Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 01:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Fine, there's always a better applicant.

Except when the same job is relisted several times. Even with a resume and experience that closely aligns with the list of job requirements, they don't call me. They just keep searching for... someone else with matching skills and experience. I must be silly to think my unavoidably long resume is any factor.
A job being listed doesn’t necessarily mean there’s an actual opening. Sometimes recruiters at a company do that just to collect resumes and fluff up their metrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 01:10 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
You always see the working world through rose colored glasses. Why is that always the case?
Age discrimination is real. One of the reasons for age discrimination is that one failed to rise up through the ranks. Management knows that by the time a person gets to a certain age they don't buy the BS that compels them to work two or three hours a day past quitting time.

Did you ever think that some people just enjoy what they do and choose not to go over to the dark side?
There are some fields where you can be a seasoned individual contributor and where age and experience is seen positively.

There are also some people who keep their skills and network fresh and can find a position easily.

But then there are those who stayed in a company or position too long, who never aspired to grow their career, and who feel it’s all on the employer to train them. These are the people who should be concerned.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Nothing in this cheap saloon is substantiated.

It's discussion, not a courtroom. If a few dozen participants describe situations that quack just like age discrimination, the focus is not to try and disprove them all but to discuss what these observers are reporting. Your persistent one-sentence dismissals that there ain't no setch animal contribute... nothing.
For your own mental health while in your job search, is it better to maintain hope or to psych yourself out over your age? The fact remains that EVERYONE regardless of age experience the same things you mentioned.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:54 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How is it empty? While all forms of discrimination exist, I've yet to see (on CD ) a super strong candidate who had trouble finding employment because of age only. We are subjected to unsubstantiated anecdotal claims. Can we really parse out that the claimant truly was the best candidate?

Also, how is age being determined from a resume with unnecessary dates removed?
I didn't read through this entire thread so excuse me if someone else brought it up, but who doesn't put dates on a resume? Is that something new? I have always put dates on mine as I want employers to see how long I have been at a position/company. Wouldn't they find out the dates at some point before being hired anyway? As one who has hired employee's for several companies, I would be irritated if I received a resume without dates. Sorry, just never heard of this before!

Old 05-06-2019, 01:58 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I know of a case, but it made logical sense. A person I knew had an engineering degree but became a firefighter. She got hurt on the job. Years later she got a masters as an rn. In her early 50s no one would hire her. She went to some of the least desirable hospitals for the worse shifts and couldn’t get hired.
She told me her age was the problem. Whoever hired her would be utilizing current rns to train and watch over her. From the hospital point of view they didn’t want to invest that time into someone who might retire in 10 years. They felt it was a better investment to hire a person with the same degree at age 25 who they could get 30 to 40 years out of.
I followed this because I had thought of going back to school to be an rn but I too would have had the same age problems. Glad I didn’t waste years only to find I wouldn’t have a job.
Maybe it was the location? My Aunt went back to school in late 40's and became an RN. Not only did she have no problem finding a good job, she had multiple offers. Lives in Wisconsin.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:49 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
For your own mental health while in your job search, is it better to maintain hope or to psych yourself out over your age? The fact remains that EVERYONE regardless of age experience the same things you mentioned.
I haven't read anyone here who is "psyched out over their age." It certainly hasn't stopped me from continuing my job search on the most productive bases I can muster.

But - Comcast just fished for staff with somewhat unusual qualifications combining technical writing for a public audience with some strong graphics, web management and other skills. It's a subset of my skills but I could tick every box with fully qualified experience.

The same day I got a (rare) email saying thanks but they were moving on, the job was relisted. Not a phone call. Not a followup. Not an interview. Yet on paper (metaphorically speaking), I was an excellent candidate for the position.

So maybe they connected my real name with some of the pseudonymous bitching about cable systems I've posted? Or maybe my too-tall resume got me tossed by meta processors... or a recruiter who has the traditional bias that only a young, fresh crowd can possibly do this kind of work? (Heavens, I might use a word that's been out of fashion for ten years...)

Repeat a couple of hundred times, and I should be psyched out about my age, or something. But I'm not.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:58 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Hope is not a strategy. Rather than rely on hope, it's better to understand the opponent and devise strategies that play to your strengths rather than to his. Acknowledging that something exists and countering it is better than pretending it doesn't. That's what people are asking for on here -- ideas, suggestions and alternatives that work in that environment.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:01 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
No double standard. I was making a point. If a woman or person of color speaks about potential discrimination, perhaps believe them.
You hear that WHOOSHING sound? That was my point flying over your head.

And if someone who is older speaks about potential discrimination, how about YOU believe them as knee-jerk as you believe the other people you believe?

Old 05-06-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I've seen dozens of unsubstantiated claims of age discrimination. How do we verify these claims without comparing the resume to the job posting?
And yet you never saw any unsubstantiated claims of anti-LGBT or anti-race discrimination.

You're not asking to verify the claims without comparing the resume to the job posting for those cases.

Double standard = corruption.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
So you know FOR SURE that your resume is the very best out of all submissions for EVERY SINGLE job you apply for? There's just no way at all that there are candidates that better align to the job?

Even in my company, for internal jobs I've gotten, the policy is that the job is posted over and over (yes, externally) until the final offer is finalized. So, seeing a repeated posting could have NOTHING to do with any applicant.
If Quietude was an LGBT black woman in transition, you would never question the discrimination.

But hey, double standards are still corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment