Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 04:01 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossommm View Post
The money was on the bottom shelf of candy. So the cashier didnt even see it. It seems immature but i never experienced this before. I just dont understand how its store policy when i wasnt clocked in and my jacket was on. I was technically a customer at the time.
Even if you "never experienced this before" wouldn't some sense of ethical behavior TELL you not to keep something valuable that isn't yours??? Were you raised by wolves or something? What you did was wrong. Don't try to rationalize your way out of it with "clocked out, jacket on, on the candy shelf, not sure if seen by anyone, covered up by rummaging in my purse", blah blah blah. Finding a dime on a sidewalk is one thing. Finding $100 on the floor of a business right where money is being actively handled is quite another. Keeping it was a crappy thing to do to someone else. Spending it without making any attempt to return it was much worse.

Whether you will be fired or not is debatable. If they have evidence, they may fire you for stealing...either from a customer or from the register. You know its one of the two. Just as you have to face your conscience you have to face your employer and go to work. Confessing might ease your anxiety and your conscience a tiny bit but IMHO you deserve to squirm for a while. If you are lucky your employer may know by now who missed the bill so you would be able to return it to them, or allow you to return the money to the register. Yes, even though you spent it. Don't even start with that excuse. As they say, crime doesn't pay. Hope you learn it sooner than later.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-27-2019 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 05:56 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The money did not belong to the store. Go ask an accountant how audits are done.

Op- it wasn't in a safe or register. Nor was it on a person's body. Unsure how it's theft.
The money also doesn't belong to OP. The store would be better equipped to get the money back to the person it does belong to, as someone else pointed out. It's possible they have a policy that if the money isn't claimed after X amount of time, the person who found it gets it.

It's theft because the money does not belong to OP. Because someone else may come looking for it. Because if you were to drop or lose something, presumably you'd want to get it back, not skip off happily singing a cheerful song about "I guess someone else gets my phone/wallet/credit cards/dog, teehee!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I found $5 on a the floor of a bar/grill I kept it. If I had handed it in, I doubt if anyone but the person I handed it to, would have seen it. I do not consider that theft, or the property of the landlord. I have also found small bills on the sidewalk, & I also kept them.

OP whatever you decide, you need to show up for your shift today.
$5 and "small bills" is a far cry from $100.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:04 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Quote:
No. Im not looking for sugar coated answers. I want the truth. Yes im being impatient because i rather not come in tonight if im getting fired. I know I was wrong and i feel guilty because this never happened to me before. I believe i have evidence because the cashier is looking at me funny now and the other employee that was there is looking at me funny too.
Why would you not go to work just because you think you’ll be fired? Don’t you want to know for certain? Don’t you want a resolution to this? Be an adult, go to work and face the music.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,858 times
Mod cut.

No one knows whether you'll be fired, so no one can comment on that. Many people have said that. No one, including you, knows what your boss saw or is thinking. You posted, you were feeling bad about what happened (although I am seeing that you didn't feel bad about taking $100 that didn't belong to you, only that you might get caught doing it and suffer a consequence), and you got responses based on that.

Ok, you want to know if we can predict if you will get fired? I can only say your chances of getting fired are much higher if you don't show up.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-27-2019 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:42 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
The money was on the bottom shelf of candy. So the cashier didnt even see it. It seems immature but i never experienced this before. I just dont understand how its store policy when i wasnt clocked in and my jacket was on. I was technically a customer at the time.
You're also assuming the $100 bill is actually genuine

You could be holding a counterfeit $100 bill which someone tried to pass and then tossed to get rid of it.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:31 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Again. Your misinformed. I worked retail and based on your poorly structure statement.....if I leave my car keys on the stores property. The store owns my car then??? d.
No. The car keys belong to you, so of course it wouldn't be theft. But the $100 bill never belonged to you in the first place.

Do you know the difference between things that belong to you and things that don't? Your clothes you wear to work, your purse or handbag, wallet, keys, anything you wear into the store is all your stuff, of course.

But something you find at work isn't yours. It is the property of the owner of the store. You just work there. Would you go in a friend's house and find money on their floor and keep it?

Old 04-27-2019, 10:52 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I love desert diamonds. They're gorgeous.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:28 AM

27 posts, read 18,963 times
I showed up to work. The vibe is weird but im still cautious and nervous.

I just dont want my time wasted. I dont want to be used for work. Just call and tell me im fired.

I do feel bad for the act not just the consequences. I spent the money on my car repair and i just feel bad that i made a stupid decision. I just dont like the tight mouthed stuff and acting weird. Just be up front.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:17 AM

32,651 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
.......if I leave my car keys on the stores property. The store owns my car then??? Hardly. See now how I blew your statement to pieces. Now take some time to clarify reasonably how it's theft if an item is found.

If you leave your car keys at a store and one of the clerks picks them up, the clerk gets to keep your car because the car doesn't belong to the store and the clerk found the keys, so it isn't stealing? Which is what you seem to be arguing, that OP gets to keep the money because OP found it and it doesn't belong to the store?

The money should have been turned in and placed in the lost and found and dealt with according to store policy. Would it make you feel better if we specify that the OP stole from one of the store's customers?

Taking $100 that doesn't belong to you is stealing the money. Yes, if OP gets caught there is a very high chance of being fired with a bad job reference. Stores where money is handled generally don't want to have thieves working for them.

(wondering, Nov, if you lean your bicycle against the store while you shop and I find it there, I can take it because I found it and it doesn't belong to the store? That wouldn't be theft under your definition you give above)

Old 04-28-2019, 08:28 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
So*i came into work and before i clocked in i bought something to eat. My coworker was ringing me out and i was scrounging for change in my purse becasue i didnt want to break the bigger bill since im getting my car fixed. Well when i looked down, i saw 100 bucks on the ground so i grabbed it. I thought for a few secs and then kept it. My coworker was*looking down while filling out my stickers but idk if its the paranoia or was she playing it off and was testing me. Either way the camera will show i was looking down and digging in my purse and then i was gathering my things. So it kinda looks like i was picking up something that couldve fell out of my purse.

But im still scared and felt like i shouldve just turned it in. But finders keepers smh. I was basically a customer because i wasnt even clocked in yet. Its not like i took from the register or*behind it. I would never do*that.
You're a thief, and you're trying to justify your theft. I hope they do fire you and call the police, hopefully after the longest possible agonizing wait for you. Keep looking over your shoulder... they're coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment