so good.
I do not know how many more times I need to repeat myself. Yes I told my insurance company before starting that I was considering ride share and they said there was no additional charge, it now shows on my policy as "commercial use". Others have said it costs about $15-$20/month on their policies. Of course depreciation, repairs, and the need for a replacement car is factored in. I have explained all of this repeatedly. Again people already have cell phones and a car, nobody is buying a separate car to ride share. They just wear out sooner and they are all aware of this so the next one will not be a 2 year old BMW, it will be a 6 year old Prius.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:06 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
None of these expenses are new. I had the exact same car depreciation etc. when I Drove for Domino's 30+ years ago. Some nights I was putting 100 miles a night on my car all within a 5 mile radius area. For minimum wage plus tips plus mileage reimbursement at whatever the Fed rate was. And I still made more than I would have flipping burgers. And even more than that I liked it, it was a fun job. I am a restless person, I loved being able to come and go for my workday instead of being chained to one spot.

You're acting like this is some kind of new thing, incurring car costs for a job. Also ignoring the fact thousands of commuters have car costs just as high, with no reimbursement.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:57 AM

Yeah I mentioned commuting costs in an earlier post that obviously includes depreciation, gas, repairs, and possibly parking costs.
Unless you have a crazy commute it's not close to a ride share miles but it's a very real cost that needs to be factored into that $14/hour accounting clerk salary

Old 11-27-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I do not know how many more times I need to repeat myself. Yes I told my insurance company before starting that I was considering ride share and they said there was no additional charge, it now shows on my policy as "commercial use". Others have said it costs about $15-$20/month on their policies. Of course depreciation, repairs, and the need for a replacement car is factored in. I have explained all of this repeatedly. Again people already have cell phones and a car, nobody is buying a separate car to ride share. They just wear out sooner and they are all aware of this so the next one will not be a 2 year old BMW, it will be a 6 year old Prius.
I just read this again and I apologize to MidValleyDad if he's still around. This post came off much harsher than I had intended. I was just tired of so many people doubting my comments but it was completely understandable if you had not seen my previous posts.

Sorry again.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:20 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,231,480 times
Flex delivery, uber, lyft - these are short term things. One cannot do this long term, eventually they have to replace the car and one won't have the money to do that.

In effect, these "gigs" are nothing but a very slow way of selling a junky old car. One is just converting it to cash over many months. If one is lucky and don't total it in a car accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment