Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 10:05 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
So many people create problems for themselves.

They don't put in more effort because 'the company isn't worth it'. That leads to them not building new skills, not being able to keep up with co-workers, so when layoffs happen, the people who don't put in effort are the first to go (or they are left behind, not promoted, etc).

When those other people get ahead, those same people try to protect their poor choices by claiming 'nepotism' or 'networking' is how other people actually got ahead. You can work hard without getting stressed out. 'coasting' all but guarantees someone will get behind on their skillset, and more often than not puts people into stagnant careers.

Obviously a large number of people will disagree with me here, especially how anti-work this forum is.
That obviously depends on the quality of the company and the management running the company and the operations. Generally, if management is quality, (And employees are treated with respect and there is career growth) people will work hard. But if the company is dysfunctional, then the first to be let go will be non-connected people. And the hard work, skills, etc. won't make a lick of different anyways.

Many companies don't have a ladder to climb and all positions are filled from people OUTSIDE The company. If there is no internal promotions (because the refused to invest in their workforce and grow their workforce) then there is absolutely no reason to do anything other than coast.

Generally it doesn't take too long to look at the landscape of the company and determine whether or not its in your own best interest to coast or not.

Management 9 times out of 10, lays the foundation of whether or not employees "coast" or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 10:14 AM

780 posts, read 425,526 times
I put in the effort required get the requisite job duties done. Sometimes that means a pretty slow week, other times it means a few late nights. Every once in awhile, I'll throw in a process improvement project of my own accord to pad my resume. Hasn't failed me yet.

If you're working (and I mean actually working) a ton of hours over 35-40 each week, and you're not the proprietor of the business, then it's probably a workload issue, efficiency issue, or a mix of the two.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Obviously a large number of people will disagree with me here, especially how anti-work this forum is.
I think it's a pretty even split on this forum. There are plenty of people who look down their noses at those who see work as a means to an end rather than a defining life characteristic. I also think we see what we want to see. We pit ourselves against each other over trivial matters. It's "Us" against "Them". The "Good Guys" vs. the "Bad Guys". The "producers" vs. the "leeches".

Some people value work/life balance. Some people value devoting themselves to the quantity and quality of the work they do. Outside of Puritan cultures, there is nothing inherently wrong about the former, and there is nothing inherently superior about the latter. If you want to work 55+ hours a week because you absolutely love what you do, and you get great pleasure out of producing whatever it is you produce, then so be it. If you leave after 8 hours each day so you can get home to your family, then so be it.

I think we should all practice being a little less judgmental towards each other. When it's all said and done, nobody will have been counting besides yourself. Nobody's going to care unless the product of your efforts changed the world in some significant, benevolent way. We'll mostly be forgotten after we're dead. So really, who the heck cares what you do...For many, it's time to grow up and accept who you are and what you want from this life, and do whatever it takes to do that thing, and stop worrying and complaining about what everyone else is doing.

Last edited by Sir Quotes A Lot; 03-25-2019 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 10:37 AM

363 posts, read 482,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If you were an employer, would you hire a worker or a coaster?

If the job you are doing isn't worth your best efforts, find another job. The self-respect you gain will be immeasurable. You won't have to use a public forum to brag about how little you do at work because your attitude sux.

No, I don't consider myself an "Alpha who puts in 12 hour days". Eight daily hours was enough, but during those eight I did my absolute best for my employer. No slacking. No coasting.
" At face value, admitting to coasting in the workplace seems like a bad thing. Unlike others, who are putting in extra hours every day and tearing their hair out with stress, you’re plodding along, leaving on time when you’ve finished your day’s work. But is that really such a terrible thing?"

See my definition of coaster is different, I base it more on the article's definition. I would consider you a coaster. You do your eight hours... and you go home.

Prior to me making a conscious decision I would become a coaster: I would bring my work home, I would check and respond to emails, take phone calls after hours and on weekends, work on budgets on Sundays, be up til midnight to get a project in early, volunteer to work on special projects. Granted, all of this work, has gotten me promoted multiple times but my health has suffered big time because of it though. Seventy pounds, tired, and a bad back due to all of the extra hours impeding on time I should be focusing on my well-being.

The problem with being the go-getter who is always available is when you decide to coast and just handle your work 9-5 only, your boss still has no problem calling you to get updated numbers despite the fact you are in the middle of nowhere Alabama on your way to your vacation with your family. They have no problem expecting you to answer your email while you are on vacation and get that document over to the auditors, etc. etc.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:37 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
I'd aim to be better than average. But if for some reason I am particularly good at something, I might as well go for being the best, but not go above that.

Keep in mind, a lot of people like to praise a workaholic, but it's a disorder. I don't think anyone looks back on their lives and wishes they put in 60 hours a week instead of 45, knowing time and health are more valuable.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:47 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
That obviously depends on the quality of the company and the management running the company and the operations. Generally, if management is quality, (And employees are treated with respect and there is career growth) people will work hard. But if the company is dysfunctional, then the first to be let go will be non-connected people. And the hard work, skills, etc. won't make a lick of different anyways.

Many companies don't have a ladder to climb and all positions are filled from people OUTSIDE The company. If there is no internal promotions (because the refused to invest in their workforce and grow their workforce) then there is absolutely no reason to do anything other than coast.

Generally it doesn't take too long to look at the landscape of the company and determine whether or not its in your own best interest to coast or not.

Management 9 times out of 10, lays the foundation of whether or not employees "coast" or not.
You're shooting yourself in the foot. By coasting, you're not building your skillset, and making yourself unattractive for your next job. Coasting all but guarantees someone will stay in that low quality job that they dislike for years. There's no reason to coast, outside of being content staying in the same place and not progressing in a career.

That was a huge part of my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I think it's a pretty even split on this fourm. There are plenty of people who look down their noses at those who see work as a means to an end rather than a defining life characteristic. I also think we see what we want to see. We pit ourselves against each other over trivial matters. It's "Us" against "Them". The "Good Guys" vs. the "Bad Guys". The "producers" vs. the "leeches".

Some people value work/life balance. Some people value devoting themselves to the quantity and quality of the work they do. Outside of Puritan cultures, there is nothing inherently wrong about the former, and there is nothing inherently superior about the latter. If you want to work 55+ hours a week because you absolutely love what you do, and you get great pleasure out of producing whatever it is you produce, then so be it. If you leave after 8 hours each day so you can get home to your family, then so be it.

I think we should all practice being a little less judgmental towards each other. When it's all said and done, nobody will have been counting besides yourself. Nobody's going to care unless the product of your efforts changed the world in some significant, benevolent way. We'll mostly be forgotten after we're dead. So really, who the heck cares what you do...For many, it's time to grow up and accept who you are and what you want from this life, and do whatever it takes to do that thing, and stop worrying and complaining about what everyone else is doing.
I never said work more hours, or work unpaid overtime. I said work hard. If you're paid for 40 hours/week, put all you have into that 40 hours. Trying to make things easier for you while at work just leads to slower advancement, and more job dissatisfaction. The people who do that more often than not end up bitter about work, from my experience.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetoughkitty View Post

The problem with being the go-getter who is always available is when you decide to coast and just handle your work 9-5 only, your boss still has no problem calling you to get updated numbers despite the fact you are in the middle of nowhere Alabama on your way to your vacation with your family. They have no problem expecting you to answer your email while you are on vacation and get that document over to the auditors, etc. etc.
This is exactly what I have observed. It's about setting expectations about what is appropriate and what isn't. Thankfully, my co-workers and managers are very respectful of my personal time. I do always tell them to call me with any immediate concerns while I'm out, because I personally don't like the idea of leaving them stranded to sort out an issue that I can resolve more quickly. But even though I make myself available, they've probably reached out like 1% of the time I've been out.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:52 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I do what I have to to get by. I'm not going the extra mile for people that clearly don't care.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:41 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Some companies value the hard work and willingness to go above and beyond. Most don’t.

I think it’s becoming more and more evident that finding a quality employer today that actually values you and is managed properly, is the equivalent of winning the lottery. Don’t expect to find one. In the event you do, yes go the extra mile for them. The rest of the dumps? , why bother? If your aren’t valued your wasting your time busting your rear trying to “level up”. Chances are you will just be laid off in the end anyways due to crappy management decisions or the corrupt management dumping the unconnected workers to bring their buddies/relatives later

Do your 8 hours and leave. Don’t get too emotionally attached to these employers As stated, most aren’t even worth a hoot anyways

Last edited by DorianRo; 03-25-2019 at 12:51 PM..

Old 03-25-2019, 12:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If you were an employer, would you hire a worker or a coaster?

If the job you are doing isn't worth your best efforts, find another job. The self-respect you gain will be immeasurable. You won't have to use a public forum to brag about how little you do at work because your attitude sux.

No, I don't consider myself an "Alpha who puts in 12 hour days". Eight daily hours was enough, but during those eight I did my absolute best for my employer. No slacking. No coasting.

I don't think coasting necessarily means doing a bad job. I've have done work that was very difficult to learn and was challenging for 2-3 years at least. But sometimes you get to the point where you are so proficient, the work feels very routine and less effort is needed to do a good job. And you can also max out on ways to do the job better. There are better things to complain about than this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment